Your NUFC team v Chelsea

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Your NUFC team v Chelsea

Post by TJR » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 am

In a weeks time we entertain Chelsea at St James' Park. There will be enforced changes to the team and likely some additional ones as well.

Team News

The unavailable players are as follows:
Injured:
Lejeune
Manquillo (thankfully)

Banned:
Hayden
Ineligible (& probably banned):
Kenedy
Unregistered:
Lazaar
Aarons

DeAndre Yedlin is doubtful though it is expected he will have recovered in time. We do have one space available in our 25 man squad and I believe players can be registered up until the end of August so there is a possibility one of the unregistered player could become available.

My Team Selection

Watching Chelsea last night, they look very good going forwards but vulnerable defensively. Could translate into it being the sort of game we excelled in last season. If we can stay tight at the back, put in a solid shift and take an opportunity we could nick this.

Rafa said before the Cardiff game that Rondon is not yet 100% fit. I think (well hope) that he'll be ready by next week though. As Joselu was anonymous yesterday I'd give Rondon the nod up top.

In midfield I'd keep the Diame - Shelvey central combo and Ritchie on the right. LW and N10 are the most difficult selection decisions. It would be very harsh to drop Perez and games like this are the ones that tend to get the best out of him. However in his two cameos this season, Muto has looked like a baller. I think he'll end up being a top signing. I'd be tempted to start both Perez and Muto, with one of them on the left. Both have played that role before, though Muto seems to have more experience out there of the two. The other option is Atsu or Murphy coming in. Bringing Atsu in might give the team more balance or we could move Ritchie across to the left and bring Murphy in. That leaves us weak down the right though with neither Yedlin or Murphy much use defensively. Due to Yedlins defensive frailties, we probably need Ritchies work rate down that right flank.

Dubravka, Lascelles and Dummett pick themselves. Hopefully Yedlin will be fit otherwise it is going to be a hello of a Premier League debut for Sterry. I'd probably take Clark out of the side, I do like him but he's always got a mistake in him. I'd bring in Ferandez or Schar, probably Ferandez as Schar looked a bit shaky preseason and Fernandez has the Premier League experience.

I'd go:
<dubravka>
<yedlin> <lascelles> <fernandez> <dummett>
<shelvey> <diame>
<ritchie> <ayoze> <muto>
<rondon>
Or maybe Atsu in for one of Perez/Muto.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Your NUFC team v Chelsea

Post by TBC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Like the look of that team TJR <ok>

If not Muto, Murphy for me. Atsu really isn’t a good player and if we believe in Murphy as much as the £12m fee (big for us) suggests, then he should see a lot more game time this season.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Not Murphy left though. Murphy left is about as useless as Atsu on the right. With limited players we don't want to be sticking them out of position.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:20 pm

We're going to get destroyed.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am

Why rush Yedlin back?

Dubravka

Murphy. Schar. Lascelles. Dummett.
Ritchie. Shelvey. Ki. Atsu.
Muto.
Rondon.

Expecting.

Dubravka.
Yedlin. Lascelles. Clark. Dummett.
Ritchie. Shelvey. Diame. Atsu.
Perez.
Rondon.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:47 am

Fully expecting the same line-up as v Cardiff other than Yedlin at RB, and Atsu/Murphy in place of Kenedy.

Joselu will start.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Really wish it was Manchester United next week. Chelsea looked sharp offensively against Arsenal, and I doubt Joselu is about to trouble their average defence.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 pm

If no changes are made (other than RB) after that shower of a performance yesterday, I'll be livid.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Chelsea have a poor record up here remember. Better Chelsea sides than this one have came up here and been turned over.

Is it the only positive I can think of? Absolutely, but I need something to get me through the week.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Heisen wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm
Chelsea have a poor record up here remember. Better Chelsea sides than this one have came up here and been turned over.

Is it the only positive I can think of? Absolutely, but I need something to get me through the week.
True, and they look vulnerable defensively (albeit they sacrifice defense for attack...).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:47 am
Fully expecting the same line-up as v Cardiff other than Yedlin at RB, and Atsu/Murphy in place of Kenedy.

Joselu will start.
Unfortunately, this. Rafa seems to like consistency.
There is no sin except stupidity.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Joselu will start.
I doubt Muto is ready for 90 mins of Premier League football, and doesn't seem to be entirely happy that Rondon is settled yet.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I doubt Muto is ready for 90 mins of Premier League football, and doesn't seem to be entirely happy that Rondon is settled yet.
I'd take an unsettled Rondon over Joselu.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

So you're just throwing our top scorer under the bus? Talk about fickle <disgrace>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:06 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

So you're just throwing our top scorer under the bus? Talk about fickle <disgrace>
<laugh>

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 am

Joselu will start <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am

Chelsea are great going fwd and will deffo score. If Rafa thinks he can close up he is mad.
They have weakness at the back - particularly Luiz.
We need Rondon on the pitch to pressure them - and Id like to see both Muto and Perez there as they will hassle.
Please no Joselu

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 am

Slim999 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am
Chelsea are great going fwd and will deffo score. If Rafa thinks he can close up he is mad.
We need Rondon on the pitch to pressure them - and Id like to see both Muto and Perez there as they will hassle.
Please no Joselu
Couldn't agree more but you're only going to get one of Muto and Perez due to Rafa preferring defensive minded wingers.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:09 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 am
Slim999 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am
Please no Joselu
Couldn't agree more but you're only going to get one of Muto and Perez due to Rafa preferring defensive minded wingers.
Do we have defensive minded wingers? I'm not saying we have irresponsible ones, but I'd kinda say all of our wingers are relatively similar in that regard, so I'm not sure what conclusions there are to draw from that

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:

Joselu will start.
This. My ideal line up would be

Dubraka
Yedelin* Lascells Clark Dummet
Shevely Diame
Ritchie Perez Muto
Rondon

Subs : Darlow, Schar, Sterry, Ki, Murphy, Atsu, Joselu

One thing's for sure Rondon has to start or if he still isn't 100% freshen things up with Muto and Perez upfront interchanging between no.10 and ST with Murphy/Atsu on the left and Ritchie on the right. Joselu simply isn't good enough to be starting, doesn't have any outstanding attribute that would scare Premier League defenses. He works hard and scores a rare goal here and there like 1 in 8 <run> . He must be amazing in training for Rafa to keep starting him. <scratch>

*Sterry to make debut if Yedellin unavailable