Match day thread - NUFC V Arsenal

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Match day thread - NUFC V Arsenal

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 pm

If we are as bad as people are making out then why bother watching? It's almost like some people are watching just to go over the top with complaints.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm

clippert wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:34 pm
Arsenal were piss poor.
We didn't make the look piss poor.

I'm concerned for the rest of the season, everything looked a bit random.
We were more drilled under Rafa.
We lost all three opening games under Rafa.

First game is always a bit of a toss up, players haven't played competitive football in months, passes go astray (both sides were hugely guilty of this) and results can be weird. As it is we lost 1-0 to Arsenal, we could maybe have got more were it not for a silly error and a gamble with subs that didn't pay off. That doesn't define our season.

Ki should never be out of a match squad.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 pm

I was at the game but that was so poor I wish I'd joined the boycott!

#scab

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm

It was a hard watch mainly because the match as a whole was bloody awful, but to claim that we are definitely going down and calling players a disgrace and s*** after their first match for us is utterly ridiculous.

The concern is how quick Bruce can figure out what he wants from his system and how fast the players adapt to that, because when the subs came on nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on. Ritchie was running about like a terrier chasing a ball in the park and Almiron just looked totally lost towards the latter stages.

I think there is a greater feeling of disappointment due to the Arsenal team we faced, rather than the one we might have faced. It's not often you get such a good chance to get a result against a top 6 side.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 pm

It was definitely a comparatively weak Arsenal side and we didn’t ever really look like testing them unfortunately. But we’ll go again against Norwich next week.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 pm
It was definitely a comparatively weak Arsenal side and we didn’t ever really look like testing them unfortunately. But we’ll go again against Norwich next week.
The predictions with Norwich seem to have been that they've been relying on their attacking play to compensate for defensive failings, but lack the quality to replicate their Championship form against PL teams. On that basis I think we might get soundly beaten. Hopefully not though

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 am

Jetro Willems is the new Davide Santon.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am

IMO big overreaction to the game yesterday. Front line isn’t quite there yet but showed promise (Joelinton’s touch and hold up play esp, and also Miggy’ running in the first half); we lost shape when we took off our best to CMs, which presumably we won’t do again; and we conceded the one time we really f***ed up defensively.

Fine margins really. Do not feel Arsenal dominated us at all. Yes it wasn’t their very strongest side but they had probably £200m worth of talent on the pitch most of the time, more second half when Pepe came on. We could have won the game but for a loose pass and a better final ball.
I had the first custom w***

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm

I thought we did alright, few hiccups and some odd subs, duba gave me a few scares too. Definitely room for improvement but not the end of the world.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 am
Playing CM for 20 minutes?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Thought we were slightly better than Arsenal, albeit less organized maybe. But they only had 2 shots on target, and the goal came from a moment of shambolic defending by our two most defensive defenders. There were also a lot of new faces playing non-friendly football together for the first time. I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought it was relatively encouraging. That, and it was nice to actually set up and play as if they hadn't been told by their manager to limit the negative impact on our goal differential...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Thought we were slightly better than Arsenal, albeit less organized maybe. But they only had 2 shots on target, and the goal came from a moment of shambolic defending by our two most defensive defenders. There were also a lot of new faces playing non-friendly football together for the first time. I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought it was relatively encouraging. That, and it was nice to actually set up and play as if they hadn't been told by their manager to limit the negative impact on our goal differential...
I did enjoy that I must admit, especially for the first twenty minutes.

I'd just also like to remind the doom-mongers that it took until November last season to win a game under the mighty-Rafa, so it is hardly fair to write-off Bruce after one game when it took Rafa more than ten games during his third season with the squad to get a result. He deserves some time to get his system working.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:06 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm
Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 am
Playing CM for 20 minutes?
Exactly that.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm

I'd just also like to remind the doom-mongers that it took until November last season to win a game under the mighty-Rafa, so it is hardly fair to write-off Bruce after one game when it took Rafa more than ten games during his third season with the squad to get a result. He deserves some time to get his system working.
<applause>

I'm not a fan of the 5-3-2 formation i much prefer 5-2-3 or even if you have to accommodate Hayden, Lonstaff and Shelvey then play 4-3-3 but that's just me. I'm sure we'll get it right just takes some work on the training pitch. The issue i did have is if there was a doubt about Lascelles and Dummett play Clark and Fernandez instead with Ki on the bench it's not like CB is a weakness for us.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 pm

I'd personally like to see Almiron play in a deeper role. Would give him more space to allow his breaking runs to be far more devastating.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 pm

<applause>

I'm not a fan of the 5-3-2 formation i much prefer 5-2-3 or even if you have to accommodate Hayden, Lonstaff and Shelvey then play 4-3-3 but that's just me. I'm sure we'll get it right just takes some work on the training pitch. The issue i did have is if there was a doubt about Lascelles and Dummett play Clark and Fernandez instead with Ki on the bench it's not like CB is a weakness for us.
Yeah I agree that is a valid criticism and also the performance/tactics were not good either. But he deserves some time before we get too critical.

Also agree about preferring 5-2-3. <ok>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Yeah I agree that is a valid criticism and also the performance/tactics were not good either. But he deserves some time before we get too critical.
For sure

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

For sure
Definitely not. Newcastle fan policy is that if a player or manager isn’t incredible from moment one then We write them off as being s*** <mob>

<roll>
Last edited by Bodacious Benny on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:26 pm
Tsi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm

For sure
Definitely not. Newcastle fan policy is that if a player or manager isn’t incredible from moment one the. We right them off as being s*** <mob>

<roll>
I was wondering who the scunny mag was slating Joelinton in his first pre season game <roll>

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 pm
I'd personally like to see Almiron play in a deeper role. Would give him more space to allow his breaking runs to be far more devastating.
This. Something like this would be interesting to watch even though it looks attacking, I think we could do well against the ''lesser teams'' so to speak at home we could use this to play on the front foot..

Duba
Schar Lascelles Dummet
Manquillo Longstaff Shelvey Willems
Miggy
Joelinton Maximin

Like a 3-4-1-2 formation.. <scratch>