World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Chappy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Worst ref of the tournament so far. 2 stonewall pennos denied. He wants f***ing castrating.

We could have wrapped the game up in the first half tbh, but good to see us keep our composure and see it through.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm
Worst ref of the tournament so far. 2 stonewall pennos denied. He wants f***ing castrating.

We could have wrapped the game up in the first half tbh, but good to see us keep our composure and see it through.
What about the much lauded VAR?

Those weren't even little things that were missed either.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 pm
Think we can put to bed any talk of England winning it <laugh>
2010: Pep won the league in Spain. Spain won the World Cup.

2014: Pep won the league in Germany. Germany won the World Cup.

2018: Pep won the league in England....

It's happening <ohnoes> <divadance>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

f***ing terrible refereeing. Walker should have had a red and Stones blatantly fouled someone in the box. We was robbed.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 am

ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm

I think the problem was the ref saw them and didn't think them penalties. Which was totally wrong, they were obvious, but I blame him more than the VAR.

Someone made a post about the number of penalties so far, but I've thought all of the penalties have been deserved and there's just been some brutal defending in the box. Besides this England match I've thought the refereeing pretty good - especially the lack of cards being called. I hate refs giving out too many yellows in tournaments when accumulating 2 results in a suspension.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 am

Having slept on it, regardless of how it came a win in a win in your first game. That's England qualified now given that there's no chance they'll fail to beat Panama. In the first half hour England were very good and should have scored more. There seems to be a different feeling around the camp this year, less fear.

I don't think they'll win it as someone like Spain would severely punish the mistakes that England always make, but don't see why they can't get to the QF stage then see how the luck of the draw is.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am

Footballs coming home!

Andy the German mag
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Andy the German mag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

I could only watch the first ten minutes of the England match, but those were among the best I've seen by any team in the tournament so far. And in the end you got the win no matter what, so that's something to build upon. The German display against Mexico was complete shambles, we will need a huge improvement for the game against Sweden if we're to scrape through the group stage...

I have to admit I haven't had the time to follow English football as intense for the last one and a half years, so I didn't know that Trippier was going to be a starter for England. <whistle> How do you rate his performance?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 am
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm

I think the problem was the ref saw them and didn't think them penalties. Which was totally wrong, they were obvious, but I blame him more than the VAR.

Someone made a post about the number of penalties so far, but I've thought all of the penalties have been deserved and there's just been some brutal defending in the box. Besides this England match I've thought the refereeing pretty good - especially the lack of cards being called. I hate refs giving out too many yellows in tournaments when accumulating 2 results in a suspension.
This has generally been pretty good, but the referee for Belgium vs Panama showed 7 cards or something. It wasn't even a dirty match <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:11 pm

The stupidest moment of the tournament so far goes to Carlos Sanchez, deliberate handball in the 3rd minute to prevent a goal, red card, penalty, 1-0 Japan <disgrace>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Joey from Friends is a ref?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm

bigbelgiandave wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 am

This has generally been pretty good, but the referee for Belgium vs Panama showed 7 cards or something. It wasn't even a dirty match <laugh>.
I definitely missed that one at work yesterday, but sounds ridiculous. I think it was Argentina vs Iceland that was a physical match, but no cards given, and the physicality never escalated either. Got all of the big decisions right too I thought.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:00 pm

I enjoyed us getting under their skin yesterday. Usually we are the ones getting wound up and frustrated. I must say this is a new look England team.

Southgate for Queen!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Really want Egypt to win to keep this group interesting as Uruguay will beat Saudi easily and then the final group games will actually mean something.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 pm

OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm
Really want Egypt to win to keep this group interesting as Uruguay will beat Saudi easily and then the final group games will actually mean something.
My thoughts as well! <whistle>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Bad luck...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Only 5 days into the competition and I need Saudi Arabia to beat Uruguay!

This is worse than following The Toon!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Andrzej niemiecki chlopak wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am
I could only watch the first ten minutes of the England match, but those were among the best I've seen by any team in the tournament so far. And in the end you got the win no matter what, so that's something to build upon. The German display against Mexico was complete shambles, we will need a huge improvement for the game against Sweden if we're to scrape through the group stage...

I have to admit I haven't had the time to follow English football as intense for the last one and a half years, so I didn't know that Trippier was going to be a starter for England. <whistle> How do you rate his performance?

Trippier was sensational. As was Maguire.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm
Andrzej niemiecki chlopak wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

Loftus Cheek and Rashford were very good as well, big fan of Loftus Cheek using muscle and skill to run at people.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 am

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm
ALF wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Loftus Cheek and Rashford were very good as well, big fan of Loftus Cheek using muscle and skill to run at people.
Yeah I thought he looked good.

Personally I didn't think that Maguire looked anything special.