Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day thread - NUFC V Arsenal

Post by Alfie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 am

Sanchino wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm
Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 pm
I'd personally like to see Almiron play in a deeper role. Would give him more space to allow his breaking runs to be far more devastating.
This. Something like this would be interesting to watch even though it looks attacking, I think we could do well against the ''lesser teams'' so to speak at home we could use this to play on the front foot..

Duba
Schar Lascelles Dummet
Manquillo Longstaff Shelvey Willems
Miggy
Joelinton Maximin

Like a 3-4-1-2 formation.. <scratch>
Going by performances I'd play Ritchie instead of Willems. Didn't look like he'd met his team mates. Will hopefully be decent but not as CM, the whole team needs time to gel. I'd like to see Almiron, Joelinton & ASM starting together against Norwich.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Vaj
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions

Post by Vaj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 pm
I'd personally like to see Almiron play in a deeper role. Would give him more space to allow his breaking runs to be far more devastating.
This. Something like this would be interesting to watch even though it looks attacking, I think we could do well against the ''lesser teams'' so to speak at home we could use this to play on the front foot..

Duba
Schar Lascelles Dummet
Miggy
Joelinton Maximin

I like this but for me Hayden should be the first centre mid on the team sheet, the way he breaks up play is fantastic. I also feel as though his attacking play is getting much better. I would want Hayden and Longstaff, but can't see Bruce dropping Shelvey.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Longstaff (not the only one) looked well off the pace on Sunday which is understandable. Obviously he’s still a complete rookie and also coming back from a good few months injured.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm

I don't think it was helped by the formation, Shelvey holding with Hayden and Longstaff in front meant we lost the bite that they produce, and the game pretty much passed Longstaff by. I've said before though, if we move to a midfield two Shelvey can't be in it, his tanker style turning circle when we lose possession certainly didn't #boycottarsenal.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Vaj wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm
Sanchino wrote:

Duba
Schar Lascelles Dummet
Miggy
Joelinton Maximin

I like this but for me Hayden should be the first centre mid on the team sheet, the way he breaks up play is fantastic. I also feel as though his attacking play is getting much better. I would want Hayden and Longstaff, but can't see Bruce dropping Shelvey.
I think Shelvey was our best player on the pitch in the first half, and Hayden was the most influential player in the second half. They're very different players though, and agree that Hayden has skills and plays a role that nobody else in the squad offers. I should clarify though, Longstaff will likely show himself to be more influential than both this season, but I thought he was a bit anonymous in this one.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:53 pm

And I'd add that I agree with Colly that Hayden is definitely more valuable playing behind Shelvey than more advanced. He's much better breaking up play at the back than receiving or making passes farther forward.

Vaj

Post by Vaj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm
Vaj wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I think Shelvey was our best player on the pitch in the first half, and Hayden was the most influential player in the second half. They're very different players though, and agree that Hayden has skills and plays a role that nobody else in the squad offers. I should clarify though, Longstaff will likely show himself to be more influential than both this season, but I thought he was a bit anonymous in this one.
Yeah I definitely agree with that. Thought Longstaff was poor but he is definitely the most talented out of the three. Think he was a bit lost and maybe in a two helps him more. Would be interested to see what Shelvey is like further forward with Hayden and Longstaff in the roles they were last year. We don’t need Shelvey’s long ball game further back when we have Schar and eventually Lejeune returning but his through balls to the pace of Joelinton and Almiron further up the pitch could be good, not to mention the fact we won’t rely on him defensively as much

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

I'd be willing to give it a go, I'm just not sure whether he's suited to being that high up the pitch with defenders putting pressure on him.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Just caught up with the game. Both teams lacklustre, and a draw would have been a fair result. Poor decision from Willems to not come to the ball for their goal, but it was 4 minutes into his debut in English football so I'm giving him a pass - just unfortunate that it led to a goal (after some terrible decision-making by Lascelles to not follow PEA.

ASM looks very lively, I'm excited to see what he can do going forward. Hopefully start next match in a 5-2-3, but we will see. Joelinton showed glimpses but seemed tired towards the end of the match and was dropping very deep. Almiron needs to calm down and not beat himself up so much, you can see his lack of a goal knocking his confidence. Longstaff poor. Hayden and Shelvey good. Defence looked a bit out of position at times - we defo aren't gonna have a rock solid backline like we did under Rafa, but we might have more excitement going forward so hopefully it will balance out.

All in all, I'm still positive for this season and think we can match last season's efforts.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Just caught up with the game. Both teams lacklustre, and a draw would have been a fair result. Poor decision from Willems to not come to the ball for their goal, but it was 4 minutes into his debut in English football so I'm giving him a pass - just unfortunate that it led to a goal (after some terrible decision-making by Lascelles to not follow PEA.

ASM looks very lively, I'm excited to see what he can do going forward. Hopefully start next match in a 5-2-3, but we will see. Joelinton showed glimpses but seemed tired towards the end of the match and was dropping very deep. Almiron needs to calm down and not beat himself up so much, you can see his lack of a goal knocking his confidence. Longstaff poor. Hayden and Shelvey good. Defence looked a bit out of position at times - we defo aren't gonna have a rock solid backline like we did under Rafa, but we might have more excitement going forward so hopefully it will balance out.

All in all, I'm still positive for this season and think we can match last season's efforts.
Yeah, that was how I felt watching it too. I think we have to remember that it's going to take some time for the players to build chemistry with each other, learn their new roles, and for Bruce to sort out best tactics and roles to play players in. These things don't happen overnight. Of course, every team will be making improvements too, but I guess I'm less concerned with the lack of organization and indecision sometimes on the display in the match.