Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Hjl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm
Hjl wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 pm
Apparently they are talking about bringing back Rafa. That would be incredibly unfair. Bruce has done a better job this season than Rafa did last season if you ask me.
Better pointS wise but the football has been even worse imo. I know football is all about points but I haven’t really enjoyed a game this season barring the first half against West Ham .
I enjoyed robbing Chelsea.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm
Hjl wrote:
Apparently they are talking about bringing back Rafa. That would be incredibly unfair. Bruce has done a better job this season than Rafa did last season if you ask me.
Better pointS wise but the football has been even worse imo. I know football is all about points but I haven’t really enjoyed a game this season barring the first half against West Ham .
How many games did you enjoy in the last three seasons? I can't think of many.

Regardless, Rafa's in China for a reason and that's because the big European clubs aren't interested. If we get a takeover going back to him seems an incredibly lazy option.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Hjl wrote:
Rafa always finished the season much stronger than he started it. Not just at Newcastle either. It's just his thing. Both seasons in the Prem we were awesome second half of the season. Bruce, meanwhile, will be lucky to have fit 11 players.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Hjl wrote:
Rafa always finished the season much stronger than he started it. Not just at Newcastle either. It's just his thing. Both seasons in the Prem we were awesome second half of the season. Bruce, meanwhile, will be lucky to have fit 11 players.
But we were **** the first half of the season, I'm not sure how that level of inconsistency can be seen as a positive. It's basically Pardews 8 good games 8 bad games routine stretched even further.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Rafa's hardly setting the world alight in China either.
P17
W7
D3
L7

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm

I wouldnt have Rafa back, I generally dont like us going back to players or managers, I didnt even want Keegan back, it's never as good as the first time so for me I like us to just move forward

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm
I wouldnt have Rafa back, I generally dont like us going back to players or managers, I didnt even want Keegan back, it's never as good as the first time so for me I like us to just move forward
Same . I hear poch is free
# stolen from nufc.com :)

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 pm

You'd have thought that we have been taken over as there 10 pages in this thread <erm>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 pm
You'd have thought that we have been taken over as there 10 pages in this thread <erm>
The most active it’s been for a while !
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Rafa … that would be rubbing salt in the wound, with an added dose of lemon juice just to be extra mean.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm

I'll also take the debate in another direction. And I ask this anytime a takeover is rumoured. Just because the potential buyer/investor is rich, do we know they actually want to spend their money? Do we know they want to hire good front office staff, build some stability, and care about winning trophies? Or is it an investment made to make money or market a company/country? Sheikh Mansour is sports obsessive and for all the corporate and/or political benefits Man City has provided, he clearly loves football and has done everything possible to build a perpetual winner. But for every Man City or PSG, there have been plenty of half-assed takeovers that don't actually have the ambition, knowledge or loose purse strings everyone presumes before pen hits paper.

Edit: I suppose the good thing about it, is that outside the Saudi part of the rumour you have people associated with football experience and interest.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:43 pm

You know what I really hate about this particular takeover rumour? It just makes it more f***ing annoying to support this club.

I had a choice. I could have literally supported any f***ing club in England but it had to be this bunch of silverware averse **** I've spent 30+ years following like a religion.

I'm Scottish for fucks sake. I should have gone Man Utd, Liverpool or some team who had some semblance of success in the mid 80s. I had the God given right as a Jock to be a f***ing glory supporter and I f***ed it all up!

Getting Ashley into the club should have been momentous. Getting rid if Ashley should be momentous.

But here we are.

Banishing an individual cronut for a regime of cunts and still I have this desire to think "f*** it! I was here before you and I'll be here after you"

Arse.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:43 pm
You know what I really hate about this particular takeover rumour? It just makes it more f***ing annoying to support this club.

I had a choice. I could have literally supported any f***ing club in England but it had to be this bunch of silverware averse **** I've spent 30+ years following like a religion.

I'm Scottish for fucks sake. I should have gone Man Utd, Liverpool or some team who had some semblance of success in the mid 80s. I had the God given right as a Jock to be a f***ing glory supporter and I f***ed it all up!

Getting Ashley into the club should have been momentous. Getting rid if Ashley should be momentous.

But here we are.

Banishing an individual cronut for a regime of cunts and still I have this desire to think "f*** it! I was here before you and I'll be here after you"

Arse.
Sometimes I wish the Scottish side of my family (albeit with very strong ties to the North East) had dragged me into Annan Athletic, Queen of the South or Killie. <laugh>

I've got Gateshead but f*** it just makes Newcastle more annoying. Clubs owners/prospective owners couldn't be further apart .

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Yeah I had adults in my family trying to get me to support one of Man U, Spurs, Chelsea or the Toon. And I plumped for our rabble.

And now Guernsey FC, which was only formed in 2011. So I have that to fall back on.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm
Yeah I had adults in my family trying to get me to support one of Man U, Spurs, Chelsea or the Toon. And I plumped for our rabble.

And now Guernsey FC, which was only formed in 2011. So I have that to fall back on.
Can't tempt you with a glory hunting switch to Jersey Bulls can I? <roll>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm

I never grew up with football. I'm from the Manchester area and the vast majority of my family are Manchester United or Liverpool fans. I started following Newcastle in the 09/10 Championship table. Had my reasons. Haven't looked back since, and won't. There has been some really great discussions in this thread so far, and whilst it has nearly boiled over a couple of times, it hasn't devolved into something none of us would be proud of. I think that at the very least illustrates the good sense of the forum users, if not our fans as a whole. If there is a takeover, and an end to the Ashley regime (the only one I have known) regardless of whom steps in, I would tacitly believe that we would all back the team and the club we know and want to love. I'm not going to enter the ethical arena about Saudi Arabia or whatever else, not least because most of my arguments have already been stated. For me personally, I chose to support this club of my own free volition. It's had it's ups and downs and it's Pardews, but it's been nothing if not exciting.

I don't get to many matches, although I wish I could. I can't always afford a replica shirt, and most seasons don't buy one. But I will watch our team and support our team as often as I can, and as long as I can. I've no geographical or familial relationship to this club, but I do bloody love it.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

TheCrimsonNecklace
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by TheCrimsonNecklace » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 am

This is my first post, after being a lurker for God knows how long. Don't have a connection to the area really but Newcastle were the first team I ever saw live and before that Shearer was my hero, a 0-0 draw with Charlton cemented it all somehow.

But on this topic, I think it just seems to come down to whether people can separate the football from the owners or not. Those who will still support the team clearly don't condone the actions of the Saudi regime. For what it's worth I would rather it didn't happen, I think the Khashoggi thing is stuck in my head and I read quite alot about it at the time. However, it will probably all be irrelevant - I bet it falls through.

I would add the tone of the discussion on here as others have said is refreshing, compared to social media.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 am

If it does happen, I really hope there aren't too many idiots fashion thwaubs out of teatowels and 'celebrate' our new owners..

Ful disclosure, I currently sit in my in laws place in UAE wearing an indoor lounge wear version of Arabic dress and f*** it's comfy
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:30 am

BigMarket wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 pm
Would you be happy if Kim Jong-un replaced Ashley?
I've just spent way too long imagining all of the consequences of this.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:31 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 am
If it does happen, I really hope there aren't too many idiots fashion thwaubs out of teatowels and 'celebrate' our new owners..
This. I've seen a lot on Twitter (I know...) where people are slating those still going now with the "support the team not the regime" attitude, completely forgetting that means they're either going to adopt the same attitude if the Saudi's come in, or that they're going to support the regime too which is frankly terrifying.