Match day - NUFC v Arsenal

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day - NUFC v Arsenal

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 am

Colly wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:45 pm
To be absolutely clear I'm not in the tiny Rafa oot brigade (as opposed to the Tiny Rafa oot brigade who really hate Tiny Rafa), but is he really doing that?

His subs as ever were baffling today. As I said prematch I really feel for Murphy who is low on confidence but constantly being stuck at left wing. An hour in Ritchie was blatantly knackered and not having a great game, but instead of pulling him for Kenedy and moving Murphy over (who had been chasing every possible lost cause all game) he took Murphy off in one of his lazy like for like changes. Ten minutes later he wants Muto on, tries to take Perez off only for Ritchie to clearly ask to be subbed instead, leaving Perez as our right winger. Is this the famous attention to detail we're supposed to be getting?

Add to that Rondon (the striker who "fits his system") not getting a single minute, while Yedlin who had near identical long haul flights played 90. Baffling.
I mean, it’s his second start for us this season. Not like he’s been whacked in every game. I agree the sub was a lazy one though. Like for like (or as good as).

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am

Palace away and Leicester at home next, we need to get 3 (ideally 4) points from those.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:18 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 am
Colly wrote:
To be absolutely clear I'm not in the tiny Rafa oot brigade (as opposed to the Tiny Rafa oot brigade who really hate Tiny Rafa), but is he really doing that?

His subs as ever were baffling today. As I said prematch I really feel for Murphy who is low on confidence but constantly being stuck at left wing. An hour in Ritchie was blatantly knackered and not having a great game, but instead of pulling him for Kenedy and moving Murphy over (who had been chasing every possible lost cause all game) he took Murphy off in one of his lazy like for like changes. Ten minutes later he wants Muto on, tries to take Perez off only for Ritchie to clearly ask to be subbed instead, leaving Perez as our right winger. Is this the famous attention to detail we're supposed to be getting?

Add to that Rondon (the striker who "fits his system") not getting a single minute, while Yedlin who had near identical long haul flights played 90. Baffling.
I mean, it’s his second start for us this season. Not like he’s been whacked in every game. I agree the sub was a lazy one though. Like for like (or as good as).
My point is he shouldn't be doing it at all though. Murphy had a tricky last season, lots of fans have written him off already and are all over any 'poor' touch. Add to that the fact he's got Kenedy, Atsu and Muto seemingly able to play that side why is he playing an obviously right footed orthodox winger on the wrong side? Even more strangely we don't even swap for short spells during games like we used to when Ritchie is perfectly able to play on the left. We for some reason play our only wholly right sided winger on the left, and it shows whenever he gets into a crossing position and he's the one getting the stick for it, not the manager playing him out of position.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am

I only saw it on a stream, but he was one of our better players in the first half I thought.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 am

The season starts next game as far as I'm concerned.

Expected 3 points from the first 5 games so still annoyed Kenedy took the penalty.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 am
The season starts next game as far as I'm concerned.

Expected 3 points from the first 5 games so still annoyed Kenedy took the penalty.
Same. So at least we're only -2 from what most would have realistically expected.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am
I only saw it on a stream, but he was one of our better players in the first half I thought.
Without any question, his pace was causing loads of problems with Arsenal's excessive "play from the back" nonsense, he just suffered from the fact his final ball was on his weaker foot. That's why I thought he should have stayed on.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am

Missed the match as I was traveling, from the updates on here we were OK is the first half but then faded after Arsenal scored.

And of course the usual Joselu couldn't finish his dinner.

I'll agree that we've had a tough start but we've also not been hammered in any of the games which is good, Palace next week will be a big game also looking at games going forward bar perhaps Man U we're playing teams who will be mostly mid-bottom table teams which should be our level.
I'll Hazard a guess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Colly wrote:

I'm not Rafa out, I'm not particularly Rafa in either though. I'm really not too bothered if he stays or goes. The football is s*** and negative, he doesn't use young players, he favours some players over others and his record in the transfer marker is below average. He's a very good defensive manager but in reality his record not counting the Championship is Played 64, Won 20, Drawn 15, Lost 29. 1.17 points per game. Pardew had 1.37 points per game. If he wasn't called Rafa Benitez he would've been getting called out for his tactics, subs, favouring of players and excuses a lot more.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:15 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am
Missed the match as I was traveling, from the updates on here we were OK is the first half but then faded after Arsenal scored.

And of course the usual Joselu couldn't finish his dinner.

I'll agree that we've had a tough start but we've also not been hammered in any of the games which is good, Palace next week will be a big game also looking at games going forward bar perhaps Man U we're playing teams who will be mostly mid-bottom table teams which should be our level.
We probably just edged it first half but second half we were pretty poor and Arsenal stepped it up a gear.

Your latter point is why we'll stay up. This is what Rafa brings, the way he sets us up we are pretty much always in games throughout. Against the lesser sides, some of them won't have the quality to break us down and get the second goal. Also we'll have more chances to get on the scoresheet ourselves.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Theoretically, does anyone think we'd have gotten a draw had Lascelles not had to go off? They didn't really create much at all in the first half from memory. I didn't see the second half (and didn't want to watch it on MOTD) to know if their goals were avoidable.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I think that oversimplifies it, we set up with a strong bench of players who could have made an impact and ran our arses off for the first half. The enforced change didn't help as it wiped off a sub, but the fact that Shelvey and Rondon stayed on the bench when we went 1 down was pretty poor and as usual it was only a matter of time before we were broken down having created little. We might have hung on and fluked a draw, but we say that most weeks.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 am

Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm
I think that oversimplifies it, we set up with a strong bench of players who could have made an impact and ran our arses off for the first half. The enforced change didn't help as it wiped off a sub, but the fact that Shelvey and Rondon stayed on the bench when we went 1 down was pretty poor and as usual it was only a matter of time before we were broken down having created little. We might have hung on and fluked a draw, but we say that most weeks.
Maybe Rondon and Shelvey will both be fit enough for the start of the season on Saturday!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 am

UlversToon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 am
Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm
Maybe Rondon and Shelvey will both be fit enough for the start of the season on Saturday!
If Joselu starts I give up <laugh>

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 am
UlversToon wrote:

I feel this way abut him and Perez - who I will say (again) manages to play s*** until the last 5 games, become our top scorer, then return to form the start of next season.

Not sure who to replace him with like, but it's frustrating how those two seem to be untouchable.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 am

ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:

I feel this way abut him and Perez - who I will say (again) manages to play s*** until the last 5 games, become our top scorer, then return to form the start of next season.

Not sure who to replace him with like, but it's frustrating how those two seem to be untouchable.
Rafa's amigos.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
UlversToon wrote:

This pretty much 😂😂