Summer 2019 takeover saga

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Ashley Agrees to Sell Newcastle for £350m!

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am

Got to admit, there is a lot of pessimism creeping in for me now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next bit of news we hear is that BZG have walked away from a deal, I think we have genuine buyers and a genuine seller, but I'm convinced Ashley's greed is what will scupper any deal, I honestly think if they were to offer him £1b for the club tomorrow he would gladly haggle on for another 6 month to squeeze out more. He's a gambler and has an addiction to "winning money" he won't be satisfied with the alleged £350m asking price imo

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am
Slim999 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

It's not quite the same .

The term Arab is a generic term covering people from a multitude of countries including UAE.

Why dont we simply refer to them as the Bin Zayed Group ?
What difference does it make , they are Arabs .
Only speaking for myself, but there's a difference between saying someone is objectively Arabic, and repeatedly referring to them as "The Arabs", especially given the widespread discrimination against that group of people. Also, my original post wasn't to handslap saying it once, but to ask that it doesn't become a consistently used nickname.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am
Got to admit, there is a lot of pessimism creeping in for me now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next bit of news we hear is that BZG have walked away from a deal, I think we have genuine buyers and a genuine seller, but I'm convinced Ashley's greed is what will scupper any deal, I honestly think if they were to offer him £1b for the club tomorrow he would gladly haggle on for another 6 month to squeeze out more. He's a gambler and has an addiction to "winning money" he won't be satisfied with the alleged £350m asking price imo
I think that's a fair fear, he's done enough to make reasonable fans sceptical whether he can successfully and smoothly complete this deal. Although I do think even if it is/was going smoothly, it would be taking this long to complete.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am
My issue would be less that he'd want more than the reported 350m, and more that he wouldn't want to relinquish complete control. Still have his hooks in someway or the other. Didn't he do something with Rangers where they had to sell merchandise exclusively through sports direct even after he was forced out? It's purely speculation on my part, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he tried something of the same ilk here. Maybe stay on as a director of power drinking or something.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Hjl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 am

No one seems to mind when people mention that the Glazer family are American.

The term Arab is a generic term covering people from a multitude of countries including UAE.

Actually it pretty much is the same. American can be used to describe anybody or anything from either of the american continents. The USA's coopting of the term to describe themselves specifically pisses off alot of other "Americans".

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

What difference does it make , they are Arabs .
Only speaking for myself, but there's a difference between saying someone is objectively Arabic, and repeatedly referring to them as "The Arabs", especially given the widespread discrimination against that group of people. Also, my original post wasn't to handslap saying it once, but to ask that it doesn't become a consistently used nickname.
Fair enough , it wasn’t me that said it anyway but it’s no different to being called brits imo.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Slim999 wrote:

Actually it pretty much is the same. American can be used to describe anybody or anything from either of the american continents. The USA's coopting of the term to describe themselves specifically pisses off alot of other "Americans".
Those Canadian moose **** hate being called Americans.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:15 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 pm

But are too polite to complain about it ... if all the cliches are to go by. <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Fair enough , it wasn’t me that said it anyway but it’s no different to being called brits imo.
No, it's not different than being called Brits, but I wasn't trying to compare it to a situation like that, but instead thinking ahead to how annoying it'd be if a year from now instead of referring to the owner(s) by name like we do with Ashley, people instead were just always saying The Arabs, and how'd it'd be hard to read if people were saying it with animosity. And maybe Man U fans do that with the Glazers, instead always referring to them as The Americans (I have no idea?), but I guess it just gets my back up thinking that if fans get to a point of being pissed with the owners, I wouldn't want their race being indistinguishably associated with their name.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:15 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm

But are too polite to complain about it ... if all the cliches are to go by. <laugh>
Do you know how big moose are?! That bestiality would be a deathwish.

Oh, and we definitely don't consider ourselves Americans. That "but you're North American" excuse some people use is ****, it isn't like it people from South America get called Americans too. <fist>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm
Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm

No, it's not different than being called Brits, but I wasn't trying to compare it to a situation like that, but instead thinking ahead to how annoying it'd be if a year from now instead of referring to the owner(s) by name like we do with Ashley, people instead were just always saying The Arabs, and how'd it'd be hard to read if people were saying it with animosity. And maybe Man U fans do that with the Glazers, instead always referring to them as The Americans (I have no idea?), but I guess it just gets my back up thinking that if fans get to a point of being pissed with the owners, I wouldn't want their race being indistinguishably associated with their name.

Agree with RC here. If "The Arabs" becomes the established monicer it is a short time before an adjective gets added that becomes an extremely racist and negative stain on the fans reputation. Better to avoid from the start.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

Agree with RC here. If "The Arabs" becomes the established monicer it is a short time before an adjective gets added that becomes an extremely racist and negative stain on the fans reputation. Better to avoid from the start.
Exactly. Though I should clarify, I didn't think the original poster I responded to meant it maliciously, it was just something that got me to thinking about how there's a risk it could become a common thing, and I wouldn't want to see that.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 pm

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Remember Colo wrote:

So anyway, has the fat cockney sold the club yet? <scratch> <roll>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm

skalpel wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

As a man of generously proportioned stature I resent your use of the word fat.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Hjl wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm
skalpel wrote:

As a man of generously proportioned stature I resent your use of the word fat.
Generously proportioned <laugh> As a self-admitted fat bastard myself, definitely want a bit of that haha.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 am

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

You had to go and say it. Can we please not use the word cockneys .

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 am

Last night. Spanish late late night show ('La Resistencia', Movistar +). <laugh>

<dotheameobi>

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm getting bored waiting for any sort of progress on this now. My suspicions are raised again.

Why does the story always 'leak' just around the transfer window.?

If ZBG were serious buyers - why would they leak it?

Anybody buying a season ticket yet is a compete MUG imo.

Don't renew till it's done .

And if it's not done BOYCOTT

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm
I'm getting bored waiting for any sort of progress on this now. My suspicions are raised again.

Why does the story always 'leak' just around the transfer window.?

If ZBG were serious buyers - why would they leak it?

Anybody buying a season ticket yet is a compete MUG imo.

Don't renew till it's done .

And if it's not done BOYCOTT
Because people tend to buy football clubs in the off-season.

Because rich people buy expensive, unnecessary things like football clubs so they can brag about buying them.

So is it the prospective owners leaking the story? Or is it Ashley? Because those are mutually exclusive things that have very different intentions.