January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm
I mean Yedlin is often vulnerable in the air, but I don't feel he's awful. I don't think he's a downgrade on say Janmaat or Danny Simpson, for example. And he adds a huge amount to us going forward, whether we're playing a 4 or a 3/5 at the back. For example - his driving run created the situation that lead to the penalty vs. City.
Yeah, I'd agree that in the air and balls from the opposite side of the pitch sometimes cause him trouble, as his covering for CBs on crosses and high balls can sometimes be tentative, but I've thought his defending of dribblers and play on the ground on his side of the pitch has actually been quite good this season.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Speedo wrote:
I mean Yedlin is often vulnerable in the air, but I don't feel he's awful. I don't think he's a downgrade on say Janmaat or Danny Simpson, for example. And he adds a huge amount to us going forward, whether we're playing a 4 or a 3/5 at the back. For example - his driving run created the situation that lead to the penalty vs. City.
Brings up an interesting question, at least for me. Last few years we've had quite a lot of turnover in rightbacks. Debuchy, Simpson, Janmaat, Ryan Taylor and Perch to an extent, and now Yedlin. Who do people think are the best? As mentioned above, Yedlin is definitely not a poor alternative to any of the others. I was never that bothered about losing Janmaat either, he was okay but not spectacular. I liked Debuchy but I don't think he ever really settled, and getting rid of him when we did was the right move. Simpson was limited but did his best, but he now has a premier league winners medal (how did that happen? <laugh>) so he wins! I miss Raylor's free kicks.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm

CIH wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm
Speedo wrote:
Brings up an interesting question, at least for me. Last few years we've had quite a lot of turnover in rightbacks. Debuchy, Simpson, Janmaat, Ryan Taylor and Perch to an extent, and now Yedlin. Who do people think are the best? As mentioned above, Yedlin is definitely not a poor alternative to any of the others. I was never that bothered about losing Janmaat either, he was okay but not spectacular. I liked Debuchy but I don't think he ever really settled, and getting rid of him when we did was the right move. Simpson was limited but did his best, but he now has a premier league winners medal (how did that happen? <laugh>) so he wins! I miss Raylor's free kicks.
Debuchy probably the best followed by Yedlin? Simpson was solid enough for us. Janmaat was awful yet bizarrely popular. Taylor was poor at RB, had good delivery but wasn't good at all. Perch was committed but not great.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm
CIH wrote:

Debuchy probably the best followed by Yedlin? Simpson was solid enough for us. Janmaat was awful yet bizarrely popular. Taylor was poor at RB, had good delivery but wasn't good at all. Perch was committed but not great.
Perch was crap when he signed for us, got 5 yellows in five games I think? But he evolved into Perchino <awe>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Perch, the man who played better in every position than his own <laugh>

He bossed it in midfield and at LB for a while <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Was great as a defensive midfielder. Was terrible that time him and simpson were our CB's vs Norwich <laugh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 pm

CIH wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm
ALF wrote:

Perch was crap when he signed for us, got 5 yellows in five games I think? But he evolved into Perchino <awe>
Pretty sure he broke a record in doing that <laugh>

When he moved to DM he was a good player.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:59 am

Speedo wrote:
Yeah to be really clear I don't think he's horrific, he's just by far our defensive weak link in a back 4, and opposition sides know that. That for me isn't "the complete full back", and I think he's far better in his current position. He's definitely better than Danny Simpson. Don't get me started on Danny Simpson.

In terms of the big list for me Perch and Taylor weren't full backs, so Debuchy > Janmaat > Yedlin > Simpson for me. Not really buying this Janmaat is crap argument, he was at least as defensively solid as Yedlin and offered an awful lot going forward. He was excellent in his first season.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am

ALF wrote:
CIH wrote:

Janmaat was good yet bizarrely despised (symptomatic of that whole team, where the best players got the most crap). Especially because he got injured then broke his hand punching the ground because he was pissed off that he couldnt play, but at the same time he didnt care about playing? because why bother with logic? (and he didnt miss any games because of his hand, he missed them because of the aforementioned injury)

Like a much better version of Yedlin.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:57 am

Think Yedlin gets a really raw deal from some fans, a team in our current state are never going to have a very attacking fullback like him who has top defensive qualities too, if he had those he wouldn't be with us, he would be at a much better team imo.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 am

Colly wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:59 am
Speedo wrote:
Yeah to be really clear I don't think he's horrific, he's just by far our defensive weak link in a back 4, and opposition sides know that. That for me isn't "the complete full back", and I think he's far better in his current position. He's definitely better than Danny Simpson. Don't get me started on Danny Simpson.

In terms of the big list for me Perch and Taylor weren't full backs, so Debuchy > Janmaat > Yedlin > Simpson for me. Not really buying this Janmaat is crap argument, he was at least as defensively solid as Yedlin and offered an awful lot going forward. He was excellent in his first season.
Just curious, what position do you think Taylor was best suited to? He was a bit of a jack of all trades I know, but I always saw him predominantly as a right back. Played a lot on the left in fairness. Perch we signed as a right back I think, but again was more of a utility player. His best position eventually became CDM though. Anita played a lot of games at right back as well in the last championship season, missed him out.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Colly wrote:
Debuchy > Janmaat > Yedlin > Simpson for me. Not really buying this Janmaat is crap argument, he was at least as defensively solid as Yedlin and offered an awful lot going forward. He was excellent in his first season.
Beatski wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am
<ok>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm

I liked Janmaat but he has zero positional sense
# stolen from nufc.com :)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Beatski wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am
ALF wrote:

Janmaat was good yet bizarrely despised (symptomatic of that whole team, where the best players got the most crap). Especially because he got injured then broke his hand punching the ground because he was pissed off that he couldnt play, but at the same time he didnt care about playing? because why bother with logic? (and he didnt miss any games because of his hand, he missed them because of the aforementioned injury)

He was a fan favourite before the punching incident even though he was constantly getting caught out of position. Was a prime example of our fans not understanding what to expect from a full back.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm
We conceded so many goals from his side because he was always getting caught up the field.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Colly wrote:
Speedo wrote:

He's a Premier League winner for a reason <erm>

<roll>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:53 pm

I like Yedlin. I think he's our best wing back.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am

ALF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Colly wrote:

He's a Premier League winner for a reason <erm>

<roll>
<mob>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am

ALF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm
We conceded so many goals from his side because he was always getting caught up the field.
so like Yedlin then. Except Janmaat actually had end product (and a record amount of assists for a fullback for us), and didnt have the benefit of Benitez coaching him

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Beatski wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am
ALF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm

so like Yedlin then. Except Janmaat actually had end product (and a record amount of assists for a fullback for us), and didnt have the benefit of Benitez coaching him
And Janmaat had good strikers to direct crosses and passes to. And the benefit of not having Benitez requiring more conservative and rigid tactics. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge fan of Janmaat, so I have no qualms saying he was great, but I'm just not sure if it's an even playing field.