F.A cup match thread - NUFC v Blackburn

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: F.A cup match thread - NUFC v Blackburn

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am

I agree that Murphy was s*** last night, but laughable that people think you can go from barely kicking a ball for weeks (months even) to putting in a star performance when you eventually get a game. Yes obviously it was an opportunity for him, but it’s not as easy as just coming in from the cold and tearing it up. And although they’re a championship side they beat WBA (who were in the PL until last season) last week so they’re obviously no mugs.

If Murphy is ever given a run of games to prove his worth but consistently fails to deliver then fair enough, slating him after a poor game when he’s clearly not fully up to match speed due to limited game time is stupid. The reaction of our fans when young players or players who haven’t played much don’t play like Messi as soon as they get a chance is ridiculous and one of many reasons why we fail miserably at developing players and why they have zero confidence.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am
I agree that Murphy was s*** last night, but laughable that people think you can go from barely kicking a ball for weeks (months even) to putting in a star performance when you eventually get a game. Yes obviously it was an opportunity for him, but it’s not as easy as just coming in from the cold and tearing it up. And although they’re a championship side they beat WBA (who were in the PL until last season) last week so they’re obviously no mugs.

If Murphy is ever given a run of games to prove his worth but consistently fails to deliver then fair enough, slating him after a poor game when he’s clearly not fully up to match speed due to limited game time is stupid. The reaction of our fans when young players or players who haven’t played much don’t play like Messi as soon as they get a chance is ridiculous and one of many reasons why we fail miserably at developing players and why they have zero confidence.
So much this. Add to that the fact that he's finally had a game on the right, but it's a game with a makeshift centre midfield, no Perez, and Joselu up top, and that's not an easy game to make an impact in. Should have done better in parts (particularly that woeful shot over the bar), but still needs a sensible run in the side.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:06 am

Murphy and Joselu were the stand out s*** performers in a s*** team performance, but you can tell these players never play together. It was so disjointed.
Kindly deeds done for free!

JamboGeordie
Tindall's Hoody

Post by JamboGeordie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Not seen any of the match but reading on here i dont plan to watch any of it now. Rafa won't be getting a penny more to spend, why would you give him money when he won't be here next season. We all know he's had a tight budget but even then he's not used it well.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Murphy is a victim of horrific man management. He'll come in to the team, finally start to get some form together then find himself cast out of the squad entirely for weeks on end for no apparent reason. No wonder the poor lad's confidence is shot to bits.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm

These performances have never surprised me over the years as you can't very well turn a side that has conservative survival tactics drilled into them into an attacking juggernaut at will (which is the problem with having such consistently conservative tactics). Especially true given that I haven't found our past few managers to be very good at squad rotation (a lack of depth doesn't help), but it always seems to result in a disjointed performance using players who never play together, with no clue how to play on the front foot against what should be inferior opponents.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Murphy hasn’t had a good game yet. Should we keep playing him until he does. He’s not good enough ( not his fault obviously ) like most of the squad
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:17 am

Toondes wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:15 pm
Murphy hasn’t had a good game yet. Should we keep playing him until he does. He’s not good enough ( not his fault obviously ) like most of the squad
£12m down the drain. Graeme Carr's £12m got a WC winner. Benitez' £12m got s****.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 am

Toondes wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:15 pm
We keep playing Atsu...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 am

“Murphy hasn’t had a good game yet” <laugh>

Alright then <wenger>

Stoke away last season he was decent.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am

Not the most solid of arguments BB
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

Stoke away last season, played very well.

I don’t disagree that a lot of the games he’s struggled in, but there have been occasions where he has shown potential in a struggling team. Plus most of the chances he’s had to play he’s probably had one of the worst strikers in the PL (Joselu) to try and pick out. He’s also never been given a run of games, I’d be surprised if he’d played more than two consecutive games for us. How is a young player new to the PL ever going to progress like that? Other players have had ample opportunity. Joselu has started god knows how many games despite being consistently rubbish, and even Diame was getting slated for poor performances early last season but kept getting picked and eventually he came good.

I think too many people have unfairly written Murphy off as being crap far too soon and based on incredibly little.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am
I think too many people have unfairly written Murphy off as being crap far too soon and based on incredibly little.
NUFC fans.

See Luuk de Jong
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm

It's Rafa's squad management. Look at Mitrovic under him. Barely played in the Championship, Rafa then signs Joselu and plays him game after game for the first half of the season despite making very little impact. Mitro gets an odd game every once in a while, gets dropped for the next game and eventually sold on. Merino got an injury but got the same thing and left. Ki only got in because of injuries. Say what you like about Pardew and his "favourites", but Rafa is far worse.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am
NUFC fans.

See Luuk de Jong
Thauvin.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm
It's Rafa's squad management. Look at Mitrovic under him. Barely played in the Championship, Rafa then signs Joselu and plays him game after game for the first half of the season despite making very little impact. Mitro gets an odd game every once in a while, gets dropped for the next game and eventually sold on. Merino got an injury but got the same thing and left. Ki only got in because of injuries. Say what you like about Pardew and his "favourites", but Rafa is far worse.
It's probably my biggest complaint. He seems really stubborn with his squad selection despite most players not playing well enough to deserve being automatic selections while others don't seem to be given the same opportunities.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 am

So ... what are we doing with this game? Some kind of B-squad again with the focus on Cardiff?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

vrabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 am
So ... what are we doing with this game? Some kind of B-squad again with the focus on Cardiff?
Almost certainly.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

The B squad isn't much different to the A squad at this point, it'll be yesterday's central midfield and a strong centre half partnership. Just Sterry, Manquillo, Murphy and Joselu in. Maybe Kenedy?

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Give me this 4-4-2
Woodman

Sterry - Schar - Clark - Manquillo

Longstaff - Hayden

Murphy ------------ Kenedy

Roberts - Joselu
Just for fun. Give Joselu someone to play next to since he's obviously no good in the loneman role. That team SHOULD do the job and allow us to not have to risk our better squad before a big game vs Cardiff this weekend.