The next manager?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: The next manager?

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49022483

Newcastle defender Federico Fernandez says he "understands" fans' concerns over the appointment of Steve Bruce but is looking forward to working with him.

Bruce was confirmed as Rafael Benitez's successor on Wednesday after resigning from his position as Sheffield Wednesday boss on Monday.

Following Newcastle's confirmation of his arrival, at St James' Park, #Bruceout was trending on Twitter.

"Of course, fans maybe want a different manager or players," said Fernandez.

"But we need to work hard to show we are ready for the Premier League."

Newcastle, who finished 13th in the Premier League last season, are the 10th club Bruce has managed and this is his 11th post, having led Wigan Athletic twice.

He will fly to China to meet the squad following Wednesday's Premier League Asia Trophy 4-0 defeat by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"We want to show the fans and everyone we can compete," added Fernandez.

"It's a new manager coming in so we are looking forward to working with him - a man with great experience."
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm

My simple thoughts on that mindnumbing few pages is that football is just leisure. Sure, I spend time on this forum, I watch Newcastle United on tv (went to matches when I lived there), I watch other clubs on tv, just as I go to baseball, football, basketball and rugby matches here in Toronto, and watch just about everything else on television. All that said, I just can't get too mad no matter how tiresomely inept Ashley is as an owner.

People like that idiot forum member can rant about scabs, call Ashley names, and suggest we're all complicit in some overblown conspiracy to ruin a way of life, but at the end of the day, it's just sports. Yes, sports can provide incredible emotional highs, but for our own sanity it's best not to take them so seriously as to let the ongoing **** of Newcastle United get us too low. Maybe I'm just lucky I can manage that.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm
My simple thoughts on that mindnumbing few pages is that football is just leisure. Sure, I spend time on this forum, I watch Newcastle United on tv (went to matches when I lived there), I watch other clubs on tv, just as I go to baseball, football, basketball and rugby matches here in Toronto, and watch just about everything else on television. All that said, I just can't get too mad no matter how tiresomely inept Ashley is as an owner.

People like that idiot forum member can rant about scabs, call Ashley names, and suggest we're all complicit in some overblown conspiracy to ruin a way of life, but at the end of the day, it's just sports. Yes, sports can provide incredible emotional highs, but for our own sanity it's best not to take them so seriously as to let the ongoing **** of Newcastle United get us too low. Maybe I'm just lucky I can manage that.
Last paragraph says it all. <ok>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm

As above. Football is brilliant, but there are more important things in life. Can't let it control your entire person. Certainly not enough to turn yourself into that.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:41 pm

Hopefully Bruce gets the same treatment from Newcastle fans that he did Halloween a few years ago.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Cheeeer up Stevie Bruuuce!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

So you’re implying I'm a “snowflake”?

I’ve been going probably longer than you’ve been alive. Suffered Westwood, McKeag and so on. I despise Ashley and everything he stands for, everything he does. He’ll be gone long before me. I’ve done as much as my conscious will let me, but I can’t turn my back fully on the club I love.

Whereas your views are those of an utter cronut.
Ahh McKeag <fist> for me just as bad if not worse than Ashley.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Tsi wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm
Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

So you’re implying I'm a “snowflake”?

I’ve been going probably longer than you’ve been alive. Suffered Westwood, McKeag and so on. I despise Ashley and everything he stands for, everything he does. He’ll be gone long before me. I’ve done as much as my conscious will let me, but I can’t turn my back fully on the club I love.

Whereas your views are those of an utter cronut.
I've said it before Ashley has been a bad owner but there have been worse. McKeag for sure and i'd put Hall in that camp as well.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm
Tsi wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

I've said it before Ashley has been a bad owner but there have been worse. McKeag for sure and i'd put Hall in that camp as well.
See i can't just for the fact he ended McKeags era of misery.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Tsi wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm

See i can't just for the fact he ended McKeags era of misery.
<laugh> Yeah in much the same way that a bullet to the brain might be a welcome relief to a man on fire. But the bullet was still the second worst thing that ever happened to him.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 am

<laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 am

Ask a silly question, but I watched Steve Wraith's interview yesterday (the state of his shirt. Ridiculous human being) and he mentioned the people who'd gone online and seen there were about 12,000 unsold season tickets which he saw as good news for the boycott. Isn't that about the normal number of non season ticket holders? I thought we had around 30,000, which by the time you knock off corporates and away fans is about right?

Also we should probably rename this the General Misery thread.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 am
Ask a silly question, but I watched Steve Wraith's interview yesterday (the state of his shirt. Ridiculous human being) and he mentioned the people who'd gone online and seen there were about 12,000 unsold season tickets which he saw as good news for the boycott. Isn't that about the normal number of non season ticket holders? I thought we had around 30,000, which by the time you knock off corporates and away fans is about right?

I think we have around 35k available for season ticket holders. The remaining 17k are for general sale tickets, corporate tickets and away fans.

Of the 35k season ticket holders around 12k haven't renewed. So there'll be a lot more availability on general sale for games next season.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:49 am

TJR wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 am
Colly wrote:

I think we have around 35k available for season ticket holders. The remaining 17k are for general sale tickets, corporate tickets and away fans.

Of the 35k season ticket holders around 12k haven't renewed. So there'll be a lot more availability on general sale for games next season.
Great news for the scabs.

<gent>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am

TJR wrote:
Colly wrote:

Got it, ta. It's going to be a funny looking ground this season if correct.

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:49 am
TJR wrote:

Great news for the scabs.

<gent>
I rarely get the chance to get to games anymore, having relocated and had kids (pesky little sods), so the main opportunity for me is to get to any away game in the North West. I have and always will support Newcastle, so if the opportunity arises next season to get to the odd game due to general sale, I have no shame in admitting I will be at my scabbiest and I will be there. Hate Ashley, hate the way the club has gone but I can't just chuck away what has been a very entertaining part of 30 years of my life.

We need a scab smilie <awe>
There is no sin except stupidity.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am

Steve Bruce stated he is not a puppet and has final say on transfers.

Which is what Mike told him to say <fist>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Starting to see now why Mike didn't buy into Rafa's "project" <erk>
SpoilerShow

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:02 pm

They've missed out the 't'. :(

Caer Newydd
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Caer Newydd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am
Steve Bruce stated he is not a puppet and has final say on transfers.

Which is what Mike told him to say <fist>
I'm sure this was playing away in the background when he said that: