Match thread - Spurs v Toon

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match thread - Spurs v Toon

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Bah. Thought we'd get stuffed. Road our luck. Didn't play badly. Played well in spells. A point would have been great but we can at least keep our heads held up high. 3 points from these two fixtures is fantastic considering we all though they'd be dead rubbers. Just need to push on against the teams around us.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Happy enough with how we've played there - will forgive Dubravka a clanger or two - another few performances like that but with more pace on the break from Almiron and I think we'll be fine.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Another typical Newcastle defeat

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Luque wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:22 pm
Problem is, Dubravka had very little to do in the second half and the one thing he had to do... he did terribly. One of the few games where Benitez' set up gave us a chance heading into the 10 minutes only for your keeper to let us down. Not the first time this season and won't be the last.
Get a grip man. He’s a fantastic keeper for where we’re at. He came out time and again collecting crosses that he could have easily shied away from but didn’t coz he’s willing to step up and be counted. He made a mistake, it happens. Lloris has more howlers in him than Dubravka and he’s still one of the best keepers in the world

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Problem is we are running out of games now. All season we’ve had excuses that we have winnable games coming up and we’ve proved that we struggle to win any game. I feel really pissed off today as the times we did attack spurs we looked dangerous but we just didn’t do it enough. I dont think they played particularly well either.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm
Bah. Thought we'd get stuffed. Road our luck. Didn't play badly. Played well in spells. A point would have been great but we can at least keep our heads held up high. 3 points from these two fixtures is fantastic considering we all though they'd be dead rubbers. Just need to push on against the teams around us.
This.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm
Problem is we are running out of games now. All season we’ve had excuses that we have winnable games coming up and we’ve proved that we struggle to win any game. I feel really pissed off today as the times we did attack spurs we looked dangerous but we just didn’t do it enough. I dont think they played particularly well either.
Huddersfield, Southampton, Palace, Burnley at home, Fulham away...no shortage of winnable games there and we’ve still got a five point cushion.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:28 pm
Toondes wrote:
Huddersfield, Southampton, Palace, Burnley at home, Fulham away...no shortage of winnable games there and we’ve still got a five point cushion.
<applause>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Shame for Dubravka, really good defensive effort today just that one lapse in concentration and individual error that costs the whole team, tough being a goalie.

Think Almiron coming in for Atsu will really help us on days like today, will close the distance between defense and attack and give the opposition more to think about. Also wish we had ended Kenedys loan, i could forgive poor form this year if it wasnt for his attitude, he just doesnt look bothered and at this point i feel hes only playing for himself, i know he was only on a short while but Barreca was making some decent runs and Kenedy was constantly turning back inside looking to lay it off or dribble, really had enough of him now.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm
Shame for Dubravka, really good defensive effort today just that one lapse in concentration and individual error that costs the whole team, tough being a goalie.

Think Almiron coming in for Atsu will really help us on days like today, will close the distance between defense and attack and give the opposition more to think about. Also wish we had ended Kenedys loan, i could forgive poor form this year if it wasnt for his attitude, he just doesnt look bothered and at this point i feel hes only playing for himself, i know he was only on a short while but Barreca was making some decent runs and Kenedy was constantly turning back inside looking to lay it off or dribble, really had enough of him now.
Kenedy has been shocking. Like a s*** Atsu.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 pm

What has happened to Kenedy? He’s so impotent in comparison to last season where he showed flair and precision every time he had the ball

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm

originallad wrote:
If we came out of those 2 games with 2 points people would have been delighted, 3 points with a loss to go with it means the naysayers have their thing to whine and criticize. Ridiculous really.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm
Think Almiron coming in for Atsu will really help us on days like today, will close the distance between defense and attack and give the opposition more to think about.
Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for. Don't think he’ll start v Wolves but hopefully against Huddersfield at home.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm
originallad wrote:
If we came out of those 2 games with 2 points people would have been delighted, 3 points with a loss to go with it means the naysayers have their thing to whine and criticize. Ridiculous really.
Exactly!

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 pm
What has happened to Kenedy? He’s so impotent in comparison to last season where he showed flair and precision every time he had the ball
He was crap. Lascelles gives him the ball on half way and he takes about a 5 yard touch back towards his own goal.. control it and turn you cronut. Also, gave Barecca the ball at the wrong time and chose not to give him the ball when it was the right time to give him it. Didn't get 1 decision right.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere he had an ingrown toenail.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Luque wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
He was crap. Lascelles gives him the ball on half way and he takes about a 5 yard touch back towards his own goal.. control it and turn you cronut. Also, gave Barecca the ball at the wrong time and chose not to give him the ball when it was the right time to give him it. Didn't get 1 decision right.
Sure <ok>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Debravka is by a wide margin our best keeper. Dropping him for one mistake is demented. You really want Darlow or Elliot in his place?! Lol no

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm

originallad wrote:
This. I don't mind this defensive counter attacking against the ''Big Guns'' if you ride your luck, stay disciplined and organized you can snatch a point or three as shown by the Man City win, it is annoying though when we set up this way against teams around us when we should be on the front foot (Fulham springs to mind) so need to take advantage of the next couple home games which are very winnable. Had a couple good chances such as Rondon's header hitting the post and Lloris good save from Perez's curling shot, it could have been 0-1 to us on another day but that's how football is. Dubraka's rarely makes mistakes but the shot had power and he didn't adjust himself properly, it happens to the best of the best at some point in there careers Dubra's good outweigh his bads. His saved us so much points that he can afford a couple mistakes, he's only human. I was very impressed with Longstaff his ball retention, interceptions, composure and strength was excellent. Real prospect for the future if he continues this and Diame, Ki and Shevely are going to have to fight there way back in or you just pair one / two with Longstaff and drop Hayden who's been solid but unspectacular. I noticed that when we counter attack the quality just sometimes isn't there weather it be the final ball, decision making and technical ability Atsu and Perez just don't have that. I hope with Almirion coming in that can improve giving us more technique, composure, pace and vision, it will definitely help Rondon who mainly feeds on scraps.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Toondes wrote:
This makes no sense. Spurs away was never down as a winnable game. Realistically we were never going to get anything from Man City and Spurs yet we've got 3 points so we should be more than happy with that return.

The winnable games are in a few weeks time when we play Huddersfield and Burnley at home in the same week. Less than 4 points from them and we can complain.

Certainly nothing to complain about this week.