Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v West ‘am

Post by Colly » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm
Speedo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm
Atsu has really gone downhill the last year

I must've missed the bit where he climbed the hill in the first place!
This. He's f***ing terrible and it's beyond me how he earned a permanent move in the first place.

I really hope that the people cheering the substitution of Perez are the people boycotting nest week, because they've got no f***ing place being at a football match.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Did some good old fashioned power drinking from 12 and ended up having an awesome nap.

Take it we were s*** again?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 pm
Did some good old fashioned power drinking from 12 and ended up having an awesome nap.

All except Ki

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 pm

overseasTOON wrote:

s*** again? We have just won 3 games so can’t have been doing too badly.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 pm
overseasTOON wrote:

Before those 3 games we were absolutely s**** so still applies.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:00 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm

I must've missed the bit where he climbed the hill in the first place!
This. He's f***ing terrible and it's beyond me how he earned a permanent move in the first place.

I really hope that the people cheering the substitution of Perez are the people boycotting nest week, because they've got no f***ing place being at a football match.
There seems to be a swathe of fans that think Perez doesn’t try and therefore is deserving of booing which absolutely baffles me. I think he’s pretty s**** but he puts in a shift every week and booing him isn’t gonna magically improve his ability. Lazy players deserve to be booed since they earn far too much to not bust a gut, but Perez simply isn’t one of those players
Last edited by Sir Bobby on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Before those 3 games we were absolutely s**** so still applies.
As long as the doomsayers don’t all come crawling out if we lose to Everton on Wednesday and talk of crisis again. No reason when we can’t get good points out of Wolves, Fulham and Huddersfield before Christmas.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 pm
Colly wrote:

There seems to be a swathe of fans that think Perez doesn’t try and therefore is deserving of booing which absolutely baffles me. I think he’s pretty s**** but he puts in a shift every week and booing him isn’t gonna magically improve his ability. Lazy players deserve to be booed since they earn far too much to not bust a gut, but Perez simply isn’t one of those players
Especially in a game where he put far more of a shift in in terms of effort and quality than Kenedy, Diame (who had a poor game for him), Rondon (who if the last two games are anything to go by is happy to coast on those two goals forever) and Ritchie who in fairness could have been unfit? Some people have just decided he's the target of their ire so if he does anything that for another player they'd describe as 'unlucky' for Perez he's the worst player in the world.

Case study: There's an empty seat next to me and my mate that used to be filled by my brother before he moved elsewhere, so it's been match ticket buyers for a few years as clearly no ones buying a season ticket on their own. Yesterday the seat was empty til the 11th, at which point this older guy walked out, sat down, promptly spent 3 more minutes looking at his phone and not the game, then immediately started ranting at Perez. Utter fuckwits.

And again, he's not immune from criticism, but you don't boo your own players. The pathetic groans are bad enough, but cheering a substitution? Every last one of them should be banned from the ground.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 pm
Colly wrote:

Well said. I like Perez, he had a poor game yesterday but he does always do his best. It's just that his best isn't that good.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 am

I agree. Nobody can say he doesn’t try, his end product is just utter s*** 80% of time time. He regularly gets into good scoring positions and fluffs them, if he was a semi-competent finisher he’d easily get 10+ goals per season.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Perez was our top scorer and assister last season, and had a great game vs Burnley. don;t know why fans are so keen to hound him out at the drop of a hat. Echoes of Wijnaldum.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Beatski wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 pm
Perez was our top scorer and assister last season, and had a great game vs Burnley. don;t know why fans are so keen to hound him out at the drop of a hat. Echoes of Wijnaldum.
Yeah he went on a great run in the last third of last season for sure. But you cannot deny that he misses far too many simple chances. And our top scorer last season is setting a low bar. I’m not against him but he’s just so frustrating as he could do so much better.

Not sure I’d agree with your assessment of him having a great game v Burnley. Worked hard as per but did very little else other than one decent pass for Joselu to hit the post. Did he do anything else?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 am

I'd say that Perez is probably one of our better players. Only regulars I can think of that are better than him are Debravka, Shelvey (somstimes), and Lascelles. Ritchie is about level. The rest are worse.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 am

Perez frustrates me.

He has some good spells for small durations and shows his undoubted ability but in the main he makes the wrong choices with passes, goes to ground far to easily and often his shots on goal have little to no power on them and are easily collected by the keeper.

Have the club considered putting him on a steak and milk diet?

He's had a fair few seasons here now and I can't really say that he's improved during that time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:50 am

A lot of his shots are essentially passes straight to the keeper which is the annoying bit. He's 25 now so not like we can class him as a young up and coming player anymore. He's not the only one to be guilty of this though.

So long as we beat Wolves on Sunday I'll be happy, not expecting anything on Wednesday night at Everton.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Tend to agree with people. I really think he's regressed over the past few seasons, but that said, it's not his fault that he's starting at CAM nearly every week, and hasn't had a lick of competition for the role. Also agree that effort isn't his issue, but rather he doesn't seem to have the same confidence, lacks conviction in his decision making, has never been a particularly strong passer/creator, and is relatively passive wanting to get on the ball. Ultimately I think he's good enough for a spot in the squad, but isn't consistent enough to be starting every week, especially in a team with so few goalscorers in it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Sean Longstaff has signed a 4 year contract, wonder if we'll see him on the bench a few more times over the busy period.