F.A cup match thread - NUFC v Blackburn

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: F.A cup match thread - NUFC v Blackburn

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Think we can all be relatively certain that Blackburn will win the replay.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm

Cheers. That was a cracking stream <gent>
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Seems like we actively tried to get knocked out and failed. I'm sure the replay will remedy that.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Luque wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 pm
Good job Benitez played a strong enough team to finish this tie off first time round so we don't have an extra game to fit in.
And if he played a full strength team people would be saying he should have used the opportunity to give the kids a chance etc. Not saying you, just in general. I personally thought the team selection was a good one. I didn't see the full game, just majority of the second half. Woodman didn't shower himself in glory, but was good to see him get a chance considering how highly he appears to be rated. Longstaff and Sterry have been int he conversation and on the bench, so good to see them have a proper run out. Lejune is coming back to full fitness so was logical to start him. Pretty much the rest other than Joselu was a starting side. Although it does beggar belief that Benitez didn't bring on Rondon. We don't have a game for a week, and it's not exactly a fixture we should expect to win - against Chelsea. At the very least Rondon should've been coming off the bench. Our only real goal threat, and we are f***ed if he get's injured, but you can't play the game hoping players don't get hurt.

Also I do fully agree that a replay is the worse result for us. As much as I'd love a good cup run, it won't happen and it's not beneficial. An away replay to a lower league side is the last thing we need.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

How'd we play

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Crap.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

I hope we draw AFC Wimbledon away.

I've always wanted to see them play Blackburn.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 pm

krully wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm
How'd we play
Appalling. Wish I stayed at home instead of going to that shitshow.

Murphy, Kennedy, Hayden and Joselu were horrendous. Showed why they aren't currently 1st choice. Longstaff, Sterry ans Woodman may have potential but they aren't ready yet.

Lejeune probably the only positive. We were lucky to get a replay.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:37 pm

So glad I'm flying over to see em so 🤔🤔

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:46 pm

TJR wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 pm
krully wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm
How'd we play
Appalling. Wish I stayed at home instead of going to that shitshow.

Murphy, Kennedy, Hayden and Joselu were horrendous. Showed why they aren't currently 1st choice. Longstaff, Sterry ans Woodman may have potential but they aren't ready yet.

Lejeune probably the only positive. We were lucky to get a replay.
Agree with what you say about the players, but I thought we were quite decent when the subs came on. Another five minutes we would have won.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:16 pm

I'm local to blackburn. I've not been to a game since Ipswich at home. Might look into it. But I probably won't. So apathetic about it all.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm
Luque wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 pm
Good job Benitez played a strong enough team to finish this tie off first time round so we don't have an extra game to fit in.
And if he played a full strength team people would be saying he should have used the opportunity to give the kids a chance etc. Not saying you, just in general. I personally thought the team selection was a good one. I didn't see the full game, just majority of the second half. Woodman didn't shower himself in glory, but was good to see him get a chance considering how highly he appears to be rated. Longstaff and Sterry have been int he conversation and on the bench, so good to see them have a proper run out. Lejune is coming back to full fitness so was logical to start him. Pretty much the rest other than Joselu was a starting side. Although it does beggar belief that Benitez didn't bring on Rondon. We don't have a game for a week, and it's not exactly a fixture we should expect to win - against Chelsea. At the very least Rondon should've been coming off the bench. Our only real goal threat, and we are f***ed if he get's injured, but you can't play the game hoping players don't get hurt.

Also I do fully agree that a replay is the worse result for us. As much as I'd love a good cup run, it won't happen and it's not beneficial. An away replay to a lower league side is the last thing we need.
I'd accept just doing what needs to be done to dispose of a team who are 20 places below us in the pyramid. I've always been of the opinion that you should play strongest XI, get the job done as quickly as possible and then look at resting your key players. You can mix this in with 1 younger player but don't change 90% of your team.

Darlow - Yedlin - Lejeune - Schar - Dummett - Ritchie - Shelvey - Hayden - Kenedy - Longstaff - Rondon.

Atsu - Dubravka - Lascelles - Perez - Diame (Inj) are those who don't make my XI who played the previous game.

Compared to Benitez' 8 changes which left us with Joselu up front. Suggesting that he'd struggle to get goals in the National League would only be slightly hyperbolic. Now he has another fixture to deal with, so unless he's taken the u23's across the Pennines, that's an extra nights travel, an extra 90 minutes at least and an extra morning session that will have to be slightly lighter than they'd want it to be the following day - all because of the XI HE picked, nobody else.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Tony Mowbray saying “I couldn’t see them scoring” sums it all up. A team who were in league one last season and we hardly troubled them. There was no reason not to start Shelvey, he’s hardly played for weeks and needed the minutes.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Tony Mowbray saying “I couldn’t see them scoring” sums it all up. A team who were in league one last season and we hardly troubled them. There was no reason not to start Shelvey, he’s hardly played for weeks and needed the minutes.
I was thinking this about Shelvey as soon as I finished my post. He can't be match fit... perfect chance for him to get there.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm
I hope we draw AFC Wimbledon away.

I've always wanted to see them play Blackburn.
<laugh>

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:14 am

Shocked the Benitez gets more heat for this result than the likes of Kenedy and Murphy, who had a real chance to show up against a lower-league side and played just as woeful as recently, if not worse. Kenedy needs to be sent back to Chelsea and loaned to a League One side. Murphy gets a lot of support around here when Atsu gets picked over him but he showed me nothing that warrants the kind of love he gets. Joselu is so awful you really have to think about giving Sorensen a run on the replay.

But I'm not mad at Rafa's lineup at all and disagree with Luque's take. I would also had played a B-squad and disliked even seeing Ritchie starting till I realized there were no other options on the squad. Maybe you start Ayoze instead but maybe you protect him more from injury now that Muto won't be at all available. But the XI that took the field SHOULD HAVE gotten the result.

Benitez isn't faultless either as I do agree he wasn't aggressive enough (could had maybe tried Kenedy or Murphy up front with Joselu) but I came away more disappointed with the players than the manager.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am

vrabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:14 am
Shocked the Benitez gets more heat for this result than the likes of Kenedy and Murphy, who had a real chance to show up against a lower-league side and played just as woeful as recently, if not worse. Kenedy needs to be sent back to Chelsea and loaned to a League One side. Murphy gets a lot of support around here when Atsu gets picked over him but he showed me nothing that warrants the kind of love he gets. Joselu is so awful you really have to think about giving Sorensen a run on the replay.

But I'm not mad at Rafa's lineup at all and disagree with Luque's take. I would also had played a B-squad and disliked even seeing Ritchie starting till I realized there were no other options on the squad. Maybe you start Ayoze instead but maybe you protect him more from injury now that Muto won't be at all available. But the XI that took the field SHOULD HAVE gotten the result.

Benitez isn't faultless either as I do agree he wasn't aggressive enough (could had maybe tried Kenedy or Murphy up front with Joselu) but I came away more disappointed with the players than the manager.
Murphy gets love around here? What forum are you on brotha?

========

So you'd have rather put out an even weaker team and threw away the cup? For what? To maintain our purgatory existence as Premier League relegation battlers.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:28 am

Luque wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am
vrabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:14 am

========

So you'd have rather put out an even weaker team and threw away the cup? For what? To maintain our purgatory existence as Premier League relegation battlers.
Any time Murphy gets left out of the 18 altogether I see multiple posts complaining about it. And I don't disagree with the sentiment because I do feel he doesn't get as many chances as I feel he earned after his performance at Everton, but he was very disappointing today.

Our chances to stay in the PL are still very good and I'm not going to stop thinking of that as the priority for this season. And my mindset isn't throwing away the cup but instead that our B squad should had been able to manage to get the W. They underperformed.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:35 am

vrabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:28 am
Luque wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am

========

Any time Murphy gets left out of the 18 altogether I see multiple posts complaining about it. And I don't disagree with the sentiment because I do feel he doesn't get as many chances as I feel he earned after his performance at Everton, but he was very disappointing today.

Our chances to stay in the PL are still very good and I'm not going to stop thinking of that as the priority for this season. And my mindset isn't throwing away the cup but instead that our B squad should had been able to manage to get the W. They underperformed.
Well Benitez was the one who spent £12m on him (a fair chunk of his budget last season), so I'd say people are right to complain. I think they're complaining more at his omission because of the transfer fee (Benitez must have seen something in him).

Benitez sees them in training and either deemed the XI good enough to beat them (which he got wrong) or he put out a team he thought was strong enough to make it look like we were trying to win when we weren't really f***ed about winning the game.

--------

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 am

It's ok, now we can focus on the league.