Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Rumour is Racing point also fall foul.

Apparently RB are also going to contest the legality of the DAS
So if Racing Point fall foul, given they've been accused of simply copying the Mercedes from last year; mean the Merc from last season should have been illegal?

As for DAS legality, the FIA have already given the green light under the current regulations so can't see that as an issue.

There seems to be a lot of underhand play going on between teams. Imagine if the FIA ban every result and Williams have a top 4 finish :)

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Rumour is Racing point also fall foul.

Apparently RB are also going to contest the legality of the DAS
So if Racing Point fall foul, given they've been accused of simply copying the Mercedes from last year; mean the Merc from last season should have been illegal?

As for DAS legality, the FIA have already given the green light under the current regulations so can't see that as an issue.

There seems to be a lot of underhand play going on between teams. Imagine if the FIA ban every result and Williams have a top 4 finish :)
Unless they've copied from this year too!

Apparently RB are arguing about the meaning of the word steer, I guess it's an appeal on the ruling.

I can just imagine the first race being a RB 1-2 and Russell finishing the podium at this rate.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 pm

McLaren have withdrawn from the race this weekend after a member of the team was tested as positive for CV.

Will this race count towards official championship points if a team drops out? Brawn mentioned that if teams were prohibited from participating by the host country then the race wouldn't officially count.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 pm
McLaren have withdrawn from the race this weekend after a member of the team was tested as positive for CV.

Will this race count towards official championship points if a team drops out? Brawn mentioned that if teams were prohibited from participating by the host country then the race wouldn't officially count.
Surprised any of the races are going ahead MotoGP just confirmed that the COTA round has been cancelled so that's the first 3 rounds binned and Argintina looking dodgy as well.
Edit: Argintina confirmed as cancelled just now.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm

BBC reporting senior sources saying the Australian GP will be postponed.

Nightmare for fans, postponing so late. Outrageous it's taken so long, esp for international visitors.
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 am

Race has been postponed after several teams objected to taking part.

A last minute change from the organisers meant it would have run without spectators but a few hours later it was finally announced it wouldn't go ahead.

Bahrain likely to be postponed next. China already not running. Vietnam in serious doubt due to travel restrictions.

Given that the paddock amounts to about 4000 people per race weekend and they all work in close proximity, the teams will most likely be the main driver behind objections to competing.

This does raise the question of when the new season will actually start and how reduced will the season be in terms of races as there is very little chance of F1 re-arranging and racing on the postponed fixtures.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am

Logistically it's almost impossible to slot races in, it'll just have to be a reduced calendar (still with far more races than you'd get in years gone by).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am
Logistically it's almost impossible to slot races in, it'll just have to be a reduced calendar (still with far more races than you'd get in years gone by).
Bahrain and Vietnam have been postponed so that's 4 races off the calendar so the season could potentially start with the Dutch GP.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:45 pm

What an absolute shambles. Cancelling the race weekend after fans had already turned up. I was following it live (FP1 was due to start 9pm here) and nobody had a clue what was going on. Seb and Kimi were apparently on a flight before the race was even officially cancelled, and marshals at the race were being told it was going ahead.
Complete farce to not do it earlier, suspect the FIA , government and the organisers etc were all waiting for someone else to blink to avoid being financially liable.
Rumours are the season will start in Baku with no summer break for one or two of the cancelled races to be held.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pm

And 2021 regulations postponed till 2022, plus this year’s chassis to be used next year. Financial regulations will apply still. I wonder at what point this season becomes not a real season.
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 12, 2020 6:58 am

Vettel to leave Ferrari at the end of the season.

No surprise really as he's been off the pace for a few years now and makes far too many mistakes which have cost the team dearly.

Thoughts are he may move to McLaren.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 am

Yeah not surprised really...interesting thing is who replaces him...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am

Daniel Ricciardo is to race for McLaren in 2021, taking the seat of Carlos Sainz, who will move to Ferrari.

Sainz and Le Clerc is a good combo, could be decent - though I'm sure Ferrari will find a way to screw it up...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Can't see any possibility of an F1 race in Brazil this year given the Brazilian president's stance on coronavirus.

I still think the season will be scrapped as they won't be able to stage enough races to constitute a Championship season especially as the season will run into possible second wave outbreaks in the late autumn/winter.

Even holding double races at a venue looks to be impossible.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Yeah I really don't see how they can do anything this year with travel restrictions, logistics, social distancing etc. Nigh on impossible. And even if there were races in front of no fans for a 'mini championship' what's the point?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Looks like they'll be about 8 races at this rate with 2 in Britain, 2 in Austria and the remaining 4 elsewhere depending on how things are.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 pm

Seems a bit pointless to me, whoever is crowned ‘champion’ won’t really be a champion given there’s so few races. For example, if Hamilton wins it again it won’t really put him on 6.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 pm

Seems a bit pointless to me, whoever is crowned ‘champion’ won’t really be a champion given there’s so few races. For example, if Hamilton wins it again it won’t really put him on 6.
Yeah more like 6.5

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 am

PTAO? wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 pm

Yeah more like 6.5
Haha oh yeah, I lost track of how many he had!

But he, nor anyone else would count this 'season' of 8 races as World Championship win.