Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Match thread - Leicester v NUFC

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:21 am

Toondes wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:50 am
I know Rafa had a group of fans who didn't like the style of play (though the second half of last season we seemed pretty decent), but what he could do was collectively get a group of players to perform above their ability and have belief that they could win. Pair that with his absolute attention to every detail and it got us to as high a position in the league as we could expect, and kept us clear of relegation. Bruce can do neither of those things, nor can he motivate, nor can he get the fan base on side. There is absolutely zero chance of him keeping us up.
I get that people aren’t happy but why is Bruce talking the brunt of this ? He hasn’t created this mess.He’s managed for over 20 years so clearly people believe in what he does. The football under Rafa was absolutely awful as well ( arguably worse than what Bruce has treated us too). I mean , he’s not my choice but to completely write him off after 6 games is silly.
Not a pop at you but I think he needs at least 10-15 games. Yes the quality has been chronic but it might improve , you never know .
I agree entirely that Bruce is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of issues we have. But for me he’ll never be good enough to manage a PL team. His record over the past X number of years is consistently poor at best (even in the championship).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:00 am
Yeah I'd agree with that. I don't have a lot of faith in Bruce, but he's come in, attempted his own thing first few games which didn't work before rightly moving back to the back 5. He needs a bit of time to get it right, and don't forget he's doing it with both our first choice wingbacks out injured, arguably our best centre half missing and a completely new strike force that needs to settle into the league.

Sunday was embarrassing, and I think he'd probably admit that if he set it up again he'd just put Manquillo on the left and go with the back 5, but he tried something new and it failed against a very good side, not helped by playing an hour with 10 men.

If come Christmas we're looking adrift then we panic, at the moment we're 4 points behind Man Utd.
And I'd add, prior to Hayden getting sent off, we didn't even look THAT bad. Obviously things cratered in the second half, but I feel like if it'd been Shelvey shown red he'd be taking blame differently than Bruce has been.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:21 am
Toondes wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 am

I get that people aren’t happy but why is Bruce talking the brunt of this ? He hasn’t created this mess.He’s managed for over 20 years so clearly people believe in what he does. The football under Rafa was absolutely awful as well ( arguably worse than what Bruce has treated us too). I mean , he’s not my choice but to completely write him off after 6 games is silly.
Not a pop at you but I think he needs at least 10-15 games. Yes the quality has been chronic but it might improve , you never know .
I agree entirely that Bruce is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of issues we have. But for me he’ll never be good enough to manage a PL team. His record over the past X number of years is consistently poor at best (even in the championship).
Oh yeah I agree about Bruce not being g the right man but you never know in football.we could go on a decent run and pick up points then as soon as we lose again it’ll be Bruce out ect ect. I think there’s rose tinted specs about how good we were under Rafa . Not comparing the two in anyway mind. More likely though is that the football will continue to be poor. I think we need the first win at st James and to get Almiron scoring to get his confides up a bit .
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Toondes wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:21 am

Oh yeah I agree about Bruce not being g the right man but you never know in football.we could go on a decent run and pick up points then as soon as we lose again it’ll be Bruce out ect ect. I think there’s rose tinted specs about how good we were under Rafa . Not comparing the two in anyway mind. More likely though is that the football will continue to be poor. I think we need the first win at st James and to get Almiron scoring to get his confides up a bit .
There'll always be recency bias. People said the Brighton game was the worst they'd ever seen, but every season for years now have brought matches just like that (let alone ones where we actually lost...). That dire Cardiff draw early last year stands out as a similarly horrendous match against a fellow bottom dweller.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing us lose 5-2 at Fulham, 5-0 at Spurs, we’ve obviously been obliterated my Liverpool, Man U and Man C on many occasions (granted they’re far better than us), but even the season we finished 5th under Pardew we still went to places like Wigan and lost 4-0.

It was rare under Rafa that we’d get absolutely stuffed because everyone knew their job to the smallest detail.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm
Yeah, I remember seeing us lose 5-2 at Fulham, 5-0 at Spurs, we’ve obviously been obliterated my Liverpool, Man U and Man C on many occasions (granted they’re far better than us), but even the season we finished 5th under Pardew we still went to places like Wigan and lost 4-0.

It was rare under Rafa that we’d get absolutely stuffed because everyone knew their job to the smallest detail.
Yeah, it's true we rarely got blown out under him, which would have been inexcusable given the tactics played and his attention to detail. But last week was the first time we'd really been blown out under Bruce, but people were already mad we looked so toothless, especially against a bottom half side - which I really didn't think was any different than much of the time under Rafa - especially early in the season.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:46 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah, it's true we rarely got blown out under him, which would have been inexcusable given the tactics played and his attention to detail. But last week was the first time we'd really been blown out under Bruce, but people were already mad we looked so toothless, especially against a bottom half side - which I really didn't think was any different than much of the time under Rafa - especially early in the season.
I’d say Norwich stuffed us, the consolation flattered us. I think the anger follows on from getting dominated at home by Brighton.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Points to Rafas last two results at home to Brighton and exits the thread...

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 pm
Points to Rafas last two results at home to Brighton and exits the thread...
Agree, but it’s more a cumulative effect of those games, and even Watford at home where we were terrible for large spells. With Rafa it always seemed inevitable that it would work eventually, I definitely don’t get that impression with Bruce in charge.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 pm

I don't think we particularly got that with Rafa though for a long time, we played badly in the Championship and ground out results, it took a long time for us to look remotely organised rather than parking the bus. We've started really badly, but I'm not writing us off just yet.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Again we’re in a fortunate position that there’s a lot of utter s*** in the league so we’re not cut adrift!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 pm
Again we’re in a fortunate position that there’s a lot of utter s*** in the league so we’re not cut adrift!
We're second bottom. I wouldn't call that so fortunate. It's going to be a hard slog, whatever way you look at it.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 am

CIH wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:49 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 pm
We're second bottom. I wouldn't call that so fortunate. It's going to be a hard slog, whatever way you look at it.
One win potentially puts us around 13th. Given our bad start to the season I’d say that’s fortunate.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:04 am

That Brighton result looks a bit better today...

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:30 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:04 am
That Brighton result looks a bit better today...
Unlike the Norwich one <roll>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 am

We took the hit so that everyone else could find them out afterwards...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 am
We took the hit so that everyone else could find them out afterwards...
Man City maybe should have watched the tape then too <whistle>