Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Bournemouth

Post by UlversToon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Phew!

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Massive three points! Rondon was quality today. Not only his goals but overall play was brilliant. Held the ball up terrifically, brought others into play and showed he can finish if provided with the right service. Could have had a hat-trick if it wasn't for Begovic's save at the end there. Definitely MOTM for me. We were poor in the second half they were all over us but we rode our luck and got the win which was so needed. 14th now. Looking upwards!!! <diva>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:10 pm

I was always in the camp that Rondon was a good signing if we played to suit his stengths. We did that today and he nailed it. Let’s do the same against Burnley in a couple of weeks.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:06 pm
Massive three points! Rondon was quality today. Not only his goals but overall play was brilliant. Held the ball up terrifically, brought others into play and showed he can finish if provided with the right service. Could have had a hat-trick if it wasn't for Begovic's save at the end there. Definitely MOTM for me. We were poor in the second half they were all over us but we rode our luck and got the win which was so needed. 14th now. Looking upwards!!! <diva>

Very good summation, totally agree! <gent>

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 pm

I tell you what, we're lucky there are some poor teams in the division this year. 9 points after 12 games and we're somehow 14th, what's all that about <laugh> any other year we'd probably be bottom

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Rondon was a f***ing animal today.

Cracking atmosphere today n all, stadium was f***ing bouncing.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Heisen wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 pm
I tell you what, we're lucky there are some poor teams in the division this year. 9 points after 12 games and we're somehow 14th, what's all that about <laugh> any other year we'd probably be bottom
I've just looked and we'd be in the relegation zone in 4 out of the last 5 seasons with our current points. But you can only beat what's in front of you and we've had some hard games mixed so far and come out in a good position, albeit with not many points on the board yet

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Rondon was a beast today, also think Ki needs some recognition for that cross field ball that lead to the second, if that was shelvey people would have been going mental for it, also cracking cross from Kenedy.

Fernandez i think has paid his fee already, a real leader on the pitch who can take some pressure off lascelles, also when lejeune is back we are going to have a real dillema as to who plays at the back.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Hopefully now we can keep him up front. So obviously better than any of our other options.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 pm
Rondon was a beast today, also think Ki needs some recognition for that cross field ball that lead to the second, if that was shelvey people would have been going mental for it, also cracking cross from Kenedy.

Fernandez i think has paid his fee already, a real leader on the pitch who can take some pressure off lascelles, also when lejeune is back we are going to have a real dillema as to who plays at the back.
Yep, Rondon was excellent, as were Dubravka and Fernandez. Ki and Kenedy also great. Others mostly solid, with only Diame underperforming imo.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

Yep, Rondon was excellent, as were Dubravka and Fernandez. Ki and Kenedy also great. Others mostly solid, with only Diame underperforming imo.
Agreed with both of these. I was at the game and though we rode our luck at times we were quality going forward, thanks to Rondon first and foremost, but also Kenedy, Ki and Schar.

I wasn’t that persuaded by Diame or Perez though I have to say - we need a more efficient destroyer in the not too distant future...
I had the first custom w***

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Agreed with both of these. I was at the game and though we rode our luck at times we were quality going forward, thanks to Rondon first and foremost, but also Kenedy, Ki and Schar.

I wasn’t that persuaded by Diame or Perez though I have to say - we need a more efficient destroyer in the not too distant future...

Forgot about Perez. Agree he wasn't up to standard either. <ok>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Ki needs to be in the team. Saw him live a few times when he was at Swansea and was always the one to make things tick.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Any clever bugger put a link to the goals up?
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm

<shola>

Buzzing. Looked a bit suspect at the back, but we did create a lot of chances

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 pm
First goal was on twitter earlier but looks to have been taken down, here's the second though

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm
Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 pm
First goal was on twitter earlier but looks to have been taken down, here's the second though

Cheers what a cracking goal!
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

We were unlucky not to get a penalty against Man U, but we got away with one today (Fernandez) so that’s evened itself out.

Asprillasfurcoat
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Asprillasfurcoat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:40 am

Rondons second was the first 'proper old fashioned Newcastle number 9 goal' we've seen in a LONG time ! Belting Supermac/Shearer/Ferdinand/Asprilla type goal .. more please Mr R ! 😁
What a player! What a signing! What a day for Newcastle United! .. actual BBC commentary from Moussa Sissoko's first game for Newcastle United

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:19 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
It's not even just the quality of the cross, when Shelvey plays those he's usually at least twenty yards further back and it's obvious that that's the ball he'll play. With this one Ki was up with play, first looked to see if the short one to Rondon or back to the right wing would work, then played that perfect ball having barely had a glimpse. Genuinely brilliant.

I like Shelvey and think he's a good player, but positionally he's so influential on the way we play and I'd argue not in a good way. At the risk of risk of sounding like a stuck record (remember those?) Shelvey spends his games sitting so deep that we have a massive hole in the middle of midfield most of our games limiting our ability to pass through midfield. With Ki we suddenly have an option for the likes of Dummett and our wingers to pass short to, he's not scared to carry it forward, and his setpieces are no worse. Added bonus is the Schär can do the long balls from defense...