Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Newcastle: The club where tomorrow never comes

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:53 am

Hjl wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am
Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 pm
To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all. Start telling yourself that coz it’s the only way you’ll be able to cope with the heartache in a year when we have another no-namer managing us on a shoestring under the thumb of Ashley
Look at the bright side, in a few more season we may get to play Sunderland again.
<neg>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:07 am

Ashley and Rafa are playing the biggest game of Russian Roulette since the Deer Hunter it seems.

Ashley won't give any money until a new contract is signed and Rafa won't sign a new contract until he gets money, who'll blink first....
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:07 am
Ashley and Rafa are playing the biggest game of Russian Roulette since the Deer Hunter it seems.

Ashley won't give any money until a new contract is signed and Rafa won't sign a new contract until he gets money, who'll blink first....
Does Ashley really think that Rafa isn't a man of his word?! Give him what is reasonable and what he needs and he'll sign.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 am
lassassinblanc wrote:

Does Ashley really think that Rafa isn't a man of his word?! Give him what is reasonable and what he needs and he'll sign.
I know it's suicidal from Ashley. Rafa can walk into majority of jobs in football if he wants he can't lose.

Rafa's recent comments about fighting to stay up are 100% true and aimed at Ashley

"We have to fix a target to stay up – that is it. Concentrate on staying up, and after that see where. It will be more difficult than last year. Fulham, Wolves are spending. Huddersfield, Brighton everyone is spending making it more difficult."
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am

Being a Newcastle fan is like being a dog with a boner. Frustrating.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Asprillasfurcoat
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Asprillasfurcoat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am

Ashley's a High Street retailer, and the High Street's dying .. slowly at first, but it's demise is accelerating .. as his profit inevitably decline, so will his (already pathetic) investment. Unless he sells, each squad year on year is going to be further and further behind everyone else .. bleak times ahead. If he doesn't sell , and doesn't change, we'll be firmly established, and hopelessly stuck, as a mid table Championship team within the next 3 years ..
What a player! What a signing! What a day for Newcastle United! .. actual BBC commentary from Moussa Sissoko's first game for Newcastle United

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:

Wouldn't say that. At the Russian Roulette you have a chance to be a winner. Now it's more like Catch 22 for the club.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:38 pm

It's unforgivable what's going on. Choose a way to grow the club. Invest in infrastructure, playing squad or the future... don't do none of the three.

I'd be fine with buying nobody if we had a cracking youth system, even with remote locations like a Carlisle centre/Glasgow/York etc. to cast our net further.

We're living 20 years in the past. We can't even afford to pay more than what we paid for Shearer. PATHETIC.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:23 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 am

I know it's suicidal from Ashley. Rafa can walk into majority of jobs in football if he wants he can't lose.

Rafa's recent comments about fighting to stay up are 100% true and aimed at Ashley

"We have to fix a target to stay up – that is it. Concentrate on staying up, and after that see where. It will be more difficult than last year. Fulham, Wolves are spending. Huddersfield, Brighton everyone is spending making it more difficult."
I honestly don't think Ashley sees it a suicidal, Ashley clearly doesn't like or want Rafa. He's gonna give him no money and is waiting until he leaves - maybe he wants a manager who doesn't demand as much money or a yes man, who knows.

But ones things for certain - Rafa's gonna get nothing off Ashley, especially when he's gonna walk next year and the next manager will want to rebuild their way all over again.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am

Asprillasfurcoat wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am
Ashley's a High Street retailer, and the High Street's dying .. slowly at first, but it's demise is accelerating .. as his profit inevitably decline, so will his (already pathetic) investment. Unless he sells, each squad year on year is going to be further and further behind everyone else .. bleak times ahead. If he doesn't sell , and doesn't change, we'll be firmly established, and hopelessly stuck, as a mid table Championship team within the next 3 years ..
This is nonsense, more and more Sports Directs are on retail parks that certainly aren't dying, and they're still buying bigger and bigger premises in city centres. Plus the online side. Sports Direct isn't Marks and Spencer.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 am

Colly wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am
Asprillasfurcoat wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am
This is nonsense, more and more Sports Directs are on retail parks that certainly aren't dying, and they're still buying bigger and bigger premises in city centres. Plus the online side. Sports Direct isn't Marks and Spencer.
This. With the way things are, the only shops left in a few years will be bloody Sports Direct and TK Maxx.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:16 am

Heisen wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 am
Colly wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am

This. With the way things are, the only shops left in a few years will be bloody Sports Direct and TK Maxx.
And Primark.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Long after Ashley goes and the truth comes out regarding all the fraudulent accounting NUFC has had under his stewardship, it'll be found that NUFC was running at half the costs of its competitors all along.

As it stands we've not had the commercial revenue that the club has been owed for 11 years. I reckon that's equal to the £120m+ worth of 'loans' he has given. It's worth approximately £275k in wages a week...I wonder what difference that injection would make to the playing squad.

<disgrace>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Long after Ashley goes and the truth comes out regarding all the fraudulent accounting NUFC has had under his stewardship, it'll be found that NUFC was running at half the costs of its competitors all along.

As it stands we've not had the commercial revenue that the club has been owed for 11 years. I reckon that's equal to the £120m+ worth of 'loans' he has given. It's worth approximately £275k in wages a week...I wonder what difference that injection would make to the playing squad.

<disgrace>
It would be interesting to know what figure the commercial revenue that Ashley’s not paid over 10 years would come to

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:

<disgrace>
So are you talking about costs or revenues? I don't doubt there have been missed opportunities for more advertising revenue. But that's completely separate from operating costs - to which I'm sure we're pretty in line with the salary structure of half the league.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:

<disgrace>
So are you talking about costs or revenues? I don't doubt there have been missed opportunities for more advertising revenue. But that's completely separate from operating costs - to which I'm sure we're pretty in line with the salary structure of half the league.
Revenue - He doesn't give the club any money for all the in stadium advertising. The year that he bought the club, NUFC commercial revenues were comparable to that at Spurs...in fact most of the finances at the club were.

Other clubs get as much as £15m a year in such revenues.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:23 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 pm
I'm over Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Revenue - He doesn't give the club any money for all the in stadium advertising. The year that he bought the club, NUFC commercial revenues were comparable to that at Spurs...in fact most of the finances at the club were.

Totally fair criticism, although I suspect he'd argue he wouldn't have spent so much out of pocket in loans to the club if his company wasn't getting free advertising. Not saying that's right, but probably would be his justification.

My previous post then is just countering your point that they're lying in their accounting and our costs are half that of everyone else.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:23 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Totally fair criticism, although I suspect he'd argue he wouldn't have spent so much out of pocket in loans to the club if his company wasn't getting free advertising. Not saying that's right, but probably would be his justification.

My previous post then is just countering your point that they're lying in their accounting and our costs are half that of everyone else.
Simple speculation owing to the fact that stated public accounts are not compared against bank balances, and that the business practices of Ashley have been unscrupulous consistently, and that UK football clubs have been used as money laundering previously (Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Leeds etc.)

https://www.int-comp.com/ict-views/post ... der-money/

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm
I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Simple speculation owing to the fact that stated public accounts are not compared against bank balances, and that the business practices of Ashley have been unscrupulous consistently, and that UK football clubs have been used as money laundering previously (Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Leeds etc.)

Oh I have no doubt that happens all too often in football, and he doesn't deserve receiving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to business dealings, I really just meant that money laundering would lend itself to artificially inflating the club's revenues in their accounting, when in fact they've been rightfully criticized as too low and below a lot of their league competitors.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Oh I have no doubt that happens all too often in football, and he doesn't deserve receiving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to business dealings, I really just meant that money laundering would lend itself to artificially inflating the club's revenues in their accounting, when in fact they've been rightfully criticized as too low and below a lot of their league competitors.
Indeed, but then refuse to disclose purchase prices where possible and continually the excuse has been offered that NUFC can't financially compete, in particular with Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. when they should be at least running the same speed in terms of consistency and salary as the likes of Everton, West Ham etc.