Rafa Benitez reveals 'positive' talks over his Newcastle United future

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Rafa Benitez reveals 'positive' talks over his Newcastle United future

Post by beatski » Fri May 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Rafa Benitez has dropped his biggest hint yet that he's ready to commit his future to Newcastle United.
Benitez, out of contract in the summer, was asked about his future ahead of tomorrow night's home game against Liverpool.

United's manager, keen for the club to compete higher up the Premier League table, outlined in late March what it would take to persuade him to stay at St James's Park.

"I was talking with (managing director) Lee Charnley this week, and we will let you know as soon as we have more news," said Benitez.

"We have had another talk. We'll continue to talk."

Asked if talks had been "positive", Benitez said: "Yes."

Benitez was asked if the Liverpool game could be his last at St James's Park as Newcastle manager.

“I know this is the last home game of the season, but still I'm positive," said Benitez. "We're talking. I would like to see this club growing and growing and where it deserves to be.

“We'll let you know. I understand you will ask me, and I will be asked again. At least we have been talking and we can move forward a little bit."

Fans are planning another emotional show of support for Benitez before and during the Liverpool game.

"I know the fans are supporting me and trying to convince me to stay," said Benitez. "I appreciate that. I'm happy in the city.

"We're very comfortable here. The point is that we want to progress."

Newcastle are 13th in the Premier League table with two games left to play.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Rafa Benitez reveals 'positive' talks over his Newcastle United future

Post by PTAO? » Fri May 03, 2019 3:18 pm

If Ashley et al cock this up, I really am done with this club. Unless he's lying to us, all Rafa is asking for is for the club to show ambition, try to compete with the "best of the rest". If Ashley won't agree to that, what is the point in even supporting us? I don't want to give my money to a club that just makes up the numbers.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Great to hear, but years of Ashley has instantly led me to assume that positive talks mean nothing’s when it comes to action. Plus I doubt Rafa would come out and day “it’s not going to plan so I’ll probably be off” on the eve of a big game where there should be a crackling atmosphere.

Hope I’m wrong!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri May 03, 2019 5:05 pm

A contract will be all but signed already and has probably been there for a while, Rafa doesn't like distractions and doesn't like to openly talk business, we will finish the season before anything is announced. It's how he and the club work with these matters

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 pm

I will be over the moon if we sign him to another 3 years contract (or longer). Will be happy but also a little disappointed if it’s shorter

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Rafa is in a pretty great situation right now. He's already very highly paid, he has clubs lining up around the block for him, he's considered a hero in Newcastle, and even if he were to leave, regardless of what he was offered, Ashley remains the villain.

That said, I'm in the camp that he's going to stay, and that he just let the furor build to gain added leverage in negotiations. I'll be pretty surprised if they let him walk - not because of meaningless petitions, but because a good manager provides so much value to a club that doesn't want to spend as much on players.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Sat May 04, 2019 7:46 am

Surely a stipulation of him signing will be that we sign Rondon? I don't want to get my hopes too high but surely!
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat May 04, 2019 8:02 am

I doubt it, what if West Brom flat out say no? There's far too many variables involved to have that in a contract, and to be honest I'd be disappointed if that's the thing that would make him sign anyway.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 am

The guarantees will be around money available and potentially the authority to sign players over a certain age I suspect. As Colly says, you can’t stipulate signing a specific player as ultimately that decision falls to the club who owns them and the player themselves.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 am
The guarantees will be around money available and potentially the authority to sign players over a certain age I suspect. As Colly says, you can’t stipulate signing a specific player as ultimately that decision falls to the club who owns them and the player themselves.
Well yeah was thinking more along these lines anyway. Obviously not specifically having Rondon in the contract but more assurances that we will go in for players over a certain age so that there is a good chance we can get him.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 am

I think our policy of not signing players in their late 20s or more is ridiculous. You need experience in any team and as I’ve said before, people in their late 20s or older still have s*** loads of football in them. Look at Moutinho at wolves, absolute class this season. 32 years old and £5m was a fantastic signing.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 am
I think our policy of not signing players in their late 20s or more is ridiculous. You need experience in any team and as I’ve said before, people in their late 20s or older still have s*** loads of football in them. Look at Moutinho at wolves, absolute class this season. 32 years old and £5m was a fantastic signing.
This. Form is temporary but class is permanent. We need experience in the team I agree. Rondon still has 2 to 3 years at this level he's never had any great pace so it's not like he'll suffer or have to adapt his playing style differently when he's in his 30's he'll still be strong in the air, linking up play and working hard. A great example is Glen Murray at Brighton he's 35 but still a threat with his finishing, aerial ability and hold-up play. As long as a team's willing to play to the striker's strengths and playing style they'll thrive and have longevity if they keep themselves fit, healthy and injury free.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat May 04, 2019 11:43 am

That's not the point of the policy though, it's to live within our means and get decent value if we sell. Buy Rondon and you get a couple of seasons out of him and nothing at the end. Buy his 25 year old equivalent and you get the same few seasons but if he's decent we then make a profit at the end. Of course 25 year old Rondon is out of our budget, hence our old system of signing a load of 22 year olds and see how they do.

It's actually not a horrible way of doing things, and done right it would let us build as a club, but sadly because of our toxic reputation lowering our ad revenue it's only ever been used to try to claw Ashley's loans back.

As with all things it needs balance, a couple of experienced players does help, though it's not as if we've done badly with Lascelles leading the team and the likes of Dummett taking on responsibility.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sat May 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:24 am
I think Rafa said something similar to this effect. It's all well and good having a policy that allows you to sell players for profit in the future, but you have to mix it up with experience.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 05, 2019 10:35 am

Being linked to Wenger <laugh> As if that would ever happen
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun May 05, 2019 10:37 am

CIH wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:35 am
Being linked to Wenger <laugh> As if that would ever happen
<laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I know Rondon has been positioned as an example of the age policy, and I believe that maybe was a sticking point about Rondon, but players like Fernandez, Diame and Ki were all veteran signings, so it isn't as if players around 30 have been completely ruled out - just one very expensive one who's probably exceeded most peoples' expectations.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm
I know Rondon has been positioned as an example of the age policy, and I believe that maybe was a sticking point about Rondon, but players like Fernandez, Diame and Ki were all veteran signings, so it isn't as if players around 30 have been completely ruled out - just one very expensive one who's probably exceeded most peoples' expectations.
I don't think the policy is necessarilly around age, it's more to do with sell on value. Which is affected by the advancing years. 16m+ on a player of that age means you aren't getting any of that bad. We should sign him, but I don't think we'll pay that price. Fernandez was the dearest of those you mentioned at what, 6m? Three of them good signings but haven't broke even Ashley's shallow pockets.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:13 pm

CIH wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:38 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm
I don't think the policy is necessarilly around age, it's more to do with sell on value. Which is affected by the advancing years. 16m+ on a player of that age means you aren't getting any of that bad. We should sign him, but I don't think we'll pay that price. Fernandez was the dearest of those you mentioned at what, 6m? Three of them good signings but haven't broke even Ashley's shallow pockets.
No I think you're absolutely right, it really is more about value rather than age, so I think when poking holes in their policy/approach, its less about saying we'll never have experience in the side (which some people complained about), and more about getting a player of quality. That said, despite Rondon having a much better season than I expected, I would worry about having him on the books for 4-5 years, because I don't think he'll be this good for that long.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 pm

I think that if we can get Rondon for around £15m and get 2 or 3 seasons similar to this one then it’s an excellent deal. That’s still a cheap fee by today’s standards.