EURO 2020

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: EURO 2020

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 pm
What an enjoyable style of football Kosovo play, they'll qualify.
Hope they do. Fair play to them they turned up to play football and have done themselves proud.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Still have to go to Czechia away, that's the tricky one.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2019/09/10/is ... inst-nufc/

Had a read of this tonight, firstly I think to say there is a targeted agenda is way off the mark, however I have for some time thought we are a prime example of how biased the selection process is. The Hayden/Shelvey compared to Livermore argument is spot on imo, and the Mings one does make Lascelles exclusion more baffling. Personally I'd say Longstaff has a bit further to go so not bothered about him getting over looked but I do find it ridiculous Mount gets in after a few half decent games at Chelsea, don't want to knock mount as he is gonna be a big player, but has he really earned a call up for the seniors yet.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Good game <notbad>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Had a read of this tonight, firstly I think to say there is a targeted agenda is way off the mark, however I have for some time thought we are a prime example of how biased the selection process is. The Hayden/Shelvey compared to Livermore argument is spot on imo, and the Mings one does make Lascelles exclusion more baffling. Personally I'd say Longstaff has a bit further to go so not bothered about him getting over looked but I do find it ridiculous Mount gets in after a few half decent games at Chelsea, don't want to knock mount as he is gonna be a big player, but has he really earned a call up for the seniors yet.
I can't agree to be honest. Shelvey could have got a call up based on 6 months of form two years ago, but didn't. Hayden has had a great run through 2019 and could be on his way, but Henderson has that holding role locked up and is one of the leaders in that team, Livermore hasn't been involved for years. Lascelles we all know isn't England quality (though perhaps the same could be said of Mings, maybe a tipoff from John Terry?).

Longstaff could get there, but is coming off a bad injury and clearly hasn't had as good a start to the season as Mount. There's also the fact that Mount has been through every stage of the junior England sides, something that rightly counts in his favour since we started emulating the Germany model.

I think there's a couple of "they might have made a squad" shouts, but you're right that it's a million miles from a conspiracy against us.

Also amused that the writer thinks suggestions that Shelvey is a liability are just in reference to his card count and not the fact he's clearly a liability...

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 am

I'd say Lascelles is England quality. But that's mainly because the England defence is awful

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 am

If you look at the CBs on the bench yesterday (Mings and Gomez) you can make a strong argument that Lascelles have every right to be in that squad. But given that he didn’t get a look in during 2017/18 when he was excellent then I don’t hold out much hope. Obviously if he moved to West Ham or Everton he’d probably get called up straight away.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 pm

I can't agree to be honest. Shelvey could have got a call up based on 6 months of form two years ago, but didn't. Hayden has had a great run through 2019 and could be on his way, but Henderson has that holding role locked up and is one of the leaders in that team, Livermore hasn't been involved for years. Lascelles we all know isn't England quality (though perhaps the same could be said of Mings, maybe a tipoff from John Terry?).

Longstaff could get there, but is coming off a bad injury and clearly hasn't had as good a start to the season as Mount. There's also the fact that Mount has been through every stage of the junior England sides, something that rightly counts in his favour since we started emulating the Germany model.

I think there's a couple of "they might have made a squad" shouts, but you're right that it's a million miles from a conspiracy against us.

Also amused that the writer thinks suggestions that Shelvey is a liability are just in reference to his card count and not the fact he's clearly a liability...
Pretty much sums it up for me.

I actually get surprised when fans mention a Lascelles call up. He's my 5th choice CB within our squad (only ahead of Clark) and nowhere near good enough in my mind. Buy hey … opinions and all that!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:47 am

I think the only thing with Lascelles as people say is that with the likes of Cahill easing out the current CB options aren't amazing, but for me if the argument is "he should be in, look the guy on the bench might not be better than him" I'm really not that arsed. He certainly isn't unseating Maguire, Stones et al.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

Yeah, I don't buy the comparison argument either. Strange thing is that CB is usually a position that England normally has loads of candidates for (historically) but not currently. I can't remember there ever being so few decent English CB's. Maguire and Stones wouldn't have gotten close to a first team call up for most of my life but are currently pretty much all we've got. That Lascelles still can't get a call up at such a low point for that position helps emphasise to me just how far off the mark he is.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 am

Lascelles is at least the same level as Mings/Keane/Tarkowski/Mawson so if they're getting in the squad Lascelles can count himself very unlucky.

Longstaff isn't ready yet. If he plays a full season as well as he has since breaking into the team then he'll deserve to be in but not before then. Mount showed a full season of quality at Derby and has now transitioned into the Chelsea side becoming one of Chelseas best performers this season.

Rice should be nowhere near the squad. Hayden had a better season than him in the same role but I wouldn't say Hayden is international quality. If Rice is getting into the squad though then Hayden can consider himself very hard done by.

Shelvey should be nowhere near the squad. Both Hayden and Longstaff should be called up before him.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

The other thing I'd note about Lascelles is that he's maybe the only one of the lot mentioned who is playing in a back 3 with his club, which if you're debating between your back-ups, you probably pick the ones using the most similar systems.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Oh, and I'm sure there have been examples of big club selection biases in the past, but Mount over Longstaff is an easy choice at the moment.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm
Oh, and I'm sure there have been examples of big club selection biases in the past, but Mount over Longstaff is an easy choice at the moment.
Yep, 100%.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Scott Kirkland
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Scott Kirkland » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 am

Kosovo played some good stuff, They had a few of their better players out as well, With Tammy Abraham hitting his stride as well as Ashley Barnes,
I hope Rahem Sterling keeps up his form.
He was w*** at the Russian Cup World, His improvement since then is amazing,

Scott Kirkland
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Scott Kirkland » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

When did Israel become part of Europe, I understand they might not be warmly welcomed into the African Cup of Nations, With their love of bombing some them,
Actually I remember Australia Leaving Oceania Football Confederation, and joining the Asian Federation to make it easier to Qualify for World Cups,

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 am

Scott Kirkland wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am
When did Israel become part of Europe, I understand they might not be warmly welcomed into the African Cup of Nations, With their love of bombing some them,
Actually I remember Australia Leaving Oceania Football Confederation, and joining the Asian Federation to make it easier to Qualify for World Cups,
On a slightly different, although loosely connected, tack earlier this year Australia "competed" in the Eurovision Song Contest which was hosted by Israel!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 am

UlversToon wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 am
Scott Kirkland wrote:
On a slightly different, although loosely connected, tack earlier this year Australia "competed" in the Eurovision Song Contest which was hosted by Israel!
The UK "competed" as well.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Scott Kirkland wrote:
Israel isn't in Africa either. :/

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Israel joined UEFA in 1994. Though I know that was more a rhetorical question...