Match thread - Norwich V NUFC

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Match thread - Norwich V NUFC

Post by Toondes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 am

Norwich (a)
train update

Due to industrial action, none of the timetabled East Midlands Trains services between Peterborough and Norwich will run on Saturday - causing problems for Newcastle fans who had planned to reach Carrow Road via that route.

The train operator has now confirmed the following for anyone who was booked on those services:

Ticket acceptance is in place with LNER, Greater Anglia and Cross Country on all reasonable routes.

That means that it's now permissible to remain on LNER services at Peterborough and travel through to London Kings Cross, reaching London Liverpool Street by tube and then taking a Greater Anglia train direct to Norwich.

CrossCountry services going to and from Stansted Airport will still call at Peterborough on Saturday and it is possible to change at Ely onto Greater Anglia trains that run to and from Norwich.

The additional demand for those services may lead to overcrowding, in addition to extended journey times and/or missed connections.

Confusingly, the websites of other operators (including LNER) continue to list those direct East Midlands Train services between Peterborough and Norwich services as still running.

PS: There is also a bus service between Peterborough and Norwich (scheduled not rail replacement) departing every 30 minutes.

The First Bus Excel route takes over three hours and calls at Peterborough railway station details online here

Premier League:
Norwich City (a)

Newcastle are in action on Saturday when Steve Bruce returns to one of his former clubs in the shape of newly-promoted Norwich City.

It's an old-fashioned 3pm kick-off at Carrow Road and United have sold their entire 2,000 allocation, failing to take up an option for a further 700 places.

NUFC: Florian Lejeune and DeAndre Yedlin remain sidelined, while photos published of the Newcastle players training on Wednesday showed that Jonjo Shelvey was involved.

That raises hopes that he's recovered sufficiently from the ailment that forced him off against Arsenal to be in contention for Norwich.

Also spotted training were Rolando Aarons, Jack Colback, Henri Saivet, Achraf Lazaar and Jamie Sterry, all omitted from the first team squad and predicted to make loan departures this month.

Matty Longstaff meanwhile remains in the first team picture; not featuring in Sunday's matchday 18 but unselected for the U23s on Monday and training with the seniors this week.

NCFC: Former Magpies Tim Krul and Grant Hanley are expected to feature for the Canaries.

Travel: see separate update

Stats:

Magpies @ Canaries - last 10:

2016/17 drew 2-2 Perez, Lascelles
2015/16 lost 2-3 Mitrovic 2 (1pen)
2013/14 drew 0-0
2012/13 drew 0-0
2011/12 lost 2-4 Ba 2
2004/05 lost 1-2 Kluivert
1994/95 lost 1-2 Fox (pen)
1993/94 won 2-1 Beardsley, Cole
1988/89 won 2-0 Mirandinha, O'Brien
1987/88 drew 1-1 P.Jackson

Referee: Stuart Attwell - the Warwickshire-based official took charge of two home games last season; the 3-0 victory over Cardiff City and 0-1 loss to Crystal Palace.

Neil Davies is the man on VAR duties.

UK TV: None

Overseas TV: To follow

UK Radio: None

Local Radio: Live on BBC Radio Newcastle

Latest PL fixtures:

Sat 17.08.2019:
Arsenal v Burnley (12.30pm) BT
Aston Villa v Bournemouth (3pm)
Brighton v West Ham (3pm)
Everton v Watford (3pm)
Norwich City v Newcastle (3pm)
Southampton v Liverpool (3pm)
Manchester City v Spurs (5.30pm) Sky

Sun 18.08.2019:
Sheffield United v Crystal Palace (2pm) Sky
Chelsea v Leicester City (4.30pm) Sky

Mon 19.08.2019:
Wolves v Manchester United (8pm) Sky
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Match thread - Norwich V NUFC

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 am

Forgot all about Hanley playing for us!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am

Their first home game back in PL and crowd will be up for it. Norwich victory here.

Hopefully we can get on the scoresheet.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 am
Really sensible signing for me at that level, did his job well enough then we got rid.

I think we'll win. No more daftness from Bruce, a midfielder on the bench, Joelinton gets 5 goals. Maybe not the last part.

ScottishGeordie43
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by ScottishGeordie43 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 am

This will be a real tough one. Norwich will be right up for it, and I'm not so sure I can say the same for our boys.
Despite his mistake, I'd start Willems at LWB. I would like us to go with Joelinton Almiron and ASM to start but I reckon it would leave us too short in midfield.
Team for me:
Dubravka
Schar Lascelles Dummett
Manquillo Shelvey Longstaff Hayden Willems
Almiron
Joelinton

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 am
Really sensible signing for me at that level, did his job well enough then we got rid.

I think we'll win. No more daftness from Bruce, a midfielder on the bench, Joelinton gets 5 goals. Maybe not the last part.
Yeah I thought that at the time but then he hardly played (from memory).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 am

Dubravka
Schar Lascelles Dummett
Manquillo Ki Longstaff Willems
Saint-Maximim Almiron
Joelinton

Darlow, Ritchie, Clark, Hayden, Shelvey, Muto, Gayle.

Bench can be rotated a bit, but I'd like to see that. Maybe swap Ki and Hayden around. Away or not this is the kind of game where we need get points on the board. I liked what I saw from ASM
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am

I think it'll be the same starting line up as Sunday. ASM has a tight hamstring apparently but Shelvey is fit according to SB's press conference this morning. Also said he made a mistake playing Willems in CM so there will likely be a CM on the bench.

I hope for 2 or 3-1 us, only concern is like 2 seasons ago at Huddersfield a newly promoted side first game at home Norwich/crowd will be well up for it. Early goal to quiet them down would be good.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am

Alfie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am
I think it'll be the same starting line up as Sunday. ASM has a tight hamstring apparently but Shelvey is fit according to SB's press conference this morning. Also said he made a mistake playing Willems in CM so there will likely be a CM on the bench.
No s*** he made a mistake, baffling. Playing a new player out of position after naming an overly defensive bench. Supposedly hired Bruce for his prem experience, and because no one else wanted the job, yet he's making glaring errors on day one. Obviously he needs time to settle in but he hasn't started well for me.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am
Colly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am

He didn't, but that's the point of those signings. Useful back up who can go straight in at that level and look fine. Hughton did the same with Hall and Khizanishvili, though Hughton also remembered to just get them on loan so your squad isn't still clogged with Lazaar's and Gamez's for yonks...

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:28 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am

He didn't, but that's the point of those signings. Useful back up who can go straight in at that level and look fine. Hughton did the same with Hall and Khizanishvili, though Hughton also remembered to just get them on loan so your squad isn't still clogged with Lazaar's and Gamez's for yonks...
Still the best nickname in football, One Size Fitz Hall <awe>

I think Lazaar was signed to be better than he ultimately was, same with Mats Selz, just didn't work out for either of them. Gamez was signed on a two year deal and saw it out, no issues with that. Replaced by Manquillo essentially. Full/Wingback areas still need improvement.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm

ScottishGeordie43 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 am
This will be a real tough one. Norwich will be right up for it, and I'm not so sure I can say the same for our boys.
Despite his mistake, I'd start Willems at LWB. I would like us to go with Joelinton Almiron and ASM to start but I reckon it would leave us too short in midfield.
Team for me:
Dubravka
Schar Lascelles Dummett
Almiron
Joelinton
Am I the only one who thought it was a bigger mistake from Dummett than Willems? Sure he should have come back to the ball, but it was a soft lazy pass that welcomed an interception and counter attack. Dummett played well otherwise, but that goal felt more on him and Jamaal (to me).

Oh, and completely agree with your line-up prediction/recommendation!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 pm

CIH wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am
Alfie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am
No s*** he made a mistake, baffling. Playing a new player out of position after naming an overly defensive bench. Supposedly hired Bruce for his prem experience, and because no one else wanted the job, yet he's making glaring errors on day one. Obviously he needs time to settle in but he hasn't started well for me.
It’s only been one game !!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm
ScottishGeordie43 wrote:
Team for me:
Dubravka
Schar Lascelles Dummett
Almiron
Joelinton
Am I the only one who thought it was a bigger mistake from Dummett than Willems? Sure he should have come back to the ball, but it was a soft lazy pass that welcomed an interception and counter attack. Dummett played well otherwise, but that goal felt more on him and Jamaal (to me).
The pass was poor, Willems should have come to it, Lascelles was in no mans land. It happens.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
ScottishGeordie43 wrote:
Team for me:
Dubravka
Schar Lascelles Dummett
Almiron
Joelinton

Oh, and completely agree with your line-up prediction/recommendation!
I agree, I don't put the mistake on Willems. That's why I've not dropped him. First game in a new league, ease in. Mistakes happen, doesn't matter who from, and it's only the first game.
Toondes wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 pm
CIH wrote:

Re-reading what I put, it comes across harsher than I meant. I agree it's only been one game. I'm not judging his entire tenure from the get go, just that it's not exactly got off well. Naming four defenders and no midfielders on the bench is just highly questionable to me. I've seen the stuff about Lascelles and Dummett not being fully fit, but it still seems to be a very unavoidable error. Hindsight probably helps for that, though.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:10 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:35 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

The pass was poor, Willems should have come to it, Lascelles was in no mans land. It happens.
For sure, I'm not angry about it. Overall I was really happy with how they limited Arsenal getting clear chances, and unfortunately it just took one gaff capitalized on by one of the best strikers in the world,.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Norwich winger Onel Hernandez may need surgery on a knee injury he sustained slipping and falling at home.

Canaries manager Daniel Farke said the 26-year-old Cuba international has suffered a suspected ACL injury and "is out for three months".

Hernandez is one of a number of Norwich players sidelined with Timm Klose, Josip Drmic and Christoph Zimmermann also unavailable for Saturday's Premier League clash with Newcastle.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 am

Toondes wrote:
CIH wrote:

In hindsight I've been more than a bit unfair to Bruce. I found the decision to play Willems out of position more baffling than anything else. Apparently though he played cm a number of times last season in Frankfurt. Understandable why Bruce thought he may be able to slot in there, in a pinch.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 am

CIH wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 am
Toondes wrote:

In hindsight I've been more than a bit unfair to Bruce. I found the decision to play Willems out of position more baffling than anything else. Apparently though he played cm a number of times last season in Frankfurt. Understandable why Bruce thought he may be able to slot in there, in a pinch.
It’ll be interesting to see how we set up today. Under Rafa we would sit back and try to counter but I think Bruce will be more attacking. The formation last week didn’t really work and I think the game bypassed Shelvey and Longstaff a bit .

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:35 am

I think they’ll definitely score one or two today so the pressure is on our attacking players to influence the game at our end. Can’t see us going and getting a 1-0 win.