Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:55 am

I've criticized the hunting of him all summer, but now that it's done, it's time for me to get over it and support the lad. I know he's in the past shown a lot of promise and ability, I just thought we should be after someone younger with more potential. But seems as though he's the best we could do under the circumstances. I've always been more concerned about our lack of CAM than anything else - a position we haven't filled since...well, Cabaye wasn't one, but he offered a lot of what I look for from one.

I am a bit perplexed though by the number of people now saying that a traditional, big #9 is what Rafa has always wanted, when all of last season it seemed as though everyone was defending his attacking choices by saying he didn't want a big centre forward to hold up play, but a fast, agile counter-attacking forward - opposite from Mitro.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am
He's the least hyped striker to sign for us since Lovenkrands. Hope he ends up as much of a fan fave and scores a hatful into the bargain. I'm quietly pleased that in him and Muto we seem to have two attacking players who are going to give it their all and listen to the manager.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 am

He's the least hyped striker to sign for us since Lovenkrands.
Best, Harewood, Joselu...not sure if Best and Harewood were before or after Lovenkrands but they're all definitely lower profile then Rondon.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:44 am

Rondon has been first choice in another premier league team for 3 seasons in a row...

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 am

If he can reproduce his FM18 success for me he'll be great

"Sally Rondon- another player I picked up from the relegated West Brom €14m and our new number 9 after Gayle went to Hull for €18m has done really really well as alternative to Michy currently on 16 goals 11 in the league which makes him top scorer in PL fro me ahead of Michy by only 2 though."

Think he finished season with 24 goals as we won the PL <diva>
I'll Hazard a guess

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 am
He's the least hyped striker to sign for us since Lovenkrands. Hope he ends up as much of a fan fave and scores a hatful into the bargain. I'm quietly pleased that in him and Muto we seem to have two attacking players who are going to give it their all and listen to the manager.
Touché

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

so as I mentioned in the introduce yourself thread, I come bearing 3 years of following Rondon at WBA. I followed his career a bit before that but definitely not as closely. I'm very excited about what this could turn into.

Fair warning that my positive outlook is heavily driven by two things: I'm a bit biased towards him because I'm Venezuelan (although I try to be as objective as possible) and because Rondon comes from one of the worse attacking sides I've ever seen in my life. For most of Pulis' tenure at WBA the main source of their goals was their set-pieces, and he didn't even get a full season without Pulis to get to play in an actual different setup (same roster) that might give him more chances. Even with that, and coming off a tough season in '16-17 that saw him score only once after the hat-trick vs Swansea, Rondon's numbers looked much better once Pulis was sacked (8 of his 10 goals and 3 of his 4 assists came post-Pulis). During his time under Pulis and even after it, West Brom were rarely able to create much in open play due to many reasons, most notably Pulis' philosophy of sitting deep back in their own field and not even worrying about possession, but also a criminal lack of creativity in the midfield. (I also need to mention that Rondon was often receiving the ball near midfield and being asked to win/hold the ball against multiple defenders until his teammates arrived - he got better at this as his time there went on.)

So Rondon joining Newcastle, and I understand some of you all have a lot of reservations about the roster and the improvements it needs, it's actually a massive improvement for my boy. Shelvey alone is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the midfield and even if there are questions regarding Perez and where he fits best and whether he's a #10/CAM or something else ... He's infinite times a better partner than Rondon has ever had in the PL.

This is said a lot and sometimes dismissed as lazy analysis but it's actually somewhat accurate: if Rondon could score 10 goals in two different seasons with West Brom, he should definitely provide more goals for a squad that actually has a clear(er) idea as to how to go about scoring. I think he can reach double digits in the league alone. He isn't an injury liability and the effort is always there.

Really looking forward to this season!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm

I hope you're right! And that positivity is reassuring. But I'd feel a lot better if we had an actual attacking midfielder, or back-up to Shelvey. So much talk about the forwards we need, and its true, we needed improvement, but I feel like the central midfield has been neglected for years now.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm backing Rondon for 15 goals this season, bookmark this!!!

Also a friend for Sanchino <diva>

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm
I hope you're right! And that positivity is reassuring. But I'd feel a lot better if we had an actual attacking midfielder, or back-up to Shelvey. So much talk about the forwards we need, and its true, we needed improvement, but I feel like the central midfield has been neglected for years now.
isn't that kind of what Ki is?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 am

vrabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm
I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm
Well I assume he'll be playing alongside him to start the season with Diame injured. We have 4 senior players for central midfield, 1 of whom (Hayden) has wanted gone all summer. It'd be great if Longstaff were to show promise, but I just can't believe how few options we have in that part of the park, and the fact there's not even baseless rumours hinting at interest in another player who can pass or control play in central midfield.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am

I'm over Colo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 am
vrabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Well I assume he'll be playing alongside him to start the season with Diame injured. We have 4 senior players for central midfield, 1 of whom (Hayden) has wanted gone all summer. It'd be great if Longstaff were to show promise, but I just can't believe how few options we have in that part of the park, and the fact there's not even baseless rumours hinting at interest in another player who can pass or control play in central midfield.
Ki is not like for like with Diame or Shelvey. He's more like Cabaye. But even then, I'm sure he'll be able to cover as necessary.

I agree with the Colo sentiment of needing more midfield depth. We're certainly not short on wingers...

Asprillasfurcoat
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Asprillasfurcoat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am

Signed him on a Monday and he looked so fine,
Da do ron Ron-don, da do Ron-don.
He's gonna be our number nine,
Da do ron Ron-don , a do Ron-don.
Yeah, he's on the Tyne,
Yeah, he's our number nine,
When he scores all the time,
Da do ron Ron-don, da do Ron-don
What a player! What a signing! What a day for Newcastle United! .. actual BBC commentary from Moussa Sissoko's first game for Newcastle United

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 am

Asprillasfurcoat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am
Yeah, he's on the Tyne,
YOU'RE TOO LATE. THE RONDON SONG IS ALREADY SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 am

Asprillasfurcoat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am
Yeah, he's on the Tyne,
<laugh> splendid
I had the first custom w***

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:52 am

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am
I'm over Colo wrote:

Ki is not like for like with Diame or Shelvey. He's more like Cabaye. But even then, I'm sure he'll be able to cover as necessary.

I agree with the Colo sentiment of needing more midfield depth. We're certainly not short on wingers...
I hear Santons is a full back but really should be playing CM <whistle>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am

omegaprimevkm wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote:

Aren't we? Kenedy on loan, Atsu, Ritchie and Murphy? There's numbers there but the quality drops enormously if Kenedy gets a knock.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am
omegaprimevkm wrote:

Aren't we? Kenedy on loan, Atsu, Ritchie and Murphy? There's numbers there but the quality drops enormously if Kenedy gets a knock.
Aarons too. And I know Saivet started his career as a wide forward, although is an underwhelming CM choice now...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am
Colly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am

Aarons too. And I know Saivet started his career as a wide forward, although is an underwhelming CM choice now...
Saivet has gone on loan hasn't he?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm

And Aarons really doesn't count. I'd have kept Saivet for centre mid cover but Rafa knows best, cough Thauvin cough.