Predictions - Where will Newcastle finish this season?

Where will Newcastle finish this season?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 pm

1st / 2nd / 3rd
6%
4th / 5th
No votes
6th / 7th
3%
8th / 9th
3%
10th / 11th
14%
12th / 13th
17%
14th / 15th
28%
16th / 17th
19%
18th / 19th / 20th
11%

Total votes: 36

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Predictions - Where will Newcastle finish this season?

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:36 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:29 pm
Anything higher than 15th and I'll be shocked.
Thankfully the fans of like 8 clubs should probably be saying that.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:29 pm
Anything higher than 15th and I'll be shocked.

I was wondering what Jurgen Klinsmann was doing these days <roll>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:24 am

I'm going for relegation. You hear so much about how squad unity and feeling make a big difference in sport. Clearly the players loved rafa (in the main) and I think the way he left and the protest will have a negative effect.
As a previous poster said, we have a good defensive base, but if we play counter attacking we are relying on three youngish players with potential to get goals from few chances. It's a huge risk
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:24 am
I'm going for relegation. You hear so much about how squad unity and feeling make a big difference in sport. Clearly the players loved rafa (in the main) and I think the way he left and the protest will have a negative effect.
As a previous poster said, we have a good defensive base, but if we play counter attacking we are relying on three youngish players with potential to get goals from few chances. It's a huge risk
Regarding squad unity and feeling, I’ve got the impression that the squad feel pretty happy tbh.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 am
Regarding squad unity and feeling, I’ve got the impression that the squad feel pretty happy tbh.
Maybe for the moment. Matt Ritchie comments today were interesting, doesnt seem to understand the protests. Wonder if the boycott will upset the unity (not to say that should stop people)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 am

The boycott's not going to make any more impact than any of the other ones.

Anyway, I think we could improve on last seasons 13th, and 10th isn't out of the question. I'm going to put an extremely optimistic top 6 bet on though so I've ticked the 8th-9th box to average it out...

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am

It's the hope that kills you haha (not a dig)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 am

Agree completely!

I just have an odd feeling this could end up like that season where Jose left with his comments and it ended up biting him in the arse. We're in nowhere near as bad shape as McNulty thinks (quelle surprise), but probably nowhere near as good as I do...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 am
The boycott's not going to make any more impact than any of the other ones.

Anyway, I think we could improve on last seasons 13th, and 10th isn't out of the question. I'm going to put an extremely optimistic top 6 bet on though so I've ticked the 8th-9th box to average it out...
Well I was speaking to a villa fan earlier and he was hoping for a tenth place finish <whistle>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Yeah, I think the squad is pretty much happier than before, I think Rafa was highly respected as a professional who knows his job, but outside of that it seems some players were frustrated under him, seem to be hearing recurring criticism that's followed Rafa, like never knowing what he thinks or what he wants from you, some of the stubbornness that's been touched upon before. You can be the best in the world at what you do but still be an absolute ballache to work under.

Rafa knew how to capture fans hearts and give hope, so from the outside looking in he's always going to look like this amazing guy who's also an amazing football manager, but the reality is we didnt have to work under him everyday in a workplace, we weren't the ones always being told publicly you're not good enough, we need better players than you.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Yeah, I think the squad is pretty much happier than before, I think Rafa was highly respected as a professional who knows his job, but outside of that it seems some players were frustrated under him, seem to be hearing recurring criticism that's followed Rafa, like never knowing what he thinks or what he wants from you, some of the stubbornness that's been touched upon before. You can be the best in the world at what you do but still be an absolute ballache to work under.

Rafa knew how to capture fans hearts and give hope, so from the outside looking in he's always going to look like this amazing guy who's also an amazing football manager, but the reality is we didnt have to work under him everyday in a workplace, we weren't the ones always being told publicly you're not good enough, we need better players than you.
Well said <ok>

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:56 am

I still think the season will be a struggle but we'll have enough to avoid the drop. Expecting somewhere around 13th-16th perhaps, and because I tend to be a little cynical I've voted towards the latter end.

It is a little odd though, as I can't really remember the last time when we had breakthrough players like Longstaff, big money signings in the space of 12 months or so and a seemingly well balanced defence, yet there is such a negative atmosphere around the whole place. I think the point about Rafa cultivating this image of him as the saviour is a good one - it's been painted as if the whole squad has walked away with him, where in reality we have a solid enough lineup with a couple of (hopefully) exciting young/new players.

See now I'm getting all hopeful again <wah>
There is no sin except stupidity.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 am

I just got 60/1 on us finishing top 6...

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm

We won't

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm

That's probably why it's 60/1. I could've put a pound on us to stay up at 2/9, but that's a long time to wait for 20p.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm

And we won't get any goals either according to this https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49250674 Following on from McNulty yesterday now another one at the Beeb.
We were hardly prolific last season so why not see if the new lads can do better rather than right us off?
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm
That's probably why it's 60/1. I could've put a pound on us to stay up at 2/9, but that's a long time to wait for 20p.
I’d expect our odds to be longer than 60/1!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Gone for slap bang mid-table 10/11th. Feeling hopelessly optimistic for some strange reason. Not expecting it to last.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am
It's the hope that kills you haha (not a dig)
With how miserable so many of our fans seem to be these days, it'd seem the hopelessness is worse. I'd rather feel hopeful at these stages and then eventually be disappointed, than be a miserable bastard 12 months of the year.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:18 pm

My only worry at the moment is that we won't see Almiron, Saint-Maximin and Joelinton as a front 3 <laugh>