Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Match thread - Wolves v Toon

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm
He looks every ounce a PL player, I’d go as far as to say that he’s the first CM on our team sheet at the moment (even when everyone else is fit). The others are vying for a place alongside him. Neves is touted as one of the best young midfielders around and Longstaff outshone him today so hopefully he can maintain and carry on doing what he’s doing. Got a great attitude too.
I'm glad he got a proper opportunity to prove himself. This isn't a shot at Rafa, because it goes back farther than him, but I feel like Longstaff is the first academy player (besides Dummett) to have gotten a consistent run-out in the senior side, in his true position, in a long time. Maybe he showed more on his loans and in the reserves to separate himself from others, but it just proves that given the right opportunity an unheralded youngster can exceed expectations.
He was fantastic against Pats in pre-season I think this is when he really caught Rafa's eye.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

I'm glad he got a proper opportunity to prove himself. This isn't a shot at Rafa, because it goes back farther than him, but I feel like Longstaff is the first academy player (besides Dummett) to have gotten a consistent run-out in the senior side, in his true position, in a long time. Maybe he showed more on his loans and in the reserves to separate himself from others, but it just proves that given the right opportunity an unheralded youngster can exceed expectations.
He was fantastic against Pats in pre-season I think this is when he really caught Rafa's eye.
It's been great to see. You have to put those young players in positions to succeed, not just random cup ties in a makeshift squad.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

It's been great to see. You have to put those young players in positions to succeed, not just random cup ties in a makeshift squad.
100% agree, only speaking of this with an English colleague in regards to the likes of Sancho, bar perhaps Man U and Spurs no team in the so called top 5-6 (even the top 10) has really given youth a chance to develop at their clubs.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm

100% agree, only speaking of this with an English colleague in regards to the likes of Sancho, bar perhaps Man U and Spurs no team in the so called top 5-6 (even the top 10) has really given youth a chance to develop at their clubs.
Bournemouth is one of the few that comes to mind that's made up of players that have been there for a long time or worked their way up through the squad.

Unrelated, but when I was looking through some other squads I saw how many players Everton has out on loan - which highlights just how terrible their transfer activity has been over the past few years.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm
He looks every ounce a PL player, I’d go as far as to say that he’s the first CM on our team sheet at the moment (even when everyone else is fit). The others are vying for a place alongside him. Neves is touted as one of the best young midfielders around and Longstaff outshone him today so hopefully he can maintain and carry on doing what he’s doing. Got a great attitude too.
I agree. Part of it is probably down to circumstance and literally having no other CM options available for a sustained period of time and Longstaff has grabbed that opportunity. Chances are, had Longstaff played one game (even playing well) then Shelvey, Ki or Diame were available the next game then they'd be back in the team over him. So our midfield injury crisis was in a way just what we needed as it turned out!

Rafa has given some youngsters a go in the past but it's typically for one game then they're not seen again for ages. Wasn't Mbabu sold by Rafa? He had a couple of good games then disappeared, presumably because whoever was LB at that time returned from suspension or injury.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Mood.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Remember Colo wrote:

Everyone else getting injured is when he caught Rafa's eye. If it wasn't for that he still wouldn't have played a minute.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Rondon and Yedlin were awful. Dubravka made an error but he made a lot of good saves. Longstaff is better than Paul Scholes ever was. Almiron was lively, looked great in his cameo.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Everyone else getting injured is when he caught Rafa's eye. If it wasn't for that he still wouldn't have played a minute.
Hell were it not for Shelvey's injury we'd never have seen Ki never mind Longstaff.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm
Rondon and Yedlin were awful. Dubravka made an error but he made a lot of good saves. Longstaff is better than Paul Scholes ever was. Almiron was lively, looked great in his cameo.
Rondon wasn’t awful (maybe he appeared that way if you only saw it on TV but certainly not if you saw the match).

Agree with the rest tho <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Longstaff is looking really good so far, great promise, and does't look out of place. Better than Scholes ever was? Wind your neck in.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Emiliano Sala's Invincible Hair wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm
Longstaff is looking really good so far, great promise, and does't look out of place. Better than Scholes ever was? Wind your neck in.
Can't be 100% sure here, but there's a slight chance it may have been a joke <roll>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm
ALF wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm
Rondon wasn’t awful (maybe he appeared that way if you only saw it on TV but certainly not if you saw the match).

Were you at the match? Should've said! <roll>

Thought he was so poor. 6/7 times he took far too long on the ball, held it up well and had good options but just kept hold of it and was tackled. Nearly conceded from it 2 or 3 times. Was also lazy with his pressing. There was one occasion where the Wolves keeper took a poor touch and instead of speeding up his press and pressuring him(considering he was only about 10 yards away) he just stopped and let him get it back under control. And he completely misjudged a simple header on the halfway line about 20 seconds before they scored. Could have relieved the pressure and seen out the win.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 am

Beatski wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm
Emiliano Sala's Invincible Hair wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm
Can't be 100% sure here, but there's a slight chance it may have been a joke <roll>
I thought that at first, then I realised it was ALF posting.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am

ALF wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Thought he was so poor. 6/7 times he took far too long on the ball, held it up well and had good options but just kept hold of it and was tackled. Nearly conceded from it 2 or 3 times. Was also lazy with his pressing. There was one occasion where the Wolves keeper took a poor touch and instead of speeding up his press and pressuring him(considering he was only about 10 yards away) he just stopped and let him get it back under control. And he completely misjudged a simple header on the halfway line about 20 seconds before they scored. Could have relieved the pressure and seen out the win.
Think we were watching different games if that’s how you saw it <laugh>

He was constantly harrying and pressing and using his strength to good effect. Never let their back line settle. If he did take long on the ball sometimes it’s because he had literally no pass on! Not sure what he’s supposed to do other than wait.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah if we're nearly conceding from our lone striker being dispossessed we've got bigger problems than Robson...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am
ALF wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 pm

He was constantly harrying and pressing and using his strength to good effect. Never let their back line settle. If he did take long on the ball sometimes it’s because he had literally no pass on! Not sure what he’s supposed to do other than wait.
There were plenty of occasions he had a pass on he just didn't do it. I think he's been brilliant most of the season but he wasn't on his game at all on Monday.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:29 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am

There were plenty of occasions he had a pass on he just didn't do it. I think he's been brilliant most of the season but he wasn't on his game at all on Monday.
Fair enough. Hopefully he can bang in a goal v Huddersfield.

He was looking a bit knackered towards the end so a 2 week break will do him good.