Match thread - Toon v Burnley

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: Match thread - Toon v Burnley

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Debated going tonight, start work at 6 tomorrow won't be back in bed in York until 1.

So glad I did. Very pro performance, took our chances well 1st half, buzzing for Longstaff, what a player we have on our hands. 2nd half we invited a bit too much pressure on but it's to be expected the way they play especially with Crouch on.

Hayden unsung hero for me, broke up play brilliantly, what a fantastic attitude the lad has.

Massive win, a point would be a great result Saturday, looking forward to it.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

jpg wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 pm
Is there a rule I’m missing which says there’ll always be more time added on in the second half than in the first?

No goals in the second half, no major stoppages yet 5 minutes added on?
Generally they give 30 seconds for every sub, goal and injury and then usually one customary minute. So first half had 2 goals (1 min) plus the customary 1 min. Second half had 5/6 subs so 3 mins plus 1 injury and then a customary minute to make about 4/4.5 mins that should have been added

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 pm
Debated going tonight, start work at 6 tomorrow won't be back in bed in York until 1.

So glad I did. Very pro performance, took our chances well 1st half, buzzing for Longstaff, what a player we have on our hands. 2nd half we invited a bit too much pressure on but it's to be expected the way they play especially with Crouch on.

Hayden unsung hero for me, broke up play brilliantly, what a fantastic attitude the lad has.

I'll admit as a regular critic of Hayden the past few years, he's really elevated his game lately. Until lately I thought he was often the bad kind of disruptive on the pitch, collecting too many fouls and losing possession, but his tackling has been more precise, and he's moved the ball quickly and simply, which has played to his strengths.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 pm

These routine victories are awfully unsettling. Expecting Big Mike to announce he's bulldozing the training ground tomorrow.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 pm

I'll admit as a regular critic of Hayden the past few years, he's really elevated his game lately. Until lately I thought he was often the bad kind of disruptive on the pitch, collecting too many fouls and losing possession, but his tackling has been more precise, and he's moved the ball quickly and simply, which has played to his strengths.
Him and Longstaff really compliment each other. Hayden is more aggressive when we are deep without the ball, Longstaff finding space to keep us ticking over, when we push up Hayden sits deep Longstaff pushes up more to the edge of the box, generally. Great partnership imo.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Heisen wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 pm
These routine victories are awfully unsettling. Expecting Big Mike to announce he's bulldozing the training ground tomorrow.
#BringBackPards

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm
jpg wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 pm
Is there a rule I’m missing which says there’ll always be more time added on in the second half than in the first?

No goals in the second half, no major stoppages yet 5 minutes added on?
Generally they give 30 seconds for every sub, goal and injury and then usually one customary minute. So first half had 2 goals (1 min) plus the customary 1 min. Second half had 5/6 subs so 3 mins plus 1 injury and then a customary minute to make about 4/4.5 mins that should have been added
Ah yes, subs - bit of an oversight there! 5 minutes still seems high for a relatively low-scoring game.... I think I'm still scarred from the Wolves match.

Just looking at the table - perfect set of results for us tonight! Brighton in trouble though; have only managed 2 points since the new year.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:49 pm

<dotheameobi>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Heisen wrote:
...because he's buying into Rafa's project and making a start of renovating the training ground? <divax>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:06 pm

<laugh>

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Him and Longstaff really compliment each other. Hayden is more aggressive when we are deep without the ball, Longstaff finding space to keep us ticking over, when we push up Hayden sits deep Longstaff pushes up more to the edge of the box, generally. Great partnership imo.
This. They suit each other's game so nicely. Either one of Hayden, Longstaff and Schar could have been MOTM. All of them were brilliant as were the whole team. 1st half was fantastic, second not so much as we stepped down from the pedal a bit and they put us under a bit of pressure towards the end but still a comfortable and hard-fought win, should have put Atsu instead of Dummet to give us a outlet on the counter and Joselu for Rondon who was exhausted. Even though he's our main focal point, would it be wise to possibly give him a break after the West Ham game? Could try something different and put in Perez down the middle with Atsu/Ritchie and Almiron supporting him. Overall a much needed three points, we're not totally safe yet but a few more performances like this and we should be looking at a comfortable ending to the season with a couple games to spare. West Ham won't be easy but there beatable and wouldn't surprise me if we come away with all three points but a draw would be alright.

Onwards and upwards!!! <diva>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Very professional performance tonight. We were brilliant first half.

Second half we would have drawn or even lost the game not that long ago. Did exceptionally well to maintain our composure and professionalism throughout despite the intentions of Burnley.

If I was a Burnley fan I'd be concerned. They were the worst team I've see at St James' Park this season, including Huddersfield and Cardiff. Huddersfield played better football with 10 men. Burnley constantly kept hitting it long all night and had no intention of playing a game of football. Worse than Stoke under Pulis. Bunch of talentless thugs.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 am

TJR wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Very professional performance tonight. We were brilliant first half.

Second half we would have drawn or even lost the game not that long ago. Did exceptionally well to maintain our composure and professionalism throughout despite the intentions of Burnley.

If I was a Burnley fan I'd be concerned. They were the worst team I've see at St James' Park this season, including Huddersfield and Cardiff. Huddersfield played better football with 10 men. Burnley constantly kept hitting it long all night and had no intention of playing a game of football. Worse than Stoke under Pulis. Bunch of talentless thugs.
It's their first loss of 2019, I think their fans are probably feeling okay considering how their season started.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:04 am

Yeah one defeat in ten games, I wouldn’t be concerned if I was a Burnley fan. They’re not going down.

Excellent win last night, bring on the hammers.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

jpg wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 pm
Heisen wrote:
...because he's buying into Rafa's project and making a start of renovating the training ground? <divax>
I think we should just move the Training Ground to Spain given how we've played every time we've gone on a training camp there
I'll Hazard a guess

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 am

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 pm
Could try something different and put in Perez down the middle with Atsu/Ritchie and Almiron supporting him.
I was thinking Muto, Perez and Almiron.

Think of the absolutely ungodly pace.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am

Is Muto injured or just out of favour?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am
I've heard that while he is doing well in training , his lack of English (which he is improving with) is hindering his understanding of what is wanted of him tactically.

At the moment so I hear Schar and Joselu who both speak German are helping him.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am
I've heard that while he is doing well in training , his lack of English (which he is improving with) is hindering his understanding of what is wanted of him tactically.

Sounds like the Mbemba issue...

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

Sounds like the Mbemba issue...
A little but I think Muto is putting more effort into actually learning English something Mbemba didn't. I think with Mbemba, one of Rafa first thoughts was that he needed to improve his English and that for a player who had been in the country for the last 6 months he had put very little effort into it, and he preferred to rely on others to pass on what was being said to him.

This continued for the Championship season despite what Rafa asked him to do. We'll see what happens with Muto but from as I said I've heard he is making more of an effort even asking Maya Yoshida to converse with him in English while on International duty so he can get to grips.
I'll Hazard a guess