Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Nobbys Trumpet wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:53 pm
I rate him. This might be unpopular what I’m about to say, but, I think he works too hard off the ball. I love the fact he closes down the opposition defenders down but for me, he does it too much. He always seems knackered by 60mins and when chasing generally a lost cause half the time it takes that extra yard of pace away when you need it the most.

It must be hard for him being by himself up top all the time. He gets hardly any support and still manages to do a good job.

Probably the best we can ask for in the Summer if the takeover hasn’t happened.
I can't say whether he does it "too much" or not, but it is a bit perplexing considering it isn't as if the team plays heavy pressing tactics, so putting too much individual effort into that without an overall high pressing approach is maybe a bit of a waste.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Correct. Perez gets stick for not constantly chasing centre halves, but given we don't press making him chase shadows as defenders just pass the ball around him is hardly the best use for our number 10.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Correct. Perez gets stick for not constantly chasing centre halves, but given we don't press making him chase shadows as defenders just pass the ball around him is hardly the best use for our number 10.
I'll take it step further and say defensive ability/effort of strikers and CAMs is overrated in general. Unless you actually play a cohesive pressing system, or a player is legitimately irresponsible marking on set pieces and or takes a lot of fouls in dangerous locations, the amount of value a forward can provide on defense is substantially outweighed by the value they offer by scoring/creating. Which is partly why I get annoyed when people suggest Rafa's attacking player selection comes down to their defending - 1) I don't think that was ever it, 2) but if it were, then I think maybe he should change his priorities.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:29 pm

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 pm

my dude can't be stopped, exquisite run + ball control + goal in 5 minutes vs Argentina right now

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:12 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 pm
my dude can't be stopped, exquisite run + ball control + goal in 5 minutes vs Argentina right now
Yeah Venezuela were great! <diva>

We should snap up Murillo and Martinez look like balers. Pacey, skillful and under 26.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Newcastle's Player of the Year, so I guess he did pretty good <awe>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Dwight Gayle won WBA player of the year so we might as well just swap!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm
If they don't go up we should definitely be bringing it to the negotiating table
I'll Hazard a guess

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm
If they don't go up we should definitely be bringing it to the negotiating table
This. Straight swap. But if WBA don't go up then Gayle might want another crack in the Premier League with us? It'll be interesting to see because in our current system I'll take Rondon over Gayle but Gayle's partnership with Perez back towards the end of the 2017-2018 season was fantastic. Pacey, hard-working and mobile, but we just didn't have a aerial / physical presence to hold the ball up so that's where Rondon comes into play. Would be amazing if we signed Rondon AND kept Gayle, we would have some strength in depth with them two plus Miggy and Perez. Send them 16 mil + Joselu + Manquillo <whistle>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm

This. Straight swap. But if WBA don't go up then Gayle might want another crack in the Premier League with us? It'll be interesting to see because in our current system I'll take Rondon over Gayle but Gayle's partnership with Perez back towards the end of the 2017-2018 season was fantastic. Pacey, hard-working and mobile, but we just didn't have a aerial / physical presence to hold the ball up so that's where Rondon comes into play. Would be amazing if we signed Rondon AND kept Gayle, we would have some strength in depth with them two plus Miggy and Perez. Send them 16 mil + Joselu + Manquillo <whistle>
That seems needlessly cruel. Can't we just send them the 16m?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Sun May 12, 2019 1:23 pm

CIH wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am

That seems needlessly cruel. Can't we just send them the 16m?
I don't mind manquillo so much towards the end of the season, but him and Yedlin should be trained as straight up wingers and we get actual defensive minded rightbacks/wingbacks and they'd be more useful IMO

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

I've had enough of wingers who can't score, I really don't want to transition more into that role. I understand preferring more defense minded wingbacks, except our overall setup and tactics really require everyone being able to contribute at least a little to attacking play. Frankly, even though CB is our biggest area of strength, I thought it was a lot of individual errors from CBs that actually cost us goals this season - even though I realize people feel most vulnerable when it comes to the play of our wingbacks/fullbacks.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Either way if we're going to persist with this formation the idea that we'd play Manquillo and Yedlin in advanced roles is terrifying...

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm
Either way if we're going to persist with this formation the idea that we'd play Manquillo and Yedlin in advanced roles is terrifying...
neither one of them can really cross a good ball into the box so it really limits their effectiveness in the WB role. I'm not asking for Ritchie-like crosses from either of them, but something closer to it than what they're able to provide.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 13, 2019 6:08 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Colly wrote:
neither one of them can really cross a good ball into the box so it really limits their effectiveness in the WB role. I'm not asking for Ritchie-like crosses from either of them, but something closer to it than what they're able to provide.
Completely agree. I think they've been a bit unfairly criticized, and done better than given credit for (though that's a low bar to clear), but I've been advocating for better fullbacks for years now, and still feel it's the position of greatest need.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Colly wrote:
This. Two proper wing-backs who have attacking prowess should be essential, especially in a wing-back position in this current set-up were you will get a lot of chances to cross it in, pass, shoot and have loads of space. A Matt Doherty style player is what we need, someone who's powerful, fast, strong, chip in with goals and assists.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 pm

well WBA will be staying in the Championship after losing in PKs to Villa so Rondon's price tag should be confirmed at 16.5 million.