WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 8/10 NOVEMBER 2019

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 8/10 NOVEMBER 2019

Post by krully » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm
Not exactly sure where TAA was supposed to put his hand for the second penalty appeal. Liverpool were the better team.
How much they paying you 😂🤔

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 am

krully wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Not exactly sure where TAA was supposed to put his hand for the second penalty appeal. Liverpool were the better team.
How much they paying you 😂🤔
I think the first one should have been a penalty to City, not the second one.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
The rules don't make sense anymore. VAR is f***ing ruining the game.
The rules for a long time haven't made sense, VAR just highlights that. VAR has meant trying to apply the letter of the law, when for things like offside and hand balls is actually pretty nonsensical. Leagues are in a tough spot now that everyone can be watching repeated slow motion replays in 4K quality, while refs are making calls in real time from 25 yards away. But I do agree they need to do better to reconcile the rules and reality of replay.

I don't like how the PL is executing VAR, it's slowed down play way more than in other leagues I watch, for example in MLS, you wouldn't even know plays are being reviewed unless there's actually a changed call - wherein it becomes a stalled talking point every time in the PL this year.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 pm

For a long time the Premier League have been protecting referees far too much. They've tried acting like they can't be wrong at all. This has lead to VAR being borderline useless.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Yep. A combination of refs thinking "leave it to VAR" and the VAR refs not wanting to overrule the on field ref means that fewer and fewer things will be given. Well, at least we'll rule out plenty of perfectly good goals for pathetically marginal offsides. Job done.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm
Yep. A combination of refs thinking "leave it to VAR" and the VAR refs not wanting to overrule the on field ref means that fewer and fewer things will be given. Well, at least we'll rule out plenty of perfectly good goals for pathetically marginal offsides. Job done.
To be fair, for far too long refs have been wrongly blowing play dead for wrong offsides and preventing goals too. I've always thought it crazy with how few goals are scored in football, and how often that happens, it'd never been treated as a bigger deal. I do completely agree though that the rule needs to be loosened so as to require the attacking player actually be gaining an advantage, and not have players leaning an inch the wrong way be called for it.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 pm

I still think it should be more like tennis where each side gets a certain number of calls per game and it's up to them how/when/if they decide to use them. Numerous decisions are now taking up to 3 minutes to decide due to the level of micro-analysis going on which is ridiculous. During Everton v Spurs a few weeks ago they looked at the Alli handball appeal 26 times before deciding no penalty. If it's not clear enough to decide after watching it 3 or 4 times then it's not clear and obvious so move on and go with the referees decision.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 pm
I still think it should be more like tennis where each side gets a certain number of calls per game and it's up to them how/when/if they decide to use them. Numerous decisions are now taking up to 3 minutes to decide due to the level of micro-analysis going on which is ridiculous. During Everton v Spurs a few weeks ago they looked at the Alli handball appeal 26 times before deciding no penalty. If it's not clear enough to decide after watching it 3 or 4 times then it's not clear and obvious so move on and go with the referees decision.
Completely agree with that. There's absolutely a point in which looking at it any more times isn't going to make the decision more clear.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 pm
That's fine but it was a blatant penalty as well <laugh> <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Oh yeah it was 100% a pen <laugh>