World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Didn't take Ronaldo long to get his 4th goal of the WC.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:01 pm

FT: Ronaldo 1-0 Morocco.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 am
ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Loftus Cheek and Rashford were very good as well, big fan of Loftus Cheek using muscle and skill to run at people.
Yeah I thought he looked good.

Personally I didn't think that Maguire looked anything special.
Agreed. I thought he was a bit sloppy on the ball, and badly anticipated play at a few points. One particular example was him running forward really late to attempt an offside trap as play totally passed him by in the other direction. I did think he got better as the match wore on - though they also had less to do.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:38 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 am

Yeah I thought he looked good.

Personally I didn't think that Maguire looked anything special.
Agreed. I thought he was a bit sloppy on the ball, and badly anticipated play at a few points. One particular example was him running forward really late to attempt an offside trap as play totally passed him by in the other direction. I did think he got better as the match wore on - though they also had less to do.
It is good to see someone like Maguire being selected on merit, in the past England certainly would have started Cahill or Jones over him just because they play for bigger teams. I do think he'll get found out a bit against some of the better teams later in the competition though. As you say he doesn't always seem to read things that well, and I'm not sure if he is, but he seemed a bit slow v Tunisia so maybe hasn't got the speed to bail himself out of trouble. Good player but for me lacks the ability to read the game that the best CBs have.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 pm
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:38 pm

It is good to see someone like Maguire being selected on merit, in the past England certainly would have started Cahill or Jones over him just because they play for bigger teams. I do think he'll get found out a bit against some of the better teams later in the competition though. As you say he doesn't always seem to read things that well, and I'm not sure if he is, but he seemed a bit slow v Tunisia so maybe hasn't got the speed to bail himself out of trouble. Good player but for me lacks the ability to read the game that the best CBs have.
On what merit? I’m not sure what he offers that Lascelles doesn’t. He looked useless against us. Just a big wind up merchant trying to bait the strikers.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:05 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 pm

On what merit? I’m not sure what he offers that Lascelles doesn’t. He looked useless against us. Just a big wind up merchant trying to bait the strikers.
He's had a good season with Leicester, just because he might not have played well against us (I don't know if he did or not) doesn't mean he had a bad season. I don't see why he doesn't deserve a place in the squad, just because Lascelles wasn't licked doesn't mean that Maguire shouldn't have been picked.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Iran doing their best to make this game as boring as possible.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm
Fair play to them. They'd get slaughtered trying to take the game to Spain.

No-one had them down with a possible chance of progressing by the time the last group game came along so they're doing everything they can to nullify a great passing team and it's not easy to do.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:15 pm

OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm
Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm
Fair play to them. They'd get slaughtered trying to take the game to Spain.

No-one had them down with a possible chance of progressing by the time the last group game came along so they're doing everything they can to nullify a great passing team and it's not easy to do.
Yeah they're just look to frustrate them. Deadlock broken now though.. flukey goal.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 pm

That Iran goal looked ok to me... Didn't get a proper look at the replay though.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:24 pm
That Iran goal looked ok to me... Didn't get a proper look at the replay though.
This. Howard Webb is working for the Canadian television network showing it, so I'm curious to hear his say in the post-match.

Edit: I hadn't realized live that it had been flicked onto an offside player. Totally the right call.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Argentina <laugh>

Otamendi is a dirty cronut.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Hahahaha get in.

Cry for me Argentina mmm your tears of unfathomable sadness are delicious!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm

The more I see the top sides crash and burn or under perform the more I still believe.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Hjl wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm
The more I see the top sides crash and burn or under perform the more I still believe.
True, but Croatia are an excellent team and I certainly wouldn't be sticking any money on England if they came up against them. England always struggle against good technical sides and would definitely struggle against Croatia.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm
Hjl wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm
True, but Croatia are an excellent team and I certainly wouldn't be sticking any money on England if they came up against them. England always struggle against good technical sides and would definitely struggle against Croatia.
Argentina are ****. They made Croatia look like world-beaters.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Croatia would beat us, even before this. That midfield is immense. Never heard of him, but that Vida at centreback had a good game. A quick google shows him being linked with west ham and Everton for 13m. Which sounds about right.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 am

Japan Papa Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Oh yeah Argentina were dog s***, but that doesn't negate the fact that Croatia have been a really good side for a number of years now.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 am

Blještav Benny wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 am
Japan Papa Goku wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Oh yeah Argentina were dog s***, but that doesn't negate the fact that Croatia have been a really good side for a number of years now.
Their record at recent tournaments would suggest otherwise. They've got some quality players in Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic and Perisic but beyond that they're nothing special. Don't know how people are so sure they would beat England.