No, I will not
53%

Total votes: 17

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

The Athletic

Post by Speedo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:05 pm

The new player on the football media scene is the Athletic - they've scooped up a huge volume of the best football writers and are looking to become the go-to place for football journalism. George Caulkin (formerly The Times) and Chris Waugh (Chronicle) have moved over there, plus a host of national and international writers including David Ornstein, Ollie Kay, Rafa Honigstein, Dominic Fifield, Michael Cox, etc. Allegedly they have been offering salary increases of 75%, so its unsurprising that these guys have all jumped on board.

So what do you think - quality costs, or a rip off for A.N.Other sports site?

I'll declare my allegiance - I've subscribed already (£30/first year, £60/year thereafter).
I had the first custom w***

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: The Athletic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Not sure. Some good writers, but most of my football comes from here or podcasts? Do I have time for all this new content?

And honestly I'm not gonna read the local coverage from other cities...

Alwyas wanted to read more caulkin but wouldn't may murdoch, this is better I guess.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:29 pm

I'm a Blizzard man when I can be arsed and their archive is essentially free these days.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm
Not sure. Some good writers, but most of my football comes from here or podcasts? Do I have time for all this new content?

And honestly I'm not gonna read the local coverage from other cities...

Alwyas wanted to read more caulkin but wouldn't may murdoch, this is better I guess.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. I get plenty of news and info from other places so unlikely to bother spending £30/£60 a year.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Don't really see the point, get enough from twitter.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Yeah I just have, read a few of their articles earlier and was very impressed. Always willing to support journalism when they go the extra mile to produce something actually quality and the price is incredibly reasonable for the first year so will give them an extended chance.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Lidl wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm
Yeah I just have, read a few of their articles earlier and was very impressed. Always willing to support journalism when they go the extra mile to produce something actually quality and the price is incredibly reasonable for the first year so will give them an extended chance.
Copy and paste the good ones please <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm

If it gets good reviews and publishes something different/better/more reliable I might but like others I already consume so much football news from other sources I cant really justify the cost.

Can see alot of their stuff being reposted on forums and Twitter

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Read the Newcastle articles along with the agents and Maguire ones so far, highly recommend the agents story.

You can game the sub a bit to combine offers, I only got the week trial when I went for it, but just putting a link together now managed to combine the month trial with the £30 annual https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_ ... urce=promo

Change waugh50off to whichever author you want, went with the Newcastle one.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm fed up of the absolute tripe the likes of BBC sport come out with these days. While I normally wouldn't pay for sports news it would be nice to read some quality journalism for a change. I'm sure one of you nice subscribers will share a sample to help the rest of us decide if it's worth shelling out for <awe>

They've brought in some good names as well by the sound of it. Caulkin is one of my favourites for Newcastle stuff, and Rafa Honigstein is brilliant. The Athletic should start their own semi pro team with all these quality journos.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 pm
I'm fed up of the absolute tripe the likes of BBC sport come out with these days. While I normally wouldn't pay for sports news it would be nice to read some quality journalism for a change. I'm sure one of you nice subscribers will share a sample to help the rest of us decide if it's worth shelling out for <awe>

They've brought in some good names as well by the sound of it. Caulkin is one of my favourites for Newcastle stuff, and Rafa Honigstein is brilliant. The Athletic should start their own semi pro team with all these quality journos.
Starting to feel like I should get referral payments, but honestly have a look at https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/. They focus on features and history rather than news which is how I like my football journalism.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm
CIH wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Starting to feel like I should get referral payments, but honestly have a look at https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/. They focus on features and history rather than news which is how I like my football journalism.
The name rings a bell, possibly by your previous mentions of it <laugh> Will have a nosey, nice one <ok>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 pm

The Athetic have been growing in North America for a few years now and have brought in a lot of the best writers for several sports. So it's good to see them expanding into football now too.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:28 am

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 am

They haven't got Caulkin, btw.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 am

Not A Scab (Y) wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 am
They haven't got Caulkin, btw.
from https://theathletic.co.uk/1116415/2019/ ... subscribe/
We have also brought in brilliant writers like Amy Lawrence and George Caulkin whose words bring the sport to life, and there are talented young journalists like Patrick Boyland and Nancy Frostick among our ranks who will grow into world-beaters.
I think he's just working his notice at Times. Chris Waugh has also mentioned looking forward to working with him
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:28 am
Reckon he's doing it as a way to make his voice heard and definitely not because he's getting paid well for it.