Match thread - Spurs v Toon

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Re: Match thread - Spurs v Toon

Post by Heisen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 pm

If we'd all been offered even a point from these two games we'd have taken it. As it is, we've got three and are outside the relegation zone with the toughest fixtures of the season out of the way.

It's been a bloody good week.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm

I know defensive isn't everyone's cup of tea but at least we do it really well, the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Spurs find it really difficult to break us down and they have world class attacking options, a lot of teams can park the bus and still come away with a 3 or 4 nil loss, with us the bigger teams know its a tough battle, i think they were saying the other day the only teams with a better defensive record is 4 of the top 6, if we keep these tactics and build a better counter attack (Almiron being a good start) we can easily push for a top 8 with these tactics. hopefully better attacking players can make it a little more entertaining too.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm
I know defensive isn't everyone's cup of tea but at least we do it really well, the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Spurs find it really difficult to break us down and they have world class attacking options, a lot of teams can park the bus and still come away with a 3 or 4 nil loss, with us the bigger teams know its a tough battle, i think they were saying the other day the only teams with a better defensive record is 4 of the top 6, if we keep these tactics and build a better counter attack (Almiron being a good start) we can easily push for a top 8 with these tactics. hopefully better attacking players can make it a little more entertaining too.
I think that is definitely the main problem. We sit back and defend with no real attacking outlet when we do counter. Rondon is doing brilliantly up in his own but pinging long balls to him against 2-3 defenders is fruitless a lot of the time. Hopefully Almiron offers us a more decisive attacking outlet as Ritchie and Perez , as much as they try , just aren’t up to standard . And don’t get me started on that useless cronut Kenedy.

On a plus point , Longstaff has looked very solid since he’s came into the side. Could turn out to be a cracking player , reminds me a lot of Carrick.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:33 pm

As always with Perez, he yet again gets in the right place but his finishing is f***ing awful. So frustrating. Yet he’ll scuff a goal in against Huddersfield then stick his fingers in his ears like he’s proven a point.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:59 pm

I think again though Perez is being judged on a fairly high standard that he's not going to reach whilst also covering a lot of defensive work too, while Atsu runs about doing bugger all. At very least Perez tests a keeper every now and then rather than Atsu's trademark backpass.

I'm genuinely looking forward to a Ki/Perez/Almiron/Rondon link up.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:59 pm
I think again though Perez is being judged on a fairly high standard that he's not going to reach whilst also covering a lot of defensive work too, while Atsu runs about doing bugger all. At very least Perez tests a keeper every now and then rather than Atsu's trademark backpass.

I'm genuinely looking forward to a Ki/Perez/Almiron/Rondon link up.
True, and yeah don’t really want to reopen a debate that’s been had!

Definitely think Almiron could link up well.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Darlow ;)
Yedlin - Schar - Lascelles - Lejuene - Barreca
Longstaff - Ki
Almiron - Perez
Rondon
Can't wait. Top 10 starting XI... relegation fodder outside taht.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 am
Genuinely amazed by some comments in this thread. I'm one of the most outspoken critics of Rafa's alleged tactics, but I saw absolutely nothing wrong with them in the last two games (well, apart from playing Atsu ahead of the soiled rag, but still). We're running out of games? Most of us had us in 18th after these two, we're out of the relegation zone after two of the trickiest games of the season. Spurs might have been without Kane, but that defense is solid and we tested them, and were it not for a post and an uncharacteristic keeping error we might have got something, possibly even all 3.

Couple of easier games coming up with a record signing to make a debut, our best centre halfs are all fit and on form (remember the impact Lejeune made on the second half of last season), and fingers crossed Ki will be back soonish too. No worries here.

If we sit against Huddersfield at home though I'm getting the pitchfork and torch out...
Lejeune is a top, top player.

Atsu would be good if he could kick a ball.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 pm

I'll say it again and again, I'd happily start with 10 Lejeune's. He's probably good in goal too.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:33 pm
As always with Perez, he yet again gets in the right place but his finishing is f***ing awful. So frustrating. Yet he’ll scuff a goal in against Huddersfield then stick his fingers in his ears like he’s proven a point.
yet he's our best attacking mid, and somehow gets the most grief

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 am

Beatski wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Hopefully Almiron can show him what he should be doing when he gets into decent positions.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 am
Beatski wrote:

Hopefully Almiron can show him what he should be doing when he gets into decent positions.
If he doesn't though <mob>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

In true Newcastle supporter fashion if he doesn’t score a hattrick in his first game we shall write him off as being a waste of money and the worst footballer of all time <laugh>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am

I thought Perez had a decent game against spurs, saw glimpses of his quality on a few occasions, makes me think Almiron coming in is going to elevate his game, hes definitely the type of player who needs competition for his place to get the best out of him, imo.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am
I thought Perez had a decent game against spurs, saw glimpses of his quality on a few occasions, makes me think Almiron coming in is going to elevate his game, hes definitely the type of player who needs competition for his place to get the best out of him, imo.
Agree about the competition, it can only be a good thing. I thought he did okay against Spurs until it came to the shot/final ball that could make the difference.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
I think and hope they'll both be on the pitch at the same time, and that theyll link up well

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am

Beatski wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
I think and hope they'll both be on the pitch at the same time, and that theyll link up well
In the formation we are playing lately you'd think he'd take the Atsu role. Although with Barreca coming in at LWB/LB it frees up Ritchie to move further up. Formation may change again, or Atsu and Perez could make way with Almiron and Ritchie in those floating roles?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 am
overseasTOON wrote:

In true Newcastle supporter fashion if he doesn’t score a hattrick in his first game we shall write him off as being a waste of money and the worst footballer of all time <laugh>
Don't forget this either <wave>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Beatski wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Well he's been our only (central) attacking mid for years, so I'm not sure if that's big praise. The longer a player is around, the more opportunity to collect fan baggage, and I think the fact he's been unchallenged in his position for so long is what frustrates me. He's fine to have in the squad, but has not been good enough to go unchallenged for his position. So I'm glad that's finally been addressed.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Having watched the highlights, anyone saying Dubravka needs dropped is a moron, he inspires so much more confidence when dealing with crosses and corners that Darlow ever would.