Match thread - Spurs v Toon

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Re: Match thread - Spurs v Toon

Post by TJR » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm
Debravka is by a wide margin our best keeper. Dropping him for one mistake is demented. You really want Darlow or Elliot in his place?! Lol no
This.

Dubravka had only made two mistakes in his year here. Today and Man Utd a few weeks ago. Other than that he's been brilliant and won us far more points than he's cost us.

Definitely the best keeper we've had since Shay Given.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 pm

TJR wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm
Problem is we are running out of games now. All season we’ve had excuses that we have winnable games coming up and we’ve proved that we struggle to win any game. I feel really pissed off today as the times we did attack spurs we looked dangerous but we just didn’t do it enough. I dont think they played particularly well either.
This makes no sense. Spurs away was never down as a winnable game. Realistically we were never going to get anything from Man City and Spurs yet we've got 3 points so we should be more than happy with that return.

The winnable games are in a few weeks time when we play Huddersfield and Burnley at home in the same week. Less than 4 points from them and we can complain.

Certainly nothing to complain about this week.
That’s what we have been saying all season. Surely you can judge a winnable game as we are playing it .
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Fulham and Huddersfield losing, Cardiff losing tonight would make it not a bad weekend at all.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm

TJR wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm
Problem is we are running out of games now. All season we’ve had excuses that we have winnable games coming up and we’ve proved that we struggle to win any game. I feel really pissed off today as the times we did attack spurs we looked dangerous but we just didn’t do it enough. I dont think they played particularly well either.
This makes no sense. Spurs away was never down as a winnable game. Realistically we were never going to get anything from Man City and Spurs yet we've got 3 points so we should be more than happy with that return.

The winnable games are in a few weeks time when we play Huddersfield and Burnley at home in the same week. Less than 4 points from them and we can complain.

Certainly nothing to complain about this week.
Exactly we're ahead of what we all would have realistically expected.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Fulham and Huddersfield losing, Cardiff losing tonight would make it not a bad weekend at all.
Huddersfield losing? They aren't catching anyone. Their result means nothing to us, they're done.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Luque wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Huddersfield losing? They aren't catching anyone. Their result means nothing to us, they're done.
Yeah I think we can safely say (bar a miracle) that Huddersfield are down.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm

originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 pm
Luque wrote:

But watch us sit back and play for a draw against them! <whistle>

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm
originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 pm

<laugh> and then lose! <laugh>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:49 pm

originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm

And be quite content with the loss knowing that we have more “winnable” games coming up.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Burnley equalise! Great result for us!

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:49 pm
originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pm

And be quite content with the loss knowing that we have more “winnable” games coming up.
We have a really good record against teams below us... I know you hate Rafa but come on
I had the first custom w***

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Luque wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Yeah I said that weeks ago, but they’re still below us and lost so worth mentioning.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:49 pm

We have a really good record against teams below us... I know you hate Rafa but come on

I dont hate Rafa , I just hate our style of football. Every single game is winnable but more often and not we have lost before we even play with the way we set up. Honestly thought spurs were there for the taking today but I seem to be in the minority.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Cardiff winning...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Biggest issue for me with Rafa's tactics is we lack an outball. It's all well and good setting up defensively but lumping the ball up for Rondon to fight 3 v 1 every time is just suicidal.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm
Biggest issue for me with Rafa's tactics is we lack an outball. It's all well and good setting up defensively but lumping the ball up for Rondon to fight 3 v 1 every time is just suicidal.
This is literally the reason we have signed Almiron

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:04 am

Speedo wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 pm
ALF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm
This is literally the reason we have signed Almiron
Yep, the only threat we've been having going forward has been Kenedy, which btw has no better ballcontrol than a brazilian Colback would have. Can't wait to see him flourish then sold in the summer for £30m <awe>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 am

Genuinely amazed by some comments in this thread. I'm one of the most outspoken critics of Rafa's alleged tactics, but I saw absolutely nothing wrong with them in the last two games (well, apart from playing Atsu ahead of the soiled rag, but still). We're running out of games? Most of us had us in 18th after these two, we're out of the relegation zone after two of the trickiest games of the season. Spurs might have been without Kane, but that defense is solid and we tested them, and were it not for a post and an uncharacteristic keeping error we might have got something, possibly even all 3.

Couple of easier games coming up with a record signing to make a debut, our best centre halfs are all fit and on form (remember the impact Lejeune made on the second half of last season), and fingers crossed Ki will be back soonish too. No worries here.

If we sit against Huddersfield at home though I'm getting the pitchfork and torch out...

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:41 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 am
Genuinely amazed by some comments in this thread. I'm one of the most outspoken critics of Rafa's alleged tactics, but I saw absolutely nothing wrong with them in the last two games (well, apart from playing Atsu ahead of the soiled rag, but still). We're running out of games? Most of us had us in 18th after these two, we're out of the relegation zone after two of the trickiest games of the season. Spurs might have been without Kane, but that defense is solid and we tested them, and were it not for a post and an uncharacteristic keeping error we might have got something, possibly even all 3.

Couple of easier games coming up with a record signing to make a debut, our best centre halfs are all fit and on form (remember the impact Lejeune made on the second half of last season), and fingers crossed Ki will be back soonish too. No worries here.

If we sit against Huddersfield at home though I'm getting the pitchfork and torch out...
Well said Colly.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 am

Best comment on this thread. Well said sir <applause>

If we f*** up against the teams around us then we and the doom-mongers can collaboratively complain about how s*** we are.