The next manager?

Deano
Pope's Goalposts

Re: The next manager?

Post by Deano » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm Mr unpopular opinion here I think Bruce isn't the worst manager in the world is he as good as rafa not by a long shot but he has experience in spades he did a good job with Hull a few years ago and always comes across quite well in the press.

He's a no nonsense manager who wants to be here and if he rolls his slaves up and gives it his best then that's good enough for me. I'm not the most frequent poster and god knows I'll miss rafa but I support Newcastle United and want to see Newcastle in the Premier league and eventually someone will buy the club I believe that.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Deano wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm
I'm Mr unpopular opinion here I think Bruce isn't the worst manager in the world is he as good as rafa not by a long shot but he has experience in spades he did a good job with Hull a few years ago and always comes across quite well in the press.

He's a no nonsense manager who wants to be here and if he rolls his slaves up and gives it his best then that's good enough for me. I'm not the most frequent poster and god knows I'll miss rafa but I support Newcastle United and want to see Newcastle in the Premier league and eventually someone will buy the club I believe that.
I completely agree with your second paragraph, and even a lot of your first. I think my feelings have more to do with the process of hiring him (aka as per usual they don't seem to have a process), and that I'm pretty sick of the same ol' managers doing the rounds despite never showing anything to suggest they're better than the alternatives who never get the same chances.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Deano wrote:

He's actually got a decent win record and I've no doubt he will give his all.

As above though there's been no process, we can do better and he doesn't inspire any optimism what so ever. Also the fact we are less than 4 weeks away from the Arsenal game is bloody terrifying.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm
Deano wrote:

As above though there's been no process, we can do better and he doesn't inspire any optimism what so ever. Also the fact we are less than 4 weeks away from the Arsenal game is bloody terrifying.
Since when? His Premier League win record is 28%.

He's even got a worse Premier League points per game record than McClaren, Pardew and Kinnear!

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 am

Not in most people's opinion the best or unbiased broadcast medium, but TALKSOPRT today @9am might be worth a listen. Michael Chopra calling it as it is at Newcastle ................allegedly !
We'll see.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:35 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm
Deano wrote:

I completely agree with your second paragraph, and even a lot of your first. I think my feelings have more to do with the process of hiring him (aka as per usual they don't seem to have a process), and that I'm pretty sick of the same ol' managers doing the rounds despite never showing anything to suggest they're better than the alternatives who never get the same chances.
This. I've been talking about with my mate who I sit with (whilst also trying to work out if we're going to Arsenal or not. I haven't told him there's some div on a forum calling everyone scabs or we'd definitely be going...) and we've come to the conclusion that while anyone post Rafa would be a step down, to then go to pick someone from the old merry go round rather than a young and hungry manager who might bring something new is the real kicker. Bruce isn't even part of the British Managers Lunch Club, that's how low his stock is.

P.S. the bolded bit is wonderful and a rumour we should all be spreading about Brucey.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 am

TJR wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Since when? His Premier League win record is 28%.

He's even got a worse Premier League points per game record than McClaren, Pardew and Kinnear!

Yeah hes mostly done 'well' in the championship <erk>

At clubs where he would be expected to do better. I just had a glance at his stats, a decent number of 40% wins

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

Yeah it's a table that takes some interpretation, including Keegan and Benitez feels kind of cheaty given the clubs they've managed compared to the others, and Bruce has always been at promoted/bottom dwelling teams.

Plus 1.12 points per game = survival...

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am
Yeah it's a table that takes some interpretation, including Keegan and Benitez feels kind of cheaty given the clubs they've managed compared to the others, and Bruce has always been at promoted/bottom dwelling teams.

Mike will be happy
# stolen from nufc.com :)

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 am

Rumours that Graham Carr may be returning to work alongside Bruce...

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

True and realistically survival is our only target.

However I can't see us staying up. I can't see 3 clubs in a worse position than us. Brighton are certainties to go down. Sheffield Utd will go down as well but I can't see who the 3rd team will be other than us.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 am

We can’t score goals . No way Will we stay up with current squad

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 am

Rumours from Lyon that Bruno Genesio is in Newcastle to sign a 4 year deal, linked to the takeover... probably bollocks but some good drama for a couple of days till Bruce is appointed

(My faintest, faintest hope: Bruce was lined up by Ashley, Genesio by BZG, BZG will do the takeover and bring in Genesio...)
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 am
We can’t score goals . No way Will we stay up with current squad
I'm actually not that negative about the squad as it stands. The back six is solid, Ki and Longstaff in midfield are excellent (though we need depth with Diame and Hayden going) and Muto is basically like a new signing™. Perez going is massive, but I think we've still got just enough to stay up. Just.

Surely Bruce has been promised something for new signings though?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Well I have just purchased two season tickets . Feel dirty but my son likes it

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:17 pm

That's the hard part. My daughter just asked me when I'll take her again and my plan was the pre season game, but I really don't feel like buying tickets for it. :(

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Speedo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 am
Rumours from Lyon that Bruno Genesio is in Newcastle to sign a 4 year deal, linked to the takeover... probably bollocks but some good drama for a couple of days till Bruce is appointed

(My faintest, faintest hope: Bruce was lined up by Ashley, Genesio by BZG, BZG will do the takeover and bring in Genesio...)
More like Ashley has baulked at the compen for Bruce

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:17 pm
That's the hard part. My daughter just asked me when I'll take her again and my plan was the pre season game, but I really don't feel like buying tickets for it. :(
If she's keen to go do it if anything it'll give you some quality time with her.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Tsi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 pm
Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:17 pm
If she's keen to go do it if anything it'll give you some quality time with her.
But saves = survival will call her a scab. :(

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:23 pm
Tsi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 pm

But saves = survival will call her a scab. :(
The guy that funds Ashley via sky I wouldn't worry about what he calls anyone <roll>