Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Match thread - Wolves v Toon

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Not for me. That's for the keeper to deal with, any attempt from a defender to put a block on just risks a penalty. The cross should have been cut out, but once it's up there he needs to be strong and he was anything but. Yes Boly's arms are on him but he's not being held down, he's just not gone with any conviction for that ball.

I think he's a cracking keeper and his shot stopping is top notch, but his control of his six yard box has been notably poorer this season than last. I'm slightly worried that might be down to the coaching of Steve 'Subbuteo keeper' Harper...
I'm not suggesting our defender just stand there, he should have also been jumping to attempt a clearance in the event the keeper missed it. If he is on location and actively making an attempt to play the ball then any Wolves player would have to barge through him to have any chance to win the ball and would then in turn commit a foul.
But to do that he'd essentially be barging into Dubravka which is just going to cause carnage. I think you're asking an awful lot of a defender to deal with a floaty cross to the back post like that. That's the keepers ball, you really don't see defenders behind them waiting for them to fail to catch.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm

He's won us far more points than he's cost us, and is clearly a better keeper than we've had for ages, but taking the mentality that he can be praised when he does well but isn't allowed to be criticised when he makes a mistake seems a little odd.

I consider myself to be pretty good at my job, but I'm also aware I have some days that are utter stinkers!
Doesn't really matter though. If a striker won you 10 games at the start of the season then had a string of games where he did **** all... does he stay in the team? Nar. It's about form. Can't continuously say he's done this and that in 2018 when it's 2019 now and he's f***ed 3 games for us out of 7 premier league games.
Who the f*** would you play instead then? Darlow, then hammer him when he makes a mistake? Because I guarantee if Darlow plays between now and the end of the season we'll drop more points than with Dubravka.

You'll be on here in 3 weeks piping up how s*** Almiron is, nailed on.
Last edited by Heisen on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 pm
Dubravka now has 3 mistakes (if we can count that as a mistake - as well as a foul) leading to a goal. Joint highest this season in the Premier League alongside Begovic, Pickford and Leno.
Wow! A whole three mistakes.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Heisen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm
Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Doesn't really matter though. If a striker won you 10 games at the start of the season then had a string of games where he did **** all... does he stay in the team? Nar. It's about form. Can't continuously say he's done this and that in 2018 when it's 2019 now and he's f***ed 3 games for us out of 7 premier league games.
Who the **** would you play instead then? Darlow, then hammer him when he makes a mistake?

You'll be on here in 3 weeks piping up how s*** Almiron is, nailed on.
Nah, Almiron will make us worth watching, the other 10 on the pitch haven't got an ounce of skill between them.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm

<neg>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I blame Rafa.

He must force Perez to sprint off next time. The cronut.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I thought the english referees were the best referees in the top european leagues. <worried> A very poor decision. Well, two poor decisions with the added minutes.

They are just like the spanish refs...

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 pm
Dubravka now has 3 mistakes (if we can count that as a mistake - as well as a foul) leading to a goal. Joint highest this season in the Premier League alongside Begovic, Pickford and Leno.
Some Rafa style Facts

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/saves

Joint 6th number of saves this season

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... PER&se=210

5th in clean sheets this season

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... high_claim

2nd in high claims -yes he got this one wrong but it happens (plus he was fouled)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... GOALKEEPER

6th in sweeper clearances

All those stats far out weigh your 3 so called mistakes
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm

You just know we're going to lose to Huddersfield. Beat Man City, lose to Huddersfield. Would be such an NUFC thing to do.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 pm

originallad wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm
You just know we're going to lose to Huddersfield. Beat Man City, lose to Huddersfield. Would be such an NUFC thing to do.
yeah but the league is measured by saves made not points earned. so wouldnt worry about it.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Deserved to win, showed a lot of heart, obvious foul on Dubravka but no point whinging, result will stand and we move on to Huddersfield which is now a must must win, after that Burnley, we will get 6 points if we show the heart we have tonight.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm not suggesting our defender just stand there, he should have also been jumping to attempt a clearance in the event the keeper missed it. If he is on location and actively making an attempt to play the ball then any Wolves player would have to barge through him to have any chance to win the ball and would then in turn commit a foul.
But to do that he'd essentially be barging into Dubravka which is just going to cause carnage. I think you're asking an awful lot of a defender to deal with a floaty cross to the back post like that. That's the keepers ball, you really don't see defenders behind them waiting for them to fail to catch.
At what point did I suggest he would be challenging the keeper for the ball? And yes it is standard defending ... at least according to the coaching I received as a player anyway. It is essentially no different than using your body to shield the ball as it goes out for a goal kick or throw in. And an opposition player has no right to barge through you to get the ball in any of those instances.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Just got home from the match and haven’t read through what people have been saying. But for me:

1) a draw isn’t an unfair result based on the game and chances created.

2) yeah it was 94:52 or whatever when they scored but it’s a minimum of 4 mins stoppage time and we were doing a bit of time wasting

3) I was near the halfway line so can’t comment if it was a foul by Boly.

4) Longstaff looked class, constantly looking for space, looking forward, shielding the ball well and finding a pass (our MOTM for me).

5) this formation suits us, we just need better players in some positions (i.e. Ritchie isn’t a LWB and Yedlin can’t cross a ball to save his life). Formation and tactics are decent so credit to Rafa tho, can only work with what he’s got.

6) Almiron looked very positive when he came on, definitely start him v Huddersfield

7) Atsu is awful.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Luque wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 pm
originallad wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 pm
yeah but the league is measured by saves made not points earned. so wouldnt worry about it.
Once again acting childish when you've been called out and corrected for saying something stupid.
I'll Hazard a guess

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 pm
4) Longstaff looked class, constantly looking for space, looking forward, shielding the ball well and finding a pass (our MOTM for me).

<applause>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm

He looks every ounce a PL player, I’d go as far as to say that he’s the first CM on our team sheet at the moment (even when everyone else is fit). The others are vying for a place alongside him. Neves is touted as one of the best young midfielders around and Longstaff outshone him today so hopefully he can maintain and carry on doing what he’s doing. Got a great attitude too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Well I'd have taken a point before the game but that's just the way the 🍪 crumbles

Saying that though, I have fully believed we'd stay up even when we were in the bottom three, solid in the back , excellent keeper and great striker in the form of rondon always causing trouble, however it is the mid that looks so lack luster, so below mediocre, sure they have flashes of it but in terms of a unit, both heading forward and defending, they have been , for lack of a better word , bog standard.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Just got home from the match and haven’t read through what people have been saying. But for me:

2) yeah it was 94:52 or whatever when they scored but it’s a minimum of 4 mins stoppage time and we were doing a bit of time wasting

5) this formation suits us, we just need better players in some positions (i.e. Ritchie isn’t a LWB and Yedlin can’t cross a ball to save his life). Formation and tactics are decent so credit to Rafa tho, can only work with what he’s got.

6) Almiron looked very positive when he came on, definitely start him v Huddersfield

7) Atsu is awful.
Agree 1-1 away at Wolves is s good result.

It just feels bad as they scored with the last kick

I felt we retreated too much as the game wore on - and taking off an attacker for Manquillo compounded that and cost us.

All in all from what I saw (only 2nd half) we seemed to knock the ball around quite well for a period and looked like we might get another.

Almiron looked lively.

Our defenders never seem to have a decent outball and clearences keep coming back.

If we stay up (I think we will) I would be looking for a new rb.
Don't think Yedlin is up to it at this level.

And I'd peddle Atsu and Kenedy

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:

7) Atsu is awful.
Agree 1-1 away at Wolves is s good result.
It just feels bad as they scored with the last kick

I felt we retreated too much as the fame wore on - and taking off an attacker for Manquillo compounded that and cost us.

All in all from what I say (only 2nd half) we seemed to knock the ball around quite well for a period and looked like we might get another. Almiron looked lively.
Our defenders never seem to have a decent outbsll and clearencesvkeep coming back.
If we stay up (I think we will) U would be looking for a new rb. Dontv think Yedlin is up to it.

And I'd peddle Atsu and Kenedy

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:

7) Atsu is awful.

Oooo look at me etc.