Wilshere (and Shelvey) Left Out of England Squad

Robbotoon
Pope's Goalposts

Re: Wilshere (and Shelvey) Left Out of England Squad

Post by Robbotoon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Heisen wrote:I predict a thoroughly depressing last 16 exit, where the inquests will open and everyone will be wondering what we do differently going forward. Southgate will be sacked and Steve Bruce will be appointed. Then we'll thrash Moldova 4-0 in September and it'll all start again.

Welcome to the England boom bust cycle.
<ok>

Robbotoon
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Robbotoon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I don’t think we will get out the group

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Heisen wrote:I predict a thoroughly depressing last 16 exit, where the inquests will open and everyone will be wondering what we do differently going forward. Southgate will be sacked and Steve Bruce will be appointed. Then we'll thrash Moldova 4-0 in September and it'll all start again.

You're forgetting the part where a tabloid paper tries to f*** over someone like Harry Kane before the tournament even starts. He'll be accused of something, tricked into making a shady business deal or an ex will come out of the woodwork and say he enjoyed her wearing a strap on and shafting him up his arse.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm

We'll draw vs Tunisia, smash Panama then beat Belgium. Get Colombia in the last 16 and destroy them giving everyone hope.

Germany in the quarters and it'll be a massacre.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:

You're forgetting the part where a tabloid paper tries to **** over someone like Harry Kane before the tournament even starts. He'll be accused of something, tricked into making a shady business deal or an ex will come out of the woodwork and say he enjoyed her wearing a strap on and shafting him up his arse.
<laugh>

Just watch, the same journalists and pundits that are today praising Southgate for dropping Hart and Wilshere and taking the youngsters will be ripping him apart for it the second we go out, saying the squad had no experience and that he was a fool for taking the kids.

Like when Shearer sat in the studio after the loss to Iceland and said going forward England had to appoint a young vibrant manager as Hodgson had proved that the older generation weren't cut out for it. Then wrote a week later we needed to appoint Steve Bruce and was delighted when they appointed Allardyce.

Bunch of hypocrites the lot of them.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:

You're forgetting the part where a tabloid paper tries to **** over someone like Harry Kane before the tournament even starts. He'll be accused of something, tricked into making a shady business deal or an ex will come out of the woodwork and say he enjoyed her wearing a strap on and shafting him up his arse.
He was always the daddy with me :(

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Magdia wrote:
Colly wrote:
If I'm taking Shelvey it's certainly not over either of those two.

Also, "arguably" <laugh>. The team that just won the league breaking records for wins, goals and points, and the team in the Champions League final.
Alli has been in and out of form but he can boss some of the best midfields in Europe on his day and Henderson has been quality for years now. Pretty much what Colly has said, how can you leave mainstays from two of the best teams in the country out? You can't even if you are bias towards Shelvey like we are.
Didn’t realise Tottenham won the league ?

Also I don’t think Alli has been in good form at all . Don’t get me wrong he’s a very good player but on form alone ( which is how an international team should be picked) he has been no better than Shelvey.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Toondes wrote:
Magdia wrote:
Alli has been in and out of form but he can boss some of the best midfields in Europe on his day and Henderson has been quality for years now. Pretty much what Colly has said, how can you leave mainstays from two of the best teams in the country out? You can't even if you are bias towards Shelvey like we are.

Also I don’t think Alli has been in good form at all . Don’t get me wrong he’s a very good player but on form alone ( which is how an international team should be picked) he has been no better than Shelvey.
9 goals in the league. 9. He deserves to go.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Magdia wrote:
Toondes wrote:

Does that mean he’s been in better form ? He’s playing in a much more creative team with better players . Anyway , it’s irrelevant but I would’ve take. Him, especially over Loftus-Cheek.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Toondes wrote:
Magdia wrote:

Apologies, I'm not sure which Man City player I substituted in there...

Regardless though, Alli has had a poorer season than the outstanding one last year, but he's hardly had a bad year. Shelvey has blown hot and cold up to that amazing run of form following the embarrassment of Burnley away, and that's ignoring any potential slips in terms of discipline or just plain concentration. First half of the season if you left him on after 60 minutes he was an utter liability, going into his pointing routine while wandering about doing nothing of note.

That said his play since then has been outstanding, and I'd have liked to have seen him go, but certainly not at the expense of Alli, who let's not forget a) doesn't play in Shelvey's position anyway, and b) has a good partnership with our best centre forward since Shearer.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Shelvey should be in, not because I think he should be ahead of Alli, Henderson or Dier, but because the squad is way too light in the CM and he should be in over one of the defenders.

JL in over one of the other defenders too. The kid is exactly what they should be looking for at CB (though I'm not surprised he was overlooked).

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Toondes wrote:
Magdia wrote:
Does that mean he’s been in better form ? He’s playing in a much more creative team with better players . Anyway , it’s irrelevant but I would’ve take. Him, especially over Loftus-Cheek.
Alli is miles ahead of Shelvey. I'd take Shelvey over Loftus-Cheek as well but people are acting like it's shocking he's not in the squad over Alli, Henderson and Dier ffs <laugh>

Shelvey is a good player, he offers something very different and if I was boss I'd start him vs Panama and Tunisia, he'll help break down a deep defence with his passing. Buuut I understand why he's been left out, he often goes missing, when his passing is off he offers nothing, he never wants to put his foot in, isn't high energy and doesn't score many goals.
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed May 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Magdia wrote:
Toondes wrote:

That's not mentioning the fact he got 10 assists as well.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 pm

I think I just wanted a NUFC player plying for England . Who was the last ? Carroll?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Townsend. Barely.

We all want it obviously, but then so do fans of other clubs, and to be brutally honest while I think Shelvey might have edged it for me over one of the far too many defenders, he's the only one I'd consider as I think it's too early for Lascelles (don't forget Clark was the stronger part of the partnership last season). Would have liked Shelvey in, but then I'm sure people would say the same about Wilshire and Lallana.

If Livermore gets a spot though...

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm

I'd love an NUFC player in there but none of them are shoe ins. Far from it despite what some people think.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 pm

End of the day England don't have managers anymore, the team is picked on an FA commitee, ever since the ex pros and pundits whined about foreign managers we have only ever brought in English yes men, that's why the likes of Pardew are linked all the time, and that's why nothing has changed over the last 5-6 years.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 am

Could you have imagined Shelvey tearing up Panama man, it'd be an exhibition for him. Instead we'll have Henderson and Dier passing sideways.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:End of the day England don't have managers anymore, the team is picked on an FA commitee, ever since the ex pros and pundits whined about foreign managers we have only ever brought in English yes men, that's why the likes of Pardew are linked all the time, and that's why nothing has changed over the last 5-6 years.
So depressing but true. One day it'll hopefully change.

Is there another country in the EU quite as fearful of change and modern ways of coaching as England? What good is it having 50 and 60 year old businessmen in charge of our Football Association? I'm genuinely interested if that is the case in other European nations as I have no idea.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 pm

I miss Sven, he was a right character.