The F1 Thread

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Speedo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am
s*** race but Hamilton is up there with the most gifted sports people of all time. Absolutely untouchable.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets one of his earliest ever title wins this year. In the last couple of seasons Ferrari have kept pace until the summer break (before Ham goes on the dominate after the break) but they’re not even doing that now.
I dunno, Bottas looks a lot closer so far this year. But Mercedes do look safely out front right now. Disappointing that Red Bull and Ferrari are so far behind - not helped by Ferrari’s consistently dodgy strategy calls.
I had the first custom w***

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 am

...also yes this was a snoozefest

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am
s*** race but Hamilton is up there with the most gifted sports people of all time. Absolutely untouchable.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets one of his earliest ever title wins this year. In the last couple of seasons Ferrari have kept pace until the summer break (before Ham goes on the dominate after the break) but they’re not even doing that now.
I dunno, Bottas looks a lot closer so far this year. But Mercedes do look safely out front right now. Disappointing that Red Bull and Ferrari are so far behind - not helped by Ferrari’s consistently dodgy strategy calls.
Bottas hasn’t been far away but he’s just not ruthless enough (even with his new beard).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 pm

It will be a Bottas Hammy fight at this rate. The Ferrari car is just not as competitive currently plus Seb is making mistakes and Le Clerc is getting bad calls from his team. Red Bull vs Ferrari may be the more interesting fight this season

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 pm
It will be a Bottas Hammy fight at this rate. The Ferrari car is just not as competitive currently plus Seb is making mistakes and Le Clerc is getting bad calls from his team. Red Bull vs Ferrari may be the more interesting fight this season
Yeah, for most of the race we didn’t see any footage of the Mercs as there’s no point watching them easily pull away at the front.

There has been good racing in the middle of the pack for the first couple of races but very little today.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:59 am

Baku seems to deliver drama and the first practice session has been cancelled.

The Williams of Russell drove over a loose manhole cover which ripped the floor to pieces and has likely destroyed the chassis. A recovery truck eventually picks up the stricken Williams and then drives into a bridge on the way back and breaks down which means another recovery truck is sent out to recover the recovery truck carrying the Williams.

Now the race organisers have to check every manhole cover (rumoured to be 300 of them) and check on the bridge.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:43 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:59 am
Baku seems to deliver drama and the first practice session has been cancelled.

The Williams of Russell drove over a loose manhole cover which ripped the floor to pieces and has likely destroyed the chassis. A recovery truck eventually picks up the stricken Williams and then drives into a bridge on the way back and breaks down which means another recovery truck is sent out to recover the recovery truck carrying the Williams.

Now the race organisers have to check every manhole cover (rumoured to be 300 of them) and check on the bridge.
<laugh> I saw the manhood incident, didnt realise the recovery truck also needed to be recovered!

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Bought my USGP tickets today <diva>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:00 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 pm
If you're in Austin than head to a County Line BBQ place.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:24 am

PTAO? wrote:
Nice! Would really like to do the USGP one day and make a road trip of it.

I’ve just caught up on qually, eventful session. Still think Kubica shouldn’t be driving, he can’t even match his rookie teammate (both in a dog of a car) for speed and showed no really speed in testing last season. He’s done amazingly well to come back to where he’s got to, it’s a superhuman effort, but he’s just not quick enough now.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 am

Yeah crazy quali and hopefully equally mental race. (That corner where everyone keeps crashing is ludicrously tight tho)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am

Speedo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 am
Yeah crazy quali and hopefully equally mental race. (That corner where everyone keeps crashing is ludicrously tight tho)
Certainly seems to be an issue when the track / tyres are cooler.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Norris is having a good drive today.

Hoping Leclerc comes in to the pits soon and attacks for the last 20 laps with fresh tyres.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Another crap strategy call from Ferrari for Leclerc.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Awful from Ferrari. Compromised a podium for Leclerc just to ensure he didn't finish ahead of Vettel and as a result got 3rd and 5th instead of 3rd and 4th.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:00 pm
PTAO? wrote:
If you're in Austin than head to a County Line BBQ place.
I'll check one out!

Any recommendations on areas to stay? Looking to Air BnB as hotels prices are through the roof for the weekend.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am

Only watched the race late last night, who is this new Merc driver and what have they done with Bottas?!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Reading through some quotes from Hamilton and it seems Mercedes have told both drivers unequivocally that they are allowed to race but must consider the constructors title first and foremost.

Seems to stem from Hamilton saying he wouldn't give up a place again to Bottas after seemingly backing off a tad in Baku at the start.

Hamilton also claimed the individual dynamic of the two racing each other has been cleared up which could infer team orders but to me implies that both sides of the garage work together; unlike when Rosberg was his team mate in the final season.

Push hard, drive fair and punish Ferrari and then when the constructors is all but wrapped up we can let you drive as you want.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon May 13, 2019 7:32 am

Only saw the race last night, pretty boring (again). Yet another Mercedes 1-2 and very little for fans to get excited about. Not Mercedes fault of course, the competition just aren’t good enough and the rate Ferrari are going it will be another decade before they win a title again.

Yesterday’s race I almost switched off after the first lap as it was so obvious what the result was going to be as soon as Hamilton jumped Bottas from the start.

What followed was 66 laps of engine management (bore), tyre management (bore) and some DRS assisted overtakes. This whole fuel management and having three engines a season is utter bollocks too. F1 is in trouble, having an exciting race is the exception rather than the rule now, and has been for some time.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Zandvoort announced as a circuit for next year which means the return of the Dutch Grand Prix amongst the dunes.

Hopefully the camber on Tarzan isn't bulldozed!