Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Chappy wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:40 pm
Hjl wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:40 am
Look what my boss got me as a Christmas present! Wow. Can't wait to crack this one open.

Jammy bastard.
It is spectacular. I'm really impressed and as I didn't pay for it i can drinking guilt free.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:35 pm

Hjl wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:28 pm
My midnight drink will be a measure of George T Stagg <cheers>
Oh wow, that's some drink!

Where on earth did you get a bottle of that?
A mate of mine managed to get his hands on a bottle last year and gave me some <cheers>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Having my first taste of the Thomas Dakin small batch gin tonight. Was sold on the basis of tasting the horseradish botanical, which I confess i'm not getting. But am enjoying it very much even so. Garnishing it with a couple of pieces of clementine and really enjoying eating those gin soaked pieces when I get to the bottom of the glass.

Would recommend.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm

I do enjoy a quadruple G&T after I’ve had a few beers. Not long gotten into it to generally just have Bombay Sapphire.

Gave my sister a killer hangover a few weeks back as I was making the G&Ts and she thought they were just doubles. She had a 150 mile car journey that morning <laugh>

Edit: she was only a passenger, not the driver. I’m not a monster <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm
I do enjoy a quadruple G&T after I’ve had a few beers. Not long gotten into it to generally just have Bombay Sapphire.

Gave my sister a killer hangover a few weeks back as I was making the G&Ts and she thought they were just doubles. She had a 150 mile car journey that morning <laugh>

<laugh>

Yeah my home measures are a bit on the strong side as well. Am loving the new fad for gin though, so many new varieties out, or in this case a gin that's been around since 1761 finally getting spread to a wider market.

Bombay Sapphire is okay, although i'll admit I don't buy it as a rule unless it is on special offer, it doesn't figure anywhere near my favourites list. But i've probably got about 20 different gins in my drinks cabinet at a time and every one offers something different.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm

<laugh>

Yeah my home measures are a bit on the strong side as well. Am loving the new fad for gin though, so many new varieties out, or in this case a gin that's been around since 1761 finally getting spread to a wider market.

Bombay Sapphire is okay, although i'll admit I don't buy it as a rule unless it is on special offer, it doesn't figure anywhere near my favourites list. But i've probably got about 20 different gins in my drinks cabinet at a time and every one offers something different.
Yeah I like to think I know my stuff with regards to good whisky and bourbon as been drinking that for years but still finding my way with gin!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm

<laugh>

Yeah I like to think I know my stuff with regards to good whisky and bourbon as been drinking that for years but still finding my way with gin!
Sorry didn't mean to be disparaging about Bombay Sapphire. :) I look at as being a gateway drink, because it is so heavily marketed and chances are it is what you will get if you order a gin in a pub. Sort of the equivalent of Jack Daniels to bourbon. JD is what started me of on bourbon and I loved it at the time, but as I tasted more varieties I quickly realised that it was nothing special as far as bourbon's go and moved on to nicer brands. Now there is no chance I would ever buy a bottle of JD. Bombay is the gin equivalent to me, although I actually got started with Gordons, which I consider another gateway gin.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Burns night on Friday, definitely getting a haggis and having a wee dram or two.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 am

Tried McGregor's whiskey, Proper Twelve other night. As I imagined, it's Proper s****. (Don't worry, I didn't pay for it).
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:35 am

Haha never heard of it!

I got a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta as a present from someone at work, though I’m off the booze until good Friday (today is day 20, 11 to go...).

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:35 am
Haha never heard of it!

I got a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta as a present from someone at work, though I’m off the booze until good Friday (today is day 20, 11 to go...).
Nice one!

Bit of Whisky trivia for ya - Lasanta was the first single malt whisky I bought for myself. It's a great intro to single malt whisky. And the rest is history!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am

Chappy wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:35 am
Haha never heard of it!

Nice one!

Bit of Whisky trivia for ya - Lasanta was the first single malt whisky I bought for myself. It's a great intro to single malt whisky. And the rest is history!
Nice - I think my first was a Balvennie something or other <awe>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Got myself these on Friday. Both bloody glorious.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Got an A’Bunadh at home, decent stuff <ok>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 pm

A'Bunadh is definitely pound for pound one of the best whiskies out there...

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 am

It's pretty pricy here. About $75, so about £60.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am

Hjl wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 am
It's pretty pricy here. About $75, so about £60.
It's gone up in price here too, so that's sounds about right tbf.

I can remember when it used to cost £45 <urgh>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 pm

The octomore was $225 <puke>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Off to bonnie wee Scotland in June, staying close to Dufftown and gonna visit some distilleries and mooch about in Cairngorms.... looks amazing, can't wait <awe>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 am

I'm told Glenrothes single malts are nice. Got gifted a 12 y o Aqua Malt ?? Not being an experienced connoisseur ( my default spirit is gin ) I'm more of a two bottle a year whisky man. Anyway I saw this was valued circa £50. Presumably worth persisting. I like the suggesting its velvety, some are too harsh and peaty for my uncultured Scottish palate
Clydeside & Tyneside