January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by UlversToon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm
I'm just posting to get this to two pages.
Has it worked yet?

<whistle>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

He'll be s*** though...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Never heard of the lad, wonder what the plan is for Dummett?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm
Sell next window.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm

Let's Barreca mic
Let's Barreca mic
Let's Barreca mic...

PSYCHE!

<coat>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 am

ALF wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm
Replace him with a lost sheep
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am

Don't understand all the s*** dummett gets, we always look a better side when he's playing

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 am

I assumed people were joking? Our back 4 (as was) was pretty solid every time he plays, last two years he's been excellent.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:41 am

I think it’s a vocal minority that dislike him tbf, most realise he does a solid job.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

He used to be s***. Now he is not. I think most people like him as back-up but hope that we could have someone less limited as first choice

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 am

I don't think he was ever s***, but obviously he's improved with age. He can defend and that's the main thing, but I also think his crossing is pretty underrated. There's also the fact that even if he could maraud forward and skin players he'd probably be coached not to anyway, so we're not missing out on much.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am

Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am
Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

Let's not forget everyone said Yedlin was defensively s**** when we signed him, and Rafa has turned him into a pretty complete full back IMO. If anyone can teach defending it's Rafa.
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

Let's not forget everyone said Yedlin was defensively s**** when we signed him, and Rafa has turned him into a pretty complete full back IMO. If anyone can teach defending it's Rafa.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Before we switched to the back 3 most attacks were coming down his side due to sides targeting his poor positioning, his pace usually makes up for it but not always. I think he's pretty good as a wing back, but if we go back to a back 4 I'm hoping you're right about this improvement because I certainly haven't seen it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Re Yedlin: I was at the Chelsea game and he was definitely the weak link defensively, though I can’t remember if we played with 3 CBs with him as a wingback that game or if he was a RB.

I actually prefer us with 3 CBs.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

I'm with you on this, and think he's become a lot more consistent at the back. And in response to Colly's post, personally, despite me acknowledging that CB is our greatest position of depth, I've found a lot of the goals this season to be from errors in the box - particularly as the CBs were getting accustomed to playing 3/5 at the back. In general from open play we've defended really well, and its set pieces that have really hurt us, so I don't think Yedlin and the right side have been a big vulnerability.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm

As I said, with 3 at the back he's not been personally culpable for many goals, my issue with him is defending when he's playing as an actual full back which is what Speedo was talking about.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm
As I said, with 3 at the back he's not been personally culpable for many goals, my issue with him is defending when he's playing as an actual full back which is what Speedo was talking about.
Maybe I made my point badly then, but I guess I really meant that I thought from open play regardless of formation we've defended pretty well, and the period I thought was worst for our backline was the early days of 3 CBs when they didn't seem to be communicating well and were leaving forwards unmarked between them (since been resolved).

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't disagree about the teething troubles with the back 3, it's still there occasionally now. That for me doesn't take away from Yedlin's defensive shortfalls in a back four which has been consistent since he got here.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm

I mean Yedlin is often vulnerable in the air, but I don't feel he's awful. I don't think he's a downgrade on say Janmaat or Danny Simpson, for example. And he adds a huge amount to us going forward, whether we're playing a 4 or a 3/5 at the back. For example - his driving run created the situation that lead to the penalty vs. City.
I had the first custom w***