Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Manure

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm

TJR wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 am
Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 am

He didn't give Florian Thauvin a kick, a player who went on to be in the running for Ligue 1 player of the season, earning a £50m price tag and a World Cup medal along the way.
He left before Rafa became our manager.

He was out on loan at the time and the option to buy clause was activated at the end of his loan.
Not quite, he was on his first loan when Rafa came in, and was then loaned out again the following season with the option to buy. He even played for him in preseason.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm
CIH wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm
Best only played 29 premier league games? I feel like he was knocking about for ages.
Had a lot of injuries, including being put out for the rest of the season by the Harper elbow drop in the 4-4 <laugh>
Never forget. Genuinely surprised people on here thought Best was a bad player though, given his fee he did really well for us including that 4-4 (don't forget he had one massively wrongly ruled out for offside too). I was a bit disappointed we sold him on as I thought he'd be good backup, then he got that injury at Blackburn and never really recovered.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm
Luque wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Leon Best got 10 in 29 goals in Premier League for Newcastle.
Joselu has 6 in 40. To compare the 2 is actually scandalous.
Ditto Routledge and Atsu, Routledge scored and created goals and we sold him on to a PL side. Atsu will be lucky to do anywhere near that.
Last season Atsu played 10 games more than Routledge managed for us in the Prem and scored 2 goals to Routledge’s 0 and 2 assists to Routledge’s 1, so to say he scored goals whilst trying to juxtapose that against Atsu is pretty flawed. Perhaps the comparison of Joselu to Best is unfair but Atsu to Routledge really isn’t. In fact Routledge didn’t even score a single goal in the Prem until he was older than Atsu is now.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:37 pm

But Routledge was a stop gap, did his job in the Championship and was moved on, to arguably greater success. Atsu has stunk up the place for the best part of three seasons, with the exception of "that game where he wasn't as s***" the other week, and the Watford game which again I haven't seen. He really is just Sammy Ameobi with a higher wage bill and less of the fun unpredictability.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm
Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Ditto Routledge and Atsu, Routledge scored and created goals and we sold him on to a PL side. Atsu will be lucky to do anywhere near that.
Last season Atsu played 10 games more than Routledge managed for us in the Prem and scored 2 goals to Routledge’s 0 and 2 assists to Routledge’s 1, so to say he scored goals whilst trying to juxtapose that against Atsu is pretty flawed. Perhaps the comparison of Joselu to Best is unfair but Atsu to Routledge really isn’t. In fact Routledge didn’t even score a single goal in the Prem until he was older than Atsu is now.
Routledge is a tough comparison in general, because he didn't produce for us, didn't necessarily show hints of it, then went on to Swansea where he was really good for several years. I'm happy for him, but the club wasn't wrong in selling him because he really hadn't hinted he had that production in his locker. Sure, Atsu might one day turn it around too, but for every player like Routledge that makes a leap like that, there are 10 that never do.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm
TJR wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 am

He left before Rafa became our manager.

He was out on loan at the time and the option to buy clause was activated at the end of his loan.
Not quite, he was on his first loan when Rafa came in, and was then loaned out again the following season with the option to buy. He even played for him in preseason.
Thauvin didn't give a f*** Rafa was right to get rid of him. Regardless of how he done in the future he wouldn't have produced at Newcastle as his heart wasn't in it.

He played against Bohs in that pre-Season and ran about 10 yards the half he played. He was also one of the only players I will also state who didn't sign autographs for kids and other fans after the game
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm

He'd been treated like s*** from day one, whether by fans who turned on him near instantly or by Alan Shearer with his tuxedo nonsense. I won't condone being unprofessional but I can hardly blame him for wanting out, and a manager of Rafa's quality should be able to a) recognise there's a player there and b) at least attempt to get him onside. Massive missed opportunity.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeah, that was a train wreck from day one, with everyone involved at fault for missing out on the type of skill we've been sorely lacking in the side for years. Now whether it was too late for Rafa to reconcile can be debated, but it was a ball dropped. I still can't get over how the local media talked about him as the worst player in France before he'd even kicked a ball, and then how they constantly wrote hit pieces about him after he'd gone out on loan. It's unsurprising why once a player starts to have a falling out with the club or fans it's hard to ever get them back onside.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm
He'd been treated like s*** from day one, whether by fans who turned on him near instantly or by Alan Shearer with his tuxedo nonsense. I won't condone being unprofessional but I can hardly blame him for wanting out, and a manager of Rafa's quality should be able to a) recognise there's a player there and b) at least attempt to get him onside. Massive missed opportunity.
Oh I'm not doubting he wasn't treated like crap but don't down tools and act like a spoilt brat and refuse to play by faking an injury.

I doubt Rafa could have revived anything there the damage was already done by McLaren and media before.
Going back to that Boys game Gini who left pretty much soon after that game was a gentleman that day he even had a knockabout with the ball boys when he first arrived with Shelvey
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 pm

I miss the good old days when this board hated Jonas for that time he didn't wave.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:16 pm
Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm
Oh I'm not doubting he wasn't treated like crap but don't down tools and act like a spoilt brat and refuse to play by faking an injury.

I doubt Rafa could have revived anything there the damage was already done by McLaren and media before.
Going back to that Boys game Gini who left pretty much soon after that game was a gentleman that day he even had a knockabout with the ball boys when he first arrived with Shelvey
I don't disagree he could have carried himself differently, and wasn't a mature 22 year old. But I've still never heard confirmation that he actually wasn't injured when going off for the last few minutes of that match - and people have accused it enough now it's just treated as fact.

I'm really not surprised he started to avoid fans when he'd already been booed and abused so much when going over to away fans after matches in what few appearances he made. Not saying he shouldn't have been better with the kids in Ireland, just that I can see how a kid that was treated as he was after so few matches might get reclusive and cowardly - not the right way to handle it, but still understandable.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Back on topic I've finally caught up with MOTD, it looked bad enough live but the state of Shelvey for that second goal. Play a horrible pass to Hayden with two players around him, immediately go into pointing mode as possession is lost, "jog" (and that's kind) after the breaking attackers, then actually STOP ten yards from our box when he's finally catching up to a red shirt. He's reverted completely to how he was playing pre Christmas last season, and I'd say drop him but he's needed and will probably have a 3 match ban anyway...

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:36 pm
I've had a great idea!

Given that many are saying if Liverpool win tonight then the title race is done and dusted; why not just finish the league early and we're safe from relegation?
<erm> <erm> <erm> jinxed it

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:10 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm
Back on topic I've finally caught up with MOTD, it looked bad enough live but the state of Shelvey for that second goal. Play a horrible pass to Hayden with two players around him, immediately go into pointing mode as possession is lost, "jog" (and that's kind) after the breaking attackers, then actually STOP ten yards from our box when he's finally catching up to a red shirt. He's reverted completely to how he was playing pre Christmas last season, and I'd say drop him but he's needed and will probably have a 3 match ban anyway...
The ref gave a foul so retrospective action can't be taken
I'll Hazard a guess

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:10 am
Colly wrote:
Pretty sure there was an incident where Williamson was given a foul for accidentally elbowing someone and the fa went and gave a ban

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:42 am

krully wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 am
lassassinblanc wrote:

Pretty sure there was an incident where Williamson was given a foul for accidentally elbowing someone and the fa went and gave a ban
That was scandalous <laugh>

He literally body checked him to stop him running and they gave him a three match ban!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Colly wrote:
That rule hasn't existed since the Haidara Incident, coincidentally my favourite Robert Ludlum book.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:54 am

I don't think he'll be charged with the FA over that one. All it shows is that he's a bloody idiot, been out of the team for a fair chunk of time, now that Ki is off to the Asia Cup and Diame going off injured means he has a chance to get himself in the first-team picture and within a few minutes of coming on risks a straight red card. Not to mention is lazy cba attitude.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?