Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Few reports coming out as the match today kicked off with some claiming that Rondon could be announced within a few hours, most are running with it being this weekend though.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend?

Post by TBC » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Well his goal scoring stats might not be great, but given Gayle offers us absolutely nothing (unless he scores), at least Rondon will offer us plenty in terms of build up play and a target to aim for with crosses.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm

TBC wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm
Well his goal scoring stats might not be great, but given Gayle offers us absolutely nothing (unless he scores), at least Rondon will offer us plenty in terms of build up play and a target to aim for with crosses.
This. Also does this mean Gayle will go to Brom' as part of the deal or is he staying us? That means it'll be Rondon, Perez, Muto, Gayle & Joselu all competing for the striker roles. so no new no.10 then? or will it be Muto/Perez in no.10 and Rondon/Gayle as no.9? Should be interesting to see but the potential of having a ''big man'' little man partnership with Perez / Gayle / Muto with Rondon seems interesting as from watching him at West Brom he does love a good cross and with Rodriguez as his partner he seemed to link up quite well so hopefully the likes of Muto, Perez and Gayle can provide that plus with good balls and crosses into the box he's a threat so Ritchie, Kenedy and Shevely providing that with ammo can help get goals and assists. If you look at his Zenit and Malaga records he was roughly a 1 in 2 striker so if Rafa can get him to his best it should be very good business also not to mention he's a hard-worker, unselfish, strong and mobile for a ''big man''. Surely a step above Joselu even though that's not hard to achieve. Also not to mention he's been experienced internationally and in Europe with Zenit plus three seasons in the Prem with Brom' he's 28 now so he has a couple of years still at his peak. <awe> <awe> <love> <diva>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Hurray! We're signing a shittier version of mitro!

<parrot>

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm
Hurray! We're signing a s***tier version of mitro!

<parrot>
Still never seen anything to backup the thought that Mitro is this target man who’s strengths are holding the ball up and bringing others into play, the ball used to bounce off him if I recall.

Not a Mitrovic hater, just don’t think he’s the target man he’s made out to be and won’t put in anywhere near as much effort off the ball that Rondon will (should he sign).

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm
Also does this mean Gayle will go to Brom' as part of the deal or is he staying us?
Gayle not involved at all today so i would think he's going unless he's injured.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Assuming he's a swap for Gayle, we still need at least one more quality striker.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Why? We play one up top and we've got three plus Perez, that's more than enough.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Try as I might I just can't get enthusiastic about this signing. Gut tells me it will be yet another under performing striker. Really hope he proves me wrong.

But he will have my support anyway.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:36 pm
Try as I might I just can't get enthusiastic about this signing. Gut tells me it will be yet another under performing striker. Really hope he proves me wrong.

But he will have my support anyway.
Sums it up perfectly for me. Hoping I’ll have to eat my words but I don’t envision him being the answer to our striker needs. Only time will tell I suppose

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:27 pm
Why? We play one up top and we've got three plus Perez, that's more than enough.
We play 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 so you need 4 strikers/supporting strikers/second strikers on the whole. Muto/Perez the most likely candidates for the SS/AM role to play in behind Rondon who's a traditional no.9/centre forward. Something like this :

Dubraka
Yedelin Lascelles Clark* Dummet
Diame Shevely
Ritchie Perez** Kenedy
Rondon***

*Competing with Schar
**Competing with Muto?
***Competing with Muto maybe too?

You could maybe play all three of Muto, Perez and Rondon although it's about getting the balance right as I don't know how that would work seeing as Muto/Perez are both central attacking minded players maybe one of them could play on the wing or interchange freely between right-wing/am/ss supporting Rondon. You could also leave Rondon altogether and have him as plan B on the bench with Muto taking the Gayle role and Perez supporting him just in behind. This signing will give us some flexibility and options in the final third you could even play 3 at the back 5 in the middle and have a big/little man partnership with Rondon and Muto all depends how Rafa sees it. Personally I think we still need a genuine playmaker/no.10 as we still need more creativity and guile in that department. Ben Arfa on a 1 year deal wouldn't hurt right? <awe> <awe> <awe>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm

So apparently it's going to be a loan swap with Gayle <laugh>

And if anyone needs it Samaritans: 116 123 (UK)

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Colly wrote:
Muto and Perez aren't strikers. If Rondon gets injured we're left with Joselu which is unacceptable imo.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm

f*** it, if he's more useful I'll take that for a year. We're in danger of starting the season under a cloud. I'm thinking that Ashley is hoping to sell this year and sees the club as more attractive to buyers if there's money in the account ready to spend. Eternal optimist here <diva>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:

I'm not too bothered by that, so long as we have an option to buy in case he turns out to be worth buying.

Plus leaves more money for other players we need this window.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Aldridge Perez wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 pm
Colly wrote:
Muto and Perez aren't strikers. If Rondon gets injured we're left with Joselu which is unacceptable imo.
This. There more secondary/supporting strikers who are versatile and flexible in any attacking role (SS/AM/ST/LW/RW). They can play ST too but Rondon's more of a genuine no.9 target man. God forbid us having to start Joselu <puke> <puke>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:40 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

I'm not too bothered by that, so long as we have an option to buy in case he turns out to be worth buying.

Last year of his contract, so unless he signs a new deal won't need one. He will be in a strong bargaining position though, especially if he does well.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

Last year of his contract, so unless he signs a new deal won't need one. He will be in a strong bargaining position though, especially if he does well.
Didn't realise that. Actually that changes my view slightly. If he turns out to be really good for us then chances are somebody else will come in with a better offer next season.

I don't know I find it all confusing these days ...

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:33 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

Let him do well then.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 pm

<diverk>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.