The F1 Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57 am

Hamilton had to brake, but I don’t think he had to take drastic action. Vettel did lose speed and come off the accelerator when he was on the grass (it looked like) as if he’d kept his foot down he’d have been into the wall. He also still had some opposite lock on when he rejoined so it wasn’t really a willing move all the way over to the right.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:40 am

Vettel should have got off the gas when he went off track and then he wouldn't have lost control so much and ended up skidding sideways across the track - the stewards will have seen the telemetry of the car so they will know whether he took action to minimise risk of an accident or not

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:29 am

I'm just desperate to see someone other than a Merc win a race <laugh>

Not just for this incident, but the rules are too strict a lot of the time I think, often at the expense of the spectacle.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm

I was enjoying the battle at the front but that incident just spoilt it really. Vettel would have been better off giving the place to Lewis then battling to overtake - he wouldn't have got the penalty that way too

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm
I was enjoying the battle at the front but that incident just spoilt it really. Vettel would have been better off giving the place to Lewis then battling to overtake - he wouldn't have got the penalty that way too
Racing is dead.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 pm

The other takeaway from this season is that Kubica does not belong in an F1 car now. He’s embarrassingly slow. Yes it was a nice story, but it was clear from testing last season that he’s nowhere near quick enough anymore.

Credit to him for where he’s gotten back to, but there’s not really any space for sentimentality in elite sport.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 pm
The other takeaway from this season is that Kubica does not belong in an F1 car now. He’s embarrassingly slow. Yes it was a nice story, but it was clear from testing last season that he’s nowhere near quick enough anymore.

Credit to him for where he’s gotten back to, but there’s not really any space for sentimentality in elite sport.
Given someone like Ocon couldn't even get a seat.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:56 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Given someone like Ocon couldn't even get a seat.
Definitely. I said last season that Kubica wasn’t quick enough so was a bit surprised that Williams gave him the drive this season. Mind you, their car is so bad that maybe everyone else turned them down!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Just watching the french Gp. Recorded it earlier as it’s a waste of a Sunday afternoon watching live. Until this season I’ve always watched races live but now it’s so boring it’s not worth bothering. Can’t recall a time in my life when I’ve had so little interest watching races.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:34 am

The race was really bad! Hamilton was out of reach by mid race. Weird how Bottas dropped off at the end but still wasn't really in any danger so late in the race. Im struggling to think of much that happened - the DRS was too effective making take overs pretty easy. I can only remember a couple of battles with Riciardo really. Boring!

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 pm

I was diving in the keys, planning to watch a replay, then someone started reading out the results so didn't bother. After your two comments, I'm glad they spoiled it for me!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Yes, it was utter s****!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm

It's farcical, Mercedes have more points than Ferrari and Red Bull put together.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 am

ALF wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm
It's farcical, Mercedes have more points than Ferrari and Red Bull put together.
It does make you wonder why they are so much better - Ferrari and Red Bull are great teams, you would think they would be somewhere near

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 am

I mean credit to Merc for building a hell of a car, but single team dominance in any sport is bad for fans as it removes the spectacle and unpredictability. I’m guessing Ferrari must have a similar budget to Merc so why have their cars not been able to win a Championship for so long? Red Bull probably have s a smaller budget so realistically aiming for best of the rest.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 am
ALF wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm
It does make you wonder why they are so much better - Ferrari and Red Bull are great teams, you would think they would be somewhere near
Merc haven't blindly copied the Adrian Newey approach to this years car and it's paid off.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am
Micky Quim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 am

Merc haven't blindly copied the Adrian Newey approach to this years car and it's paid off.
Tbf they've been miles ahead of the rest throughout the hybrid era. A couple of seasons Ferrari have managed to stay close until the summer break but then been blown away by Merc. This year they can't even do that. Merc will have the constructors title sewn up with months to spare, and Hamilton will win the drivers championship with about 4 races to spare. It'll be the same again next season too.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Red Bull are trying to force a mid season change and revert to last years tyres but will require 7 of the 10 teams to agree.

Merc struggled with tyres last season so it looks like it's a bit of a coup by the rest of the field to make Merc less dominant.

Mercedes supply engines to Willliams and Racing Point so they'd likely be under pressure to vote with Mercedes against the change.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Decent qually so far. Ferrari quick, possible grid drop for Hamilton. Hopefully we get a good race for a change.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Decent qually so far. Ferrari quick, possible grid drop for Hamilton. Hopefully we get a good race for a change.
3 place penalty for Hamilton, starts 5th behind Lando <diva>