Summer 2019 takeover saga

Infatuation junkie
Tindall's Hoody

Re: Ashley Agrees to Sell Newcastle for £350m!

Post by Infatuation junkie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm

I have Midhat Kidwais number in whatsapp if anyone wants to ask the guy whats going on.

True story

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm

MislandMagpie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 am
Hjl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 am

Hope so. At least it seems like an honest attempt to sell the club this time.
I'd say it seems more like an honest attempt to buy the club. But I wouldnt put it past Mike Ashley to put so many conditions in there.

I'm a cynic but when it was declared they had agreed a price, I can believe that. Ashley says he would sell for say £350mil.
Price is agreed.

Then as they get into negotiations, Ashley puts in clauses that either make the club an unattractive prospect to buy, or if they do actually accept them makes him a lot of money.

Could easily see him holding out for a guarantee that Sports Direct get free advertising for X number of years, or that he gets a percentage of transfer fees received from players signed under his tenure.

I just dont believe the man is in any rush to sell the club. If its making him a tidy profit and he doesn't need that lump sum, why would he be?
I think it can be debated what counts as a "tidy profit", or at least, getting a few million out each year is nothing compared to what he could instead make should get get 350m out now and reinvest it into something more profitable.

I can believe he's stubbornly negotiating for some dumb things in the contract, but if he really cares about making money, he'll get the price he wants and walk away to other business ventures more profitable than football club ownership.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 pm

My biggest concern with this is the way Ashley conducts his business, he's enough of a cronut to insist on Sports Directs being still embedded in some way with the club, I honestly believe what we know is only the tip of the iceberg, I fear a takeover will reveal a lot of shady deals that benefits his other companies more than we'd be comfortable with.

I'm not savvy with the legal ins and outs but could he technically have signed up sports direct to say a 10 - 20 year advertising contract or something similar with merchandise, something potential new owners would have to buy out or see out?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Not exactly an update:

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 pm

For the third week in a row, should we get excited (and ultimately disappointed) for a friday announcement? <diva>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Midland Magpie

Post by Midland Magpie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 pm
My biggest concern with this is the way Ashley conducts his business, he's enough of a cronut to insist on Sports Directs being still embedded in some way with the club, I honestly believe what we know is only the tip of the iceberg, I fear a takeover will reveal a lot of shady deals that benefits his other companies more than we'd be comfortable with.

I'm not savvy with the legal ins and outs but could he technically have signed up sports direct to say a 10 - 20 year advertising contract or something similar with merchandise, something potential new owners would have to buy out or see out?
This is my point.
Ashley is not losing money on NUFC. He might be making relatively little (in his terms) but if he sells the club, the amount he would have to pay to get the level of publicity he has now for SportsDirect is huge. He wont sign that off easily.

Agreeing a sale price is easy. The Arabs have agreed that. But the small print could derail it easily.

Also, the question has to be asked, "Why are the arabs interested in us?". They believe there is money to be made (and their potentially is) but if MA puts clauses in and the money isn't there, and the expenditure they expected to spend goes up and up.....
Theyll be off. I have no doubt.

I dont doubt their desire to buy, but as always I doubt Ashley's desire to sell. He has no reason to.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Midland Magpie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

This is my point.
Ashley is not losing money on NUFC. He might be making relatively little (in his terms) but if he sells the club, the amount he would have to pay to get the level of publicity he has now for SportsDirect is huge. He wont sign that off easily.

Agreeing a sale price is easy. The Arabs have agreed that. But the small print could derail it easily.

Also, the question has to be asked, "Why are the arabs interested in us?". They believe there is money to be made (and their potentially is) but if MA puts clauses in and the money isn't there, and the expenditure they expected to spend goes up and up.....

I dont doubt their desire to buy, but as always I doubt Ashley's desire to sell. He has no reason to.
Ashley needs the cash to buy Jamie's Italian chain so he can get staff discount.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I can't see anything happening soon, once again we will be going into pre season with complete uncertainty, no new players, potentially no manager, complete confusion over who the owner will actually be, it's all a bit ridiculous really, seriously we are probably the most unorganised club when it comes to season preparations, for once it would be nice to get our s*** together have a proper and stable pre season and start the season without any cloud over head. It's so simple yet we can't seem to do it.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 pm
I can't see anything happening soon, once again we will be going into pre season with complete uncertainty, no new players, potentially no manager, complete confusion over who the owner will actually be, it's all a bit ridiculous really, seriously we are probably the most unorganised club when it comes to season preparations, for once it would be nice to get our s*** together have a proper and stable pre season and start the season without any cloud over head. It's so simple yet we can't seem to do it.
But just enough hope that people renew their season tickets <ok>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:52 am

Season tickets rolled over in March for those of us on direct debits.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Midland Magpie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:10 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

This is my point.

1) Can we not get into the habit of referring to them as "The Arabs".

2) I think it's an oversimplification to suggest there's money to directly be made from the club. The owners of Man City, PSG, etc. are not running net operating revenues. The clubs themselves are losing a lot of money, but they're making the strategic choice that the advertising for the UAE and Qatar is worth it. That may or may not be true (there's no way to monetise a country's brand and the impact of a football club on it). I definitely think Ashley's choice to still own the club is all about money, but for the super rich like Sheiks, I think their motivations are a little more complicated.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm

They are Arabs aren’t they ?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Infatuation junkie
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Infatuation junkie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Someone clarify.

Has he or hasnt he put them Sports Direct signs back up?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Infatuation junkie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm
Someone clarify.

It doesn't really matter, the advertising is a separate entity to ownership, so signs mean nothing, BZG could take over tomorrow and the signs could still be up weeks later, it's not exactly a priority for them in the grand scheme of things.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm
Infatuation junkie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm
Someone clarify.

It doesn't really matter, the advertising is a separate entity to ownership, so signs mean nothing, BZG could take over tomorrow and the signs could still be up weeks later, it's not exactly a priority for them in the grand scheme of things.
I suspect they'll want to increase advertising revenues, and at least longer term they'll want better partners than Sports Direct.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm

I suspect they'll want to increase advertising revenues, and at least longer term they'll want better partners than Sports Direct.
They will, but I doubt signs coming down will be an indicator of anything, you don't go through an exhaustive takeover bid then complete it and go... right first things first let's get those sports direct signs down.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 am

Toondes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm
No one seems to mind when people mention that the Glazer family are American.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:58 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm

They will, but I doubt signs coming down will be an indicator of anything, you don't go through an exhaustive takeover bid then complete it and go... right first things first let's get those sports direct signs down.
Oh I completely agree with you! Definitely not worth reading anything into the signs for a while to come. I more so meant that as a counter to people who think a new ownership group would sign away opportunities to bring in better commercial revenue partners. If you're going to spend the money to buy a football club, you won't want to get saddled with old, bad deals like that. But you're bang-on, that stuff won't be the priority.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

Hjl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 am
Toondes wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm
It's not quite the same .

The term Arab is a generic term covering people from a multitude of countries including UAE.

Why dont we simply refer to them as the Bin Zayed Group ?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

Slim999 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am
Hjl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 am

It's not quite the same .

The term Arab is a generic term covering people from a multitude of countries including UAE.

Why dont we simply refer to them as the Bin Zayed Group ?
What difference does it make , they are Arabs .
# stolen from nufc.com :)