First Singaporean player in PL to complete national service

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

First Singaporean player in PL to complete national service

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44843403

Found this quite an interesting read. Obviously national service isn't something as prevalent here in Europe, but seems to be more common in Asia. Seen a lot lately about Son from Spurs in particular, missing the first few games this season because of the Asian games, and only playing in that as part of an agreement to defer his own national service for South Korea. That article goes on to say that the decision will be appealed, but it's unclear if it will actually be changed or not. One thing that stuck out for me from the Singaporean point of view was this:

"As all male Singaporeans liable for full-time NS put aside personal pursuits to dutifully enlist... it would not be fair to approve applications for deferment for individuals to pursue their own careers and development," said the Ministry of Defence in a statement.

Which is exactly what it is really. The argument against this is that he's missing key years of his footballing development, but that shouldn't really be a main concern in my view. Footballers shouldn't necessarily get a free pass just because they have a modicum of talent.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: First Singaporean player in PL to complete national service

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Agree.

Also, bring back national service here.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm
Agree.

f*** that. Don't want a bunch of scrotes joining up who will just snort coke behind the smoking sheds at the ranges. Drags the military down national service, it's already underfunded but what it has got is it's pride and professionalism (except when on the piss in some unsuspecting town <whistle> )

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Agreed. What have our armed forces done to deserve a load of workshy shits to deal with?

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 am

Also national service is one of those things that gets overwhelmingly supported by people who are too old to have to do it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 am
Also national service is one of those things that gets overwhelmingly supported by people who are too old to have to do it.
I'm 33 but have said for years I think that it's a good idea, I'd have happily done it and I don't fall into some of the stereotypes mentioned above. Yes you'd get some absolute tools in there, but you'd also get some bloody hard workers. In any case, l have a huge amount of respect for our armed forces, they're incredible. But let's not sugar coat it, there are a f*** load of knobheads who join up through the regular route.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Deano
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Deano » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 pm

If it wasn't for a medical condition I'd gladly have signed up for the navy but I don't think anyone should be forced to join the army

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Deano wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 pm
If it wasn't for a medical condition I'd gladly have signed up for the navy but I don't think anyone should be forced to join the army
I've been with Mrs BB since we were 17, if I'd been single after finishing college or uni it's something i'd seriously have looked into.

I think if you're in the forces and meet someone that's fine, they know that's your life and what they're signing up to. But it's a bit different if you've been with someone for several years and then said "i'm joining the army" as it is such a massive change.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I joined when I was 16 and left when I was 27 Best 11years of my life tbh. I definitely wouldnt agree with national service , the army doesn’t need them anyway.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Hopefully we never again find ourselves in a situation again where we have to call upon young men to join.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

National service is ideal for countries like Singapore and Switzerland, you're well-funded and you know you'll most likely never need to shoot anyone. If we could behave ourselves on the world stage I'd support it.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Last time I was in Singapore a load of my mates students were undertaking the physical tests.

Essentially if you ace it, your enlistment is reduced by two months so a load of 16 year olds are training constantly for 6 months to pass with merit.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm
Last time I was in Singapore a load of my mates students were undertaking the physical tests.

Essentially if you ace it, your enlistment is reduced by two months so a load of 16 year olds are training constantly for 6 months to pass with merit.
So they train for six months to get two months off? I realise it will be a significant different in intensity, but I do hope your friend isn't a maths teacher.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:26 am

Wife is Singaporean, her view is national service is as much about controlling the population's view on the country (its a "democracy") as any real need. I don't think with our courts we could 'enforce' the rules on those who don't respect authority. For the avoidance of doubt I think our justice system is better. It's also relatively cheap to do in a city state, there's one military base where they all go. Think of all the military bases you'd have to build over the country to house these lads.

In this country, we have generational inequality, rising costs of housing and low initial wages hit the young harder. Taking them out of the workforce and stalling their careers for a year or two won't help with this.
In Singapore, the vast majority of locals live in state housing, which has its quirks (you have to be married, bureaucracy) but is less expensive
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Nobbys Trumpet
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Nobbys Trumpet » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:37 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:04 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:56 pm
Agree.

**** that. Don't want a bunch of scrotes joining up who will just snort coke behind the smoking sheds at the ranges. Drags the military down national service, it's already underfunded but what it has got is it's pride and professionalism (except when on the piss in some unsuspecting town <whistle> )
This for me. Also do you want someone next to you in the firing line who doesn’t want to be there?!
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
Formerly - He Leapt About a Perch

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 am

National Service in the UK would be an absolute disaster. Training arseholes up to be in better physical condition and better at fighting. I'd also be a hypocrite as I would have done anything to get out of having to do it.
Kindly deeds done for free!