Game of Thrones

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Chappy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 am

f***ing s****. Benioff and Weiss can suck a dick.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 pm
SpoilerShow
She hasn't just gone mad out of nowhere. Lost two of her dragons, all of her friends, trusted advisers have betrayed her, no one in Westoros likes her, just found out her lover is her nephew and he's betrayed her too. She'd have burned down cities before if not for her advisers.

It's not Targareyn madness so much as grief.
SpoilerShow
I get why but it escalated very quickly. I agree with others, she should have just gone straight for the keep and destroyed it. That would have been more satisfying. However, as I said they can only be leading to a Jon vs Dani battle now. I presume he is immune to fire being a Targareyn too?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm

SpoilerShow
I actually thought that was the best episode of the season so far. The others have either been pointless or, in the battle episode, completely a massive letdown. Dani going mental so quickly was to add some shock factor to it despite the fact it had been building for ages.

Clegane battle was good, especially with him jumping into fire, his biggest fear, as a show of his bravery.

Cersei’s death was a massive letdown I thought. Jamie 100% should have killed her. And him going back to her really f***ed his character arc in a pretty indefensible way.

For me the formatting of the final season has been where they f***ed up. They should have condensed the 8 episodes prior to the white walker battle into 6 episodes and then started this season with that battle, allowing more development towards Dani’s switch etc. There’s also the issue that GOT isn’t exactly laden with themes and so it’s hard to tie up the series with an ending that reflects the previous 7 seasons. How do you tie up a series where the main theme is “people who want power shouldn’t have it”? It’s a pretty obvious and simple thing to tie up imo

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed May 15, 2019 4:35 pm

SpoilerShow
That really was immense. Dany never knew about the scorpions when she attacked with both dragons, it caught her off guard. This time she was prepared so started from a higher point and used the sun to her advantage. Pretty simple really. She's been mad for seasons now. She's threatened Tyrion with death numerous times just for making bad decisions. She's been getting crazier and crazier since the whole thing started.

I can't understand how people are questioning the writing. There are issues with continuity which shouldn't have happened but the characters and stories have been brilliant. Lots of references to early seasons too yet again.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm
SpoilerShow
Cersei’s death was a massive letdown I thought. Jamie 100% should have killed her. And him going back to her really f***ed his character arc in a pretty indefensible way.
SpoilerShow
It completed his character arc perfectly. In the very first episode he said 'The things we do for love' and it summed it up. He went full circle from Kingslayer to a good, honourable man and yet still his love for Cersei was his weakness. He went North because of his new found honour yet returned to protect the one he loved.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm

SpoilerShow
There wasn't really a first attack with the dragons, she was on her way home to Dragonstone when they got attacked. It annoyed me because after the first one was shot down it should have been easy to round on them and basically do what she did in Kings Landing.

Yes there were signals all was not well with Dani. But they could have pushed it a bit I think in earlier episodes or even better, done something to make her snap. Missandei's head on a spear at the cities gate for example to suddenly break her mind

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
It completed his character arc perfectly. In the very first episode he said 'The things we do for love' and it summed it up. He went full circle from Kingslayer to a good, honourable man and yet still his love for Cersei was his weakness. He went North because of his new found honour yet returned to protect the one he loved.
SpoilerShow
I understand the fact that love is what became his undoing, but I don’t think it was justified enough. His literal entire arc has been him becoming a better more honourable man, culminating in him sleeping with Brienne - there’s not been any indication that he’d go back on it and it’s not even relevant for him to. Then, after Cersei sends Bronn to kill him, he suddenly decides that he loves her again, without any sort of stimulation - it’s not like he saw her in that moment and realised his love for her. It came totally out of nowhere

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm
ALF wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 pm

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I understand the fact that love is what became his undoing, but I don’t think it was justified enough. His literal entire arc has been him becoming a better more honourable man, culminating in him sleeping with Brienne - there’s not been any indication that he’d go back on it and it’s not even relevant for him to. Then, after Cersei sends Bronn to kill him, he suddenly decides that he loves her again, without any sort of stimulation - it’s not like he saw her in that moment and realised his love for her. It came totally out of nowhere
SpoilerShow
He's always loved her, she was carrying his baby. He showed he was still the honourable man he became when he stuck to his word to fight for the living. Then everyone turned to march on the woman he'd always loved and he left.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 pm

SpoilerShow
Watching this for a second time I think the signs are there that Dani has gone mental. The little girl at the start indicates Dani hasn't been eating at all, then Varys says to Jon on the beach that she hasn't seen anyone or eaten for days. This kind of passed me by first time

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 pm

SpoilerShow
I still don't understand why Dani didn't fly straight to the castle and obliterate it mind you rather than burning all the people alive

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 pm
SpoilerShow
I still don't understand why Dani didn't fly straight to the castle and obliterate it mind you rather than burning all the people alive
SpoilerShow
This. At the very least start with the castle then move onto the innocents.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat May 18, 2019 12:02 pm

TBC wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am
Micky Quim wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 pm
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
This. At the very least start with the castle then move onto the innocents.
SpoilerShow
I thought the bit where she said they think our mercy is our weakness was down to why she did it the way she did in her state of mind. It also sends a message to people who are with her that in her mind she thinks will betray her.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 am

SpoilerShow
I definitely did not wait 8 years for that.

Dani’s death was almost an after thought of the episode, Jon does what everyone wants him to do and gets banished for it and Bran decides he’s actually Bran again (after turning down Warden of the North) now that a better opportunity comes along?!

Let’s not miss the North getting their independence back and not one other kingdom being bothered/wanting the same.

Big cheer for Tormund being the only true friend to Jon.

s***. Sums up a s*** season.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon May 20, 2019 2:22 pm

TBC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 am
SpoilerShow
I definitely did not wait 8 years for that.

Dani’s death was almost an after thought of the episode, Jon does what everyone wants him to do and gets banished for it and Bran decides he’s actually Bran again (after turning down Warden of the North) now that a better opportunity comes along?!

Let’s not miss the North getting their independence back and not one other kingdom being bothered/wanting the same.

Big cheer for Tormund being the only true friend to Jon.

s***. Sums up a s*** season.
SpoilerShow
Everything felt rushed and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement. I just wished they'd waited for Martin to finish it but i can't blame them for not waiting it could have been years before he finished them. It'll go down as a what might have been series for me which is a shame.At least we'll have the books to put a fitting end to it.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon May 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Martin wanted a s*** end so that people still buy his book

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 pm

SpoilerShow
Whole point of the series is that nothing has changed, the cycle continues. Only disappointment for me is lack of explanation for the walkers but I think they've been hamstrung this season due to upcoming prequels.

Ok as a last episode but not the blowout I was expecting

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm

SpoilerShow
also as I've said before the ride was always going ti be better than the ending in a series like this.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

I think that was a rushed season.. But ultimately the books might also have a disappointing end. A story build on complexity and moral greyness had to reduce to good versus evil and lost vitality.

I think with time people will mellow and remem Er how good a show it has been. I've watched a few old seasons episodes and man its good
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm
I think that was a rushed season.. But ultimately the books might also have a disappointing end. A story build on complexity and moral greyness had to reduce to good versus evil and lost vitality.

I think with time people will mellow and remem Er how good a show it has been. I've watched a few old seasons episodes and man its good
The books will either be amazing because Martin has been holding off on his ending to go against what people hated on TV or they will be exactly the same for the same reasons people are meh in the show I.e. it's hard to keep the 'charm' and excitement the deeper you get

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

The books will either be amazing because Martin has been holding off on his ending to go against what people hated on TV or they will be exactly the same for the same reasons people are meh in the show I.e. it's hard to keep the 'charm' and excitement the deeper you get
Yeah I agree. Maune they'll be helped by being about not what happens but inner monologues.

My favourite chapters are the cersie pov ones and seeing what she's thinking through all the stuff to come could be great. And dany chapters might explain her stuff more.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012