Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Match thread - Wolves v Toon

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm
Heisen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 pm
Officials f***ed us there mind. Missed an obvious foul on Almiron in injury time and they scored on 94:45. Ridiculous.
This. It's sheer heartbreak could have been a massive 3 points. Let's not look at the negatives so much though as performance wise we were excellent. Gameplan worked to near enough perfection. I'm not a fan of Hayden but credit were credit he's been good lately and I liked how he had license to make more attacking runs which confused and baffled Wolves back three as they already had occupy Rondon, Perez & Atsu. Longstaff was MOTM all day long, the best midfielder on the pitch today did everything right. Broke up play, composed on the ball, kept things ticking with his passing and positioning. The more impressive thing he was up against 3 quality and more experienced central midfielders in Neves, Moutinho and Deackoer. Injuries to Diame, Shevely and Ki have been a blessing in disguise, if he keeps developing and progressing he'll be a real player for us in the future. His games so simple but effective. Another positive was Almiron looks like he could be a cracking player for us, looks fast, confident on the ball and nearly had an assist when he crossed it in for Perez. For me I'll have him starting in the next game instead of Atsu. We've had three tough games and to get 4 points out of them is still a very good return and if it wasn't for one goalkeeping error and a debatable second error / bad officiating we could have come out with more. We have two big games at home that will decide our fate and if we won both of them we will be on 31 points which will practically mean we'll only need a few draws and one more win after that to be practically safe, I think with 35 - 36 points should be enough for safety this season.
Totally agree, well said Sanchino! <ok>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm
Acknowledging the keeper made a mistake is not "having a go at the keeper". Some perspective needed here. He is still the best keeper we've got and has earned us many more points than his mistakes may have cost us.
I think the difference is someone saying that he should have done better, and then those people namecalling and raging about how many points he's cost us. The former is completely reasonable, the latter ignores as you said, that he's earned more points than he's cost us.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Up to 16th now but should’ve be 14th
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm
Acknowledging the keeper made a mistake is not "having a go at the keeper". Some perspective needed here. He is still the best keeper we've got and has earned us many more points than his mistakes may have cost us.
I think the difference is someone saying that he should have done better, and then those people namecalling and raging about how many points he's cost us. The former is completely reasonable, the latter ignores as you said, that he's earned more points than he's cost us.
<ok>

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Huddersfield and Burnley are huge games.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Nice clear view of it

Burnopfield
Wood's Touch

Post by Burnopfield » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Whether a foul or not he should not have tried to catch it. He should be looking to punch that out on 95 mins and not catch it.

Lack of experience but will only get better

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Burnopfield wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm
Whether a foul or not he should not have tried to catch it. He should be looking to punch that out on 95 mins and not catch it.

Lack of experience but will only get better
he's 30. he should know by now.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Although I think Dubravka should have done better with the goal I will make one excuse for him, in that one of the defenders should have read the situation and taken the opportunity to take up a position right behind the keeper to stop any Wolves' players from being able to challenge him from behind, as Boly managed to do. Standard defending for me and if you watch the replay Boly strolled past three of our defenders who were almost totally static with none of them reacting as they should to shield the keeper.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Nice clear view of it
Sgt Slaughter would be proud of that
I'll Hazard a guess

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Should have managed injury time better and not taken the piss with subs taking an age.
Dubravka is a top keeper but should have done better.

4 points from City, Spurs and Wolves. We’re miles better than our position in the league suggests.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm

I don't like inconsistent refereeing. It's common the game over, but I can almost guarantee that gets called a foul for the first 85 minutes of the match - seeing as any contact by the attacker in the box is called anymore - but in the final minute they let it go.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm
Although I think Dubravka should have done better with the goal I will make one excuse for him, in that one of the defenders should have read the situation and taken the opportunity to take up a position right behind the keeper to stop any Wolves' players from being able to challenge him from behind, as Boly managed to do. Standard defending for me and if you watch the replay Boly strolled past three of our defenders who were almost totally static with none of them reacting as they should to shield the keeper.
Not for me. That's for the keeper to deal with, any attempt from a defender to put a block on just risks a penalty. The cross should have been cut out, but once it's up there he needs to be strong and he was anything but. Yes Boly's arms are on him but he's not being held down, he's just not gone with any conviction for that ball.

I think he's a cracking keeper and his shot stopping is top notch, but his control of his six yard box has been notably poorer this season than last. I'm slightly worried that might be down to the coaching of Steve 'Subbuteo keeper' Harper...

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Not for me. That's for the keeper to deal with, any attempt from a defender to put a block on just risks a penalty. The cross should have been cut out, but once it's up there he needs to be strong and he was anything but. Yes Boly's arms are on him but he's not being held down, he's just not gone with any conviction for that ball.

I think he's a cracking keeper and his shot stopping is top notch, but his control of his six yard box has been notably poorer this season than last. I'm slightly worried that might be down to the coaching of Steve 'Subbuteo keeper' Harper...
Harper isn't the GK Coach though, Smith is.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm
I don't like inconsistent refereeing. It's common the game over, but I can almost guarantee that gets called a foul for the first 85 minutes of the match - seeing as any contact by the attacker in the box is called anymore - but in the final minute they let it go.
It's also the same referee who gave Liverpool a penalty for Salah having his arm lightly brushed by Dummett

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Colly wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

I'm not suggesting our defender just stand there, he should have also been jumping to attempt a clearance in the event the keeper missed it. If he is on location and actively making an attempt to play the ball then any Wolves player would have to barge through him to have any chance to win the ball and would then in turn commit a foul.

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm
This is a good point. It's almost like the possible drama of a late equaliser means that the rules get flouted.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm
Colly wrote:

Harper isn't the GK Coach though, Smith is.
I must have misread when he got the academy job at the start of the season. I think that might be worse if he's corrupting our youth...

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Dubravka now has 3 mistakes (if we can count that as a mistake - as well as a foul) leading to a goal. Joint highest this season in the Premier League alongside Begovic, Pickford and Leno.