Sky: Peter Kenyon in talks about taking over NUFC

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Re: Sky: Peter Kenyon in talks about taking over NUFC

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:29 am

Takeover is dead according to the papers in the last couple of days.
Kindly deeds done for free!

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:29 am
Takeover is dead according to the papers in the last couple of days.
Well, at least that means transfer funds will be made available! <whistle>

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:06 am

If customers keep turning up, why sell?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:06 am
If no customers, why buy? Killing revenue and morale isn't going to attract a buyer, just as losing value on the investment isn't going to hasten him selling. Small annual revenues are worth less to Ashley than selling the club for a profit and having a few hundred million free again to invest differently. Getting that price where he can stubbornly accept he won the investment is the issue.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:28 pm

If he is asking for £300/£350m I still think it’s a fair asking price, regardless of what changes need to be made to the squad and facilities.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:28 pm
If he is asking for £300/£350m I still think it’s a fair asking price, regardless of what changes need to be made to the squad and facilities.
Oh I don't disagree. Fans scoff at the price, but then expect a new owner to throw hundreds of millions of pounds down the hole that is football club ownership, and it just strikes me as such a contradiction.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Toondes wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:19 am
Hjl wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:49 am
I'm an idiot I know.... but maybe it is happening!

<dotheameobi>
Why what’s happened ? New Info?
Nope, it was late and I was feeling optimistic.

Don't worry, it's gone now

<grim>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Luque wrote:
Fans turning up or not makes no difference whatsoever. Match day revenue is peanuts compared to what clubs get from TV deals / prize money.

Also Ashley isn't making any money from the club. We just about broke even in the last few accounting periods and we needed a further loan from Ashley to do that.

Ultimately that is down to how horrendously he's running the club. Our commercial income was much higher pre Ashley.

Since he's bought the club all he's done is lost money. Selling makes sense but rather than cutting his losses he's holding our for a ridiculous over inflated price to try and make something from us but nobody is going to pay it so we're stuck with him and he's stuck with us until he finally wakes up or someone who likes being ripped off purchases us.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
£300m is probably just about reasonable but he supposedly wants closer to £400m. He rejected a bid of £300m last year.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Oh I don't disagree. Fans scoff at the price, but then expect a new owner to throw hundreds of millions of pounds down the hole that is football club ownership, and it just strikes me as such a contradiction.
It depends who is buying the club. If it's some rich bloke like the Man City owner buying it as his plaything then aye fair enough.

If it's an investment group or a half decent business person then they aren't going to want to be ripped off and expecting them to come in and 'throw hundreds of millions' around is ridiculous.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm

TJR wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:24 pm
Luque wrote:
Fans turning up or not makes no difference whatsoever. Match day revenue is peanuts compared to what clubs get from TV deals / prize money.

Also Ashley isn't making any money from the club. We just about broke even in the last few accounting periods and we needed a further loan from Ashley to do that.

Ultimately that is down to how horrendously he's running the club. Our commercial income was much higher pre Ashley.

Since he's bought the club all he's done is lost money. Selling makes sense but rather than cutting his losses he's holding our for a ridiculous over inflated price to try and make something from us but nobody is going to pay it so we're stuck with him and he's stuck with us until he finally wakes up or someone who likes being ripped off purchases us.
Just because NUFC isn't making money, doesn't mean he isn't profiting off of owning us.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:23 pm

TJR wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm

It depends who is buying the club. If it's some rich bloke like the Man City owner buying it as his plaything then aye fair enough.

If it's an investment group or a half decent business person then they aren't going to want to be ripped off and expecting them to come in and 'throw hundreds of millions' around is ridiculous.
I completely agree, and I think people with those expectations are ridiculously optimistic. I guess my broader point is that I find club ownership pretty baffling right now, because so few owners seem to care that they've allowed transfer and agent fees, and contracts to spiral out of control, creating an outrageously inflated market, and yet there doesn't seem to be the same willingness to spend money on the actual asset which are clubs.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm
TJR wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Just because NUFC isn't making money, doesn't mean he isn't profiting off of owning us.
But it's a pretty safe bet that the opportunity cost of having hundreds of millions of pounds tied up in the club exceeds whatever value he's deriving, especially as a guy who wants privacy to do business continuing to get dragged into a national spotlight.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:24 pm

But it's a pretty safe bet that the opportunity cost of having hundreds of millions of pounds tied up in the club exceeds whatever value he's deriving, especially as a guy who wants privacy to do business continuing to get dragged into a national spotlight.
I don't agree at all. I'm fairly sure if Ashley would be better off without NUFC he would have sold.
You don't become a billionaire by clinging on to failing projects, unless you're doing it for fun.

People talk about the price tag being reasonable etc, but I'll eat OT's regurgitated cock if the sticking point in any sale isn't because of something like all the contracts/deals with Sports Direct having huge financial penalties if cancelled.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:25 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm

I don't agree at all. I'm fairly sure if Ashley would be better off without NUFC he would have sold.
You don't become a billionaire by clinging on to failing projects, unless you're doing it for fun.

People talk about the price tag being reasonable etc, but I'll eat OT's regurgitated cock if the sticking point in any sale isn't because of something like all the contracts/deals with Sports Direct having huge financial penalties if cancelled.
I'm not suggesting it's failing, I'm suggesting he's at a weird point where if he can get his asking price he'd sell, but if he doesn't receive it, the club is doing well enough that he'll hold on until he does. I guess I'd also say that there are better ways to make money than football club ownership - or I should say, there are better returns available on multi-hundred million pound investments. But obviously that's made more complicated when you consider pride, advertising opportunities, etc.

I do completely agree with you that there are contracts and other complications that are making the sale more difficult, and it's not just sticker price.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Talk that Ashley wants a bonus as part of the Sale if we qualify for the Champions League in the next 10 years he'll get a % of the earnings from it.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:24 pm

I think that people are just speculating about anything and everything, probably very little of it actually being based on sound knowledge or true.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:24 pm
I think that people are just speculating about anything and everything, probably very little of it actually being based on sound knowledge or true.
speculating about something thats not going to happen <urgh>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Talk that Ashley wants new owner to sit at his feet dressed up in a gold lame bikini with two croissants strapped to the side of his head.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Reasonably significant development this evening:

The fact that Kenyon is now on the record, and that Garry Cook and Kenyon are in the same group (not separate as previously reported) suggests that there's a much more real chance this could happen. Still a long way to go... but positive.
I had the first custom w***