2018/19 Season Review

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

2018/19 Season Review

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am

Season Review
Second season back in the premier league after relegation was always going to be a tough one, it started badly without a win until November but then we went unbeaten that month. The rest of the season until the end of January seen us once again battle to losses and the one win against Huddersfield along the way, within that time we went out of the League Cup to Forest. A small FA Cup run was halted by Watford after we needed a replay to beat Blackburn which I think was a slight turning point in the season as Some much-needed wins followed in this time including the 2-1 win over Man City.
The real turning point was the signing of Miguel Almiron who vitalised Rondon and Perez. I think the turnaround against Everton was a big show of this. The last-minute equaliser against Bournemouth was a key one, two slightly frustrating losses to Arsenal and Palace followed. Then the next few games became the Ayoze Perez show as he scored 5 in 3 games to see us to safety. Obviously, the big thing going forward is how we build from here and if Rafa will be in charge next season.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: 2018/19 Season Review

Player Review
Goalkeepers
Martin Dubravka: last season’s loan deal was made permanent for €4m which I think was a bargain. Has played in every league game this season, has had his mistakes but I still think he kept us in more games than he lost us.
Verdict: 7/10
Karl Darlow: injury hampered him this season only actually played in one game which was the league cup defeat to Forest. I still think he is an able backup keeper if needed but I think if we received a decent enough bid for him in the summer he might leave.
Verdict: 4/10

Freddie Woodman: The young man played in the FA Cup, was a little bullied during his first game but he will learn from it, I’d still like to see him go out on loan next season, tbh I think he would have had Rob Elliot not been injured for what seems like forever.
Verdict: 5/10

Rob Elliot: Not even sure why I’m including him as he didn’t kick a ball in anger this season due to what I’m told a niggling shoulder and back injuries. I still think if Darlow and Woodman were to leave I’d keep him around for backup as he has shown he is capable.
Verdict: n/a

Defenders
Jamal Lascelles: hasn’t had the best season this year but still his leadership in the dressing room and on the pitch has been vital. I think he is getting used to his role in the 3 but needs to improve his concentration for next season.
Verdict: 6/10

Fabian Schar: Our permanent signing of the season (Rondon has been signing of season for me), took a bit of time to get used to England but once we moved to the back 3 he has slotted in brilliantly on the right hand side, can pick a pass and dangerous going forward as shown in his goal of the season against Burnley and his two against Cardiff.
Verdict: 9/10

Florian Lejuene : our season turned when he came back in I feel like Schar he fitted in perfectly in that back 3, great range of passing and cool under pressure, hopefully comes back from his latest injury the same player.

Federico Fernandez: Some questioned his signing, but he quickly became a fan favourite due to his determination, injury and the form of the above 3 has kept him out the last while.

Ciaran Clark: A bit part player only playing 14 times though injuries have played there part too, always the professional and good cover for the left back slot if needed. Though I think he falls into the category of sell if we get a decent fee for him as he fourth/fifth choice defender now.

Paul Dummett: Despite his ridiculous hair I think Paul has had a decent season, never really first choice but has adapted well in recent few to cover for Lejuene on the left-hand side of defence a position I think suits him better then left wing back.

DeAndre Yedlin: I think we all know what he brings to the team is he our best option at right wing back? Yes. But is he a liability at times? Yes. Would you rather him then Manquillo? Yes. I think he is a player who plays every game with the same intensity and you can’t fault him for that he always gives his all, he just isn’t a great defender, Right wing back is probably the best position for him tbh as he can use his main attribute to help the team which is his pace. Should we be looking for an upgrade in the summer? Yes

Javi Manquillo: Tbh I think he has had a better season this then he did last year but I still shudder when I see his name in the starting XI or see him come on, As I mentioned with Yedlin if an upgrade is brought in a right wing back then he may be the 3rd wheel and may go.

Matt Ritchie: I’m going to include Matt in the defenders’ section as I think he has done a great job at left back, do we need to bring in an actual left wing back? Yes. There was talk of him leaving tbh I’d be sad to see him go but if he funded a decent younger replacement then thanks for your service Matt.

Antonio Barreca: who?
Verdict: n/a

Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu May 09, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Player Review
Midfielders
Ki Sung Yueng- Came in on a free from Swansea, was a good signing for me, experience of the premier league and his set pieces earned us points at times. Had his time out with injury and Asia cup, but has played his part in the midfield this season.
Jonjo Shelvey: Not the best seasons for Jonjo, be it form or injury he hasn’t looked the same player this year though we have seen glimpses of what he can do just not enough. It will be an interesting summer for him another I put into the if we got a decent fee for him then I’d wish him the best.
Verdict: 4/10
Mohamed Diame: Injury has played its part again with his season and towards the end his contract stipulations did too. Always been hot and cold but played his part this season with his ball winning skills and his effort. I’ll be sad to see him go but given he’ll be 32 in the summer a younger replacement will be brought in.
Isaac Hayden: Tireless and professional is the best way I can describe him, his desire to leave for personal reasons has been well documented but he never once let that affect his performance on the pitch. I think he will leave in the summer and best of look to him.

Sean Longstaff: Sean was given his chance during a midfield injury crisis and took his chance brilliantly so much that there was calls for him to called up to England. Unfortunately injured eventually finished his season, hopefully he comes back with the same vigour and determination next season.
Kenedy: Did we sign his twin brother this season? Not the same player who we brought in last year. Has rightfully been dropped from the squad all together in the last few weeks. Back to Chelsea with him as he is nowhere worth the €30m fee they want for him.
Verdict: 2/10
Christian Atsu: One who I think gets some unnecessary criticism, I think if you look back at his season though you have to appreciate his effort and willingness. Even played in centre mid at times before Longstaff claimed it for his own. He is obviously a player Rafa likes as he is usually his go to sub.
Miguel Almiron: January signing and our new record signing, he transformed our attack when came in, linking up brilliantly with Rondon and Perez, unfortunate to get injured as I think he was getting closer to that elusive first goal. I look forward to seeing him back next season hopefully continuing his partnership with the other 2 Amigos
Verdict: 8/10

Forwards
Ayoze Perez: I could have included him in the midfield but have put him in the forward section, 11 goals this season make him our top scorer his link up play with Rondon and Miggy has been brilliant. Has his critics but I think he is just behind Rondon in player of the season for me
Verdict: 9/10
Salomon Rondon: Sign this lad up, is all I will say, I’m hoping that West Brom don’t go so we can pay 16.5m (which we should have last). Player of the season by a long way his goals his assists seriously as stated if we don’t go out and sign this lad permanently then we’d be paying a lot more to replace him. Key to how we play.
Verdict: 10/10
Joselu: Poor Joselu has his critics but I think he is just doing the best he can, obviously is at the level we want but his effort can’t be faulted. Will most likely be sold come the summer
Yoshinoro Muto: It’s been a difficult first season for him, has struggled with injuries and his level of English keeping him out at times. He’ll come good though I feel, once he clicks with what Rafa wants from him.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu May 09, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 am

What is needed?
I may have already covered this in another thread but here I go again. Keeping Rafa is number 1. Getting in Rondon is another after that it all depends on who leaves

Left Wing backs: left wing back is the priority, I have seen Loris Benito linked on a free transfer. I think he’d be an OK signing, but I wouldn’t think he’d be first choice. One player who’d id be interested in would be Luke Shaw, he may be part of the Man Utd exodus in the summer, depending on the fee I think he’d be a good bit of business perhaps on loan with an option to buy, at 23 he is young and if he can stay injury free I think he could rebuild some of his early promise.

Right Wing Backs: I think if Rafa stays he will look to bring in someone to replace Yedlin as first choice, someone like Clyne on loan at Bournemouth would be on my lf again a reasonable fee could be negotiated though I think Bournemouth may have first option. De Sciglio from Juventus was linked before too he’d be another interesting one, I’d be keeping a close eye on the French League though too if AS Monaco were to drop Benjamin Heinrichs would be one I’d make a target given he can both sides if needs be, though would demand a large fee.

Centre Defence: This one will depend on outgoings I think if Clark goes then someone to come in to replace him will be needed. Again people may question this but I think we should look to the Man U exodus here, someone like Phil Jones or Chris Smalling would do well at our level and will bring some experience too. Though his wages may be an issue David Luiz is out of contract and had a good relationship with Rafa could he be tempted??

Centre Mid: New blood will be brought in here given Diame and Hayden will leave. Perhaps if Rafa stays he’ll pull another Mikel Merino signing out of the bag, other then that no one I’ve seen linked would fill me with much optimism.

Wing: It is somewhere Rafa wanted improvement on and he got Almiron, I still think he wants more, Rafa Silva from Benfica has been linked I think he’d be a cracking signing can it happen?

CF: Rondon is obviously priority number 1, outside of here again I haven’t seen anyone linked who fill me with much confidence.

A few interesting out of contracts
• Balotelli- Doubt he’d want to come and doubt he’d be the type of player Rafa (if he stays) would want but would he improve our team. Yes
• Danny Welbeck – Has been linked and I do think if he stayed fit he could do a decent job and his ability to play on the wing would come in handy too. One to keep an eye on.
• Andy Carroll- not the same player we sold but I think if he stayed fit could still do a job, unlikely though
• Josip Drmic- The Swiss international is another who has had his injury and form issues but perhaps a new setting could do him well.
• Hector Herrera- the Mexican has been linked in the past at 29 he wouldn’t be a long-term contract but can fill the gap left by Diame.
• Nemanja Radoja- there is some confusion over this guy, Villa wanted him, but he appears to have agreed a move to Real Betis though nothing is 100% could be an interesting one, only 26 and has expressed an interest in moving to England.
• Ricardo Van Rhijn- Might be an option for right wing back, highly thought of in his younger years at 27 he does have a few years left in him.
• Andres Pereira- He is one I’m sure has an option to extend but if he’s let leave then he’d be one I’d be going for.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am

Nice - will give this a proper response later on when I have time <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 pm

In terms of your signing wish list, Shaw is very unrealistic. He’s playing regularly for Man U now and there’s no way at all we’d pay his six figure wages. Wouldn’t touch Jones or Smalling with a barge pole, and their wages would be a massive issue (and a waste of our funds IMO). I’d also so Luiz is pie in the sky for numerous reasons! So long as we keep Lascelles, Schar, Lejeune, Fernandez and Dummett I’m very happy with our CBs.

Wingbacks and midfielders are a big area of concern and we really need to add quality in both areas.

In terms of player performances this season, the standouts for me are Lejeune (when he played), Schar, Longstaff, Rondon, Hayden and Perez (at times). Lots of players also around the 6-7/10 mark. Tbf I don’t think any of our regular players have been completely s****, other than Joselu. Everyone has contributed at times. Even Manquillo lately has done alright.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 pm
In terms of your signing wish list, Shaw is very unrealistic. He’s playing regularly for Man U now and there’s no way at all we’d pay his six figure wages. Wouldn’t touch Jones or Smalling with a barge pole, and their wages would be a massive issue (and a waste of our funds IMO). I’d also so Luiz is pie in the sky for numerous reasons! So long as we keep Lascelles, Schar, Lejeune, Fernandez and Dummett I’m very happy with our CBs.

Wingbacks and midfielders are a big area of concern and we really need to add quality in both areas.

In terms of player performances this season, the standouts for me are Lejeune (when he played), Schar, Longstaff, Rondon, Hayden and Perez (at times). Lots of players also around the 6-7/10 mark. Tbf I don’t think any of our regular players have been completely s****, other than Joselu. Everyone has contributed at times. Even Manquillo lately has done alright.
This sums it up for me nicely. On the signings list there's a couple interesting options which I'll take,

Welbeck - When fit and on confidence he can be a handful with his pace and physicality, as mentioned too can be used centrally or out wide so would be useful to have as competition / on the bench for any of our current front three (Miggy Perez Rondon). Has good Premier League experience and seems like a good lad to have around in the dressing room.

Baloteli - Same as above, when he's on it can be a handful. Coming towards his peak years too so would take a punt on him IF wages are reasonable enough.

Carroll - Fairy tale comeback? I wish so but don't see it happening, wages too high and very injury prone will be lucky to get 20 games out of him in a season.

Hector Herrera - A tad unrealistic when he's been linked to Champions League teams such as PSG and Atletico Madrid. Would be a cracking signing though. A very good box-to-box midfielder.

Ricardo Van Rhijn- - Would be a good option on the RWB role. Technically adept and pacey when I saw him play at Ajax.

Andres Pereira- - This would be our type of signing. He's under 25, full of potential and potentially big profit can be made in the future from him if he lives up to his potential but he's been in and out of United's side so I don't know what plans united have for him next season but if he decides to leave due to wanting more regular first team football then I'll happily take him. Would be a improvement on what we currently have. Has a wicked long shot on him, good passing range, mobile and dynamic. Weren't we linked with him last season to take him on loan anyway?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun May 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Top post <ok>

I reckon we need a Striker (Rondon), two full backs and two central mids, then after that another attacking mid/forward would be good

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 pm

August.

May.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sun May 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Love that Rafa gif