Man City referred to Uefa financial body

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Man City referred to Uefa financial body

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 am

No great surprise, also under investigation over the signing of youth team players. Will a one season CL ban really be that much of a punishment for a team like City?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Man City referred to Uefa financial body

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm

It seems City get targeted a lot more than other rich teams that seem to break financial rules

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm
It seems City get targeted a lot more than other rich teams that seem to break financial rules
Barcelona have been punished in the past with transfer bans.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu May 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Barcelona have been punished in the past with transfer bans.
Isn’t this the second time Man City have been punished though? Assuming they do get punished that is. Admittedly I don’t know enough to comment but it can’t be only City breaking these rules with the amount of clubs seemingly following the same sort of formula as them

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

I think we just hear more about City, but I'm pretty sure the Milan clubs have been grilled about it, and PSG too. Obviously it rarely ever comes to anything - but I don't think it's a case of City getting overtargetted relative to other big money clubs.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm
I think we just hear more about City, but I'm pretty sure the Milan clubs have been grilled about it, and PSG too. Obviously it rarely ever comes to anything - but I don't think it's a case of City getting overtargetted relative to other big money clubs.
Chelsea have obviously just been punished too (for transfers of young players rather than FFP, but still shows it's not a Man C vendetta). I think it's only a matter of time until someone like PSG are fingered.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:54 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Chelsea have obviously just been punished too (for transfers of young players rather than FFP, but still shows it's not a Man C vendetta). I think it's only a matter of time until someone like PSG are fingered.
Absolutely. I think what also puts clubs like Chelsea and City at higher risk is that it's not simply spending too much, but all of their schemes when it comes to acquiring youth talent, owning/arrangements with multiple clubs, etc. There are a lot of ways for them to slip up and get into trouble.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am

Essentially this all stems from 'rushing' club growth. I reckon City are probably actually not a million miles ahead in terms of NUFC's revenue streams...that 10 year £100m Etihad 'sponsorship' that they got should be scrutinised too. FFP is a hamfisted approach at stopping overspending yes, but I'd rather we tried than letting teams like Chelsea and City do what they do.

Scott Kirkland
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Scott Kirkland » Sat May 18, 2019 5:59 pm

The other big boys hate city's progress,
If a owner wants to waste a shitload of money on a team, It's upto them.
City's Etihad deal is just playing the system,
Real Madrid, And Barca say they are supporter owned but Madrid, Barcelona city and pumps a lot of cash into them
If any deal should be looked at then, S.D deal with Nufc should be top of the list.
Also Mash holdings should be investigated,

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Are you suggesting that we're spending enough to contravene FFP rules? That's one of the more absurd accusations I've ever heard against Big Mike.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Would rather have the ability/hope to spend big than have the old guard in charge.

FFP in it's current guise is just an attempt to establish a sort of franchise football in which no one can challenge.

If you want actual fair play you'd establish a realistic wage cap.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Would rather have the ability/hope to spend big than have the old guard in charge.

FFP in it's current guise is just an attempt to establish a sort of franchise football in which no one can challenge.

Agree about the wage cap, I would put good money on every single player in the PL going on strike if one was ever introduced such is the greed in football now. Footballers always come out with bollocks about needing to earn money for their families future as its a short career, but if you made say £50k a week for 10 years that’s still £26m so even after tax etc (and all the other image deals they’d have on top of that) that neither they nor their children would ever have to worry about money. And that’s just being super conservative, any wage cap would be much higher than that.

For some reason footballers in the top flight think they’ve got some divine right to earn £100k, £200k+ a week, and it’s only getting worse as it’s all the generations or players coming through now have ever known. Since the early 2000s boom the whole thing has gotten out of control. If players were told that if they took a 5% pay cut which meant fans would save 50% on season ticket prices there’s no way they’d do it. Or if wages were capped and more money trickled down to the lower leagues to help smaller clubs they’d also refuse, the whole system is bollocks.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Agree about the wage cap, I would put good money on every single player in the PL going on strike if one was ever introduced such is the greed in football now. Footballers always come out with bollocks about needing to earn money for their families future as its a short career, but if you made say £50k a week for 10 years that’s still £26m so even after tax etc (and all the other image deals they’d have on top of that) that neither they nor their children would ever have to worry about money. And that’s just being super conservative, any wage cap would be much higher than that.

For some reason footballers in the top flight think they’ve got some divine right to earn £100k, £200k+ a week, and it’s only getting worse as it’s all the generations or players coming through now have ever known. Since the early 2000s boom the whole thing has gotten out of control. If players were told that if they took a 5% pay cut which meant fans would save 50% on season ticket prices there’s no way they’d do it. Or if wages were capped and more money trickled down to the lower leagues to help smaller clubs they’d also refuse, the whole system is bollocks.
I genuinely don't believe that it's the players demanding the outrageous wages, more the agents and companies they work for.

Also a general wage cap stops the current top clubs keeping a grip on their monopoly and allows smaller clubs to have a reasonable amount of investment to reach the top level.

You need a wage cap unrelated to income or crowd size or history or anything really, one that allows clubs to grow, keeps competition fair and protects players livelihoods.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

Kompany leaving City, new £100m CB incoming no doubt.

Re: Kompany, bit of a surprise!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

Do they need one? Otamendi, Laporte, Stones. Need a fourth choice but not necessarily a superstar. Although they do spend money they haven't spent mega mega levels yet. Mahrez for 60m still their record. Which is absurd on its own, but for different reasons. I'm surprised clubs aren't being heavily linked to Alderweirald for 25m, excellent defender.

As for Company, great player and lead City into this golden age of riches. 360 appearances doesn't seem like a lot in 11 years, but I suppose that highlights the injury issues he's had. Hasn't featured as much as you'd expect even when fit last few years either. PSG payday on the horizon?

Edit: Been confirmed as Anderlecht player manager. Don't see enough of them these days, fair play.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun May 19, 2019 10:37 am

CIH wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

Do they need one? Otamendi, Laporte, Stones. Need a fourth choice but not necessarily a superstar. Although they do spend money they haven't spent mega mega levels yet. Mahrez for 60m still their record. Which is absurd on its own, but for different reasons. I'm surprised clubs aren't being heavily linked to Alderweirald for 25m, excellent defender.

As for Company, great player and lead City into this golden age of riches. 360 appearances doesn't seem like a lot in 11 years, but I suppose that highlights the injury issues he's had. Hasn't featured as much as you'd expect even when fit last few years either. PSG payday on the horizon?

Edit: Been confirmed as Anderlecht player manager. Don't see enough of them these days, fair play.
Pep does like to rotate CBs, I think he’ll want 4 star CBs rather than have 3 first teamers and a backup. They’ll go for someone like De Ligt who will cost a bomb. Alderweirald would be a decent option tho.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:37 am
CIH wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

Pep does like to rotate CBs, I think he’ll want 4 star CBs rather than have 3 first teamers and a backup. They’ll go for someone like De Ligt who will cost a bomb. Alderweirald would be a decent option tho.
Going to be interesting to see where De Lijt ends up, Barca the heavy favourite, but pretty much every club with money is after him. Easy to see why, captain of Ajax at such a young age and clearly a capable defender. If Liverpool get him in, partnered with Van Dijk, could be a great partnership for years.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm

I genuinely don't believe that it's the players demanding the outrageous wages, more the agents and companies they work for.

Also a general wage cap stops the current top clubs keeping a grip on their monopoly and allows smaller clubs to have a reasonable amount of investment to reach the top level.

You need a wage cap unrelated to income or crowd size or history or anything really, one that allows clubs to grow, keeps competition fair and protects players livelihoods.
The unfortunate reality is that sports/leagues with salary caps have parity as a key component of the league's values - or at least they like to project that to fans so they feel everyone has a chance for championships. That's extra necessary because they want to maintain franchise values and profiting from controlling access to the leagues comes at a price. It also means drafts, limits on international free agent signings, revenue sharing, etc. Problem is, football as a sport has no interest in suggesting that every team has an equal chance, they love promoting the big clubs too much and the big clubs wouldn't dare share their revenue with the smaller ones.

As for player wages and salary caps, the benefit of collective bargaining agreements is that you can set the league salary cap based on a set percentage of profits, so that way it's based on players getting their share of the profits from the product they create (and I'd rather they make the money than billionaires). That said, I blame owners more than players, because they haven't done anything to manage the value of the assets (players), instead owners have worked against their best interests for years by bidding up the price of players to astronomical levels.