New squad after potential takeover

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

New squad after potential takeover

Post by Toon Ireland » Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 pm

If and when the takeover goes through who would like us to sign and who from the current squad do you think could survive in the long run?

I think Dubravka, most of the CBs, Miggy, St. Max and the Longstaff's could all have a future here, maybe as starters or not.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: New squad after potential takeover

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat May 02, 2020 11:11 pm

The fact that Matty Longstaff's contract doesn't have long to run make a difference. The rest I agree with, and also almost all of our sqaud. I personally don't think we will sell off many of our players, because there simply isn't the market for them - even before covid. Looks like Manquillo might move on. Likes of Murphy, Colback, Saivet, Lazaar will get shifted if they can find a home. For the first team, I doubt it, would be a buyers market really. Did Fernandez sign a new deal? I don't recall. If he has then I can see is trying to flog Clark. We aren't going to just completely replace the squad all of a sudden, if and when the takeover goes through. We could hopefully get some interest for Shelvey from bottom half prem/top half championship teams.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sun May 03, 2020 10:16 am

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus or incomings, it will be gradual
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun May 03, 2020 1:26 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:16 am
I don't think we'll see a mass exodus or incomings, it will be gradual
Yeah, agreed.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm

Both back up goalkeepers could easily be moved on. Darlow definitely should go but Elliot should be given a choice. If he's happy to be third choice then stay.

The full back areas will probably get a huge overhaul. Manquillo is out of contract and nothing appears to be happening and Yedlin apparently wants to move back to the MLS. Krafth is a weird one, he might get time but then again he might be moved on so we'll possibly need 2 RB's. Willems might sign permanently or Rose might, rather have Willems though. Wouldn't shock me if one of Dummett/Clark is moved on.

Lejeune is probably our best defender imo but he's another that wouldn't surprise me if he left.

As for our midfield and attack, it's a whole lot of average with a few exceptions. Miggy and ASM have obvious class. Atsu needs to be moved on along with Gayle and Muto. We should probably stick with Joelinton a bit longer and Carroll could do a job as player/coach. Hayden, Shelvey, SLongstaff, Ritchie and Bentaleb are all bang average or inconsistent. Youth is on SLongstaffs side but we need to add quality and shift a couple of the others. MLongstaff has bags of potential and needs a new deal.

Lazaar, Colback, Aarons, Murphy, Saivet, Sterry all need to be moved on.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Sun May 03, 2020 7:26 pm

Yeah hopefully it will be a work in progress, 2 FBs 1 being willems, a striker and maybe a cm would be a great start.
With a lot of clubs possibly being strapped for cash after this virus situation we might find it easier to sell some of the weaker players but you never know.
Before all that though, I think a new manager is more important. Sorry Steve

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun May 03, 2020 9:04 pm

if we dont bring in the likes of mbappe and halaand, complete disaster

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun May 03, 2020 9:48 pm

krully wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:04 pm
if we dont bring in the likes of mbappe and halaand, complete disaster
Not proven enough for my liking. Maradona, Best and Pelé or I’m not watching.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Mon May 04, 2020 8:04 am

I'd also like to see us bring back the long football shorts like they had in the 1950s.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm

I'd like to see six new players brought in for the first team for next season;

- - - - - - - Dubravka - - - - - -
RB - Lascelles - Lejeune - LB
- - - - - - - DM - CM - - - - - -
- RW - - - Almiron - - - ASM -
- - - - - - - - -ST - - - - - - - -

Keeping a lot of the previous first choices as squad players (i'd keep manquillo if possible), and moving on those that are then surplus to requirements if possible. I reckon wages on any new contracts will be impacted from covid so players will be reluctant to move as it would represent a pay cut. -
-
Get rid of Darlow, Krafth, Yedlin, Clark, Atsu, Murphy, Gayle, Muto (and any others i cant even remember) and loan out the Longstaffs

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm
I'd like to see six new players brought in for the first team for next season;

- - - - - - - Dubravka - - - - - -
RB - Lascelles - Lejeune - LB
- - - - - - - DM - CM - - - - - -
- RW - - - Almiron - - - ASM -
- - - - - - - - -ST - - - - - - - -

Keeping a lot of the previous first choices as squad players (i'd keep manquillo if possible), and moving on those that are then surplus to requirements if possible. I reckon wages on any new contracts will be impacted from covid so players will be reluctant to move as it would represent a pay cut. -
-
Get rid of Darlow, Krafth, Yedlin, Clark, Atsu, Murphy, Gayle, Muto (and any others i cant even remember) and loan out the Longstaffs
I'd keep Clark as back up to Lejeune at the very least (so would probably get 35 starts), possibly even ahead of Lascelles who has gone downhill massively in the last couple of seasons.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am

Don't forget we still have Schar, Fernandez and Dummett, 6 CBs for 2 slots is probably overkill. I agree though, Lascelles wouldn't be one of my two.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 am

Colly wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am
Don't forget we still have Schar, Fernandez and Dummett, 6 CBs for 2 slots is probably overkill. I agree though, Lascelles wouldn't be one of my two.
If I had to rank them:

Schar
Lejeune
Clark
Fernandez
Lascelles
Dummett

If we ever want to start playing it out from the back, we cannot do that with Dummett in the side.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 05, 2020 9:06 am

Mines probably the same, though obviously with a bit of tweaking for partnerships (I love Schar and Lejeune but I'm wary of both together). Dummett as 5th choice and LB cover until we start spending silly money on defenders feels fine to me.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

I'd have Clark 5th in that ranking.

Also Lascelles was at his best in a 4 at the back, him and Lejeune 2 seasons ago are the best our defence has looked since Colo was at his peak

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm

If we're moving to four at the back I'd keep Schar, Lejeune, Lascelles and Fernandez as the CB's. I'd also keep Dummett around as LB cover / 5th choice CB. I'd move Clark on.

Though if we are looking to strengthen at CB (which wouldn't be my priority) then I'd move on both Clark and Fernandez to make room for the new player.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 pm

Clark can be our number 9.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Clark can be our number 9.
He's probably a more natural finisher than Joelinton <laugh>

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am

ALF wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm
Both back up goalkeepers could easily be moved on. Darlow definitely should go but Elliot should be given a choice. If he's happy to be third choice then stay.

The full back areas will probably get a huge overhaul. Manquillo is out of contract and nothing appears to be happening and Yedlin apparently wants to move back to the MLS. Krafth is a weird one, he might get time but then again he might be moved on so we'll possibly need 2 RB's. Willems might sign permanently or Rose might, rather have Willems though. Wouldn't shock me if one of Dummett/Clark is moved on.

Lejeune is probably our best defender imo but he's another that wouldn't surprise me if he left.

As for our midfield and attack, it's a whole lot of average with a few exceptions. Miggy and ASM have obvious class. Atsu needs to be moved on along with Gayle and Muto. We should probably stick with Joelinton a bit longer and Carroll could do a job as player/coach. Hayden, Shelvey, SLongstaff, Ritchie and Bentaleb are all bang average or inconsistent. Youth is on SLongstaffs side but we need to add quality and shift a couple of the others. MLongstaff has bags of potential and needs a new deal.

Lazaar, Colback, Aarons, Murphy, Saivet, Sterry all need to be moved on.
This. Look at Man City at the start they spent on quality players like Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho, etc but then built a solid core of players in Yaya Toure, Aguero, Kompany, Zabaleta & David Silva which provided them with longevity. They also had home-grown players like Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland, Richard Dunne, Joe Hart, Shaun Wright Phillips, etc

The process has some have said will be gradual, I don't expect any major changes this year apart from one or two marquee signings to make a statement such as Countinho / Cavani but then then make sensible and realistic signings in Willam (on a free), Kurzawa (PSG LB on a free) if we don't get Rose / Jetro, maybe a quality RB or two with Manquillo / Yeds exiting, CB's are fine for now but if we do want to shift them I say get rid of Clark and let Dummet be 4th choice CB cover or get rid of both Clark / Fernandez OR Dummet and get a quality CB to partner Lascelles/Schar/Lejune.

In midfield we shoud look to keep the Longstaff brothers weather they starters or bench warmers remains to be seen. Jonjo might have to be shifted (linked to West Ham recently), Keep Hayden / Bentaleb as squad players and get a quality CM such as Donny Van de Beek (if we looking to make a statement) or that Lille CM that we were planning on getting in Jan.

In attack as mentioned we should go for quality freebies like Willam/Mertens/Cavani/Gotze/Ryan Fraser?? If we looking to make a statement then Coutinho but more realistically why not go for someone young and with bags of potential like Morelos / Eduaurdo from the SPL (Rangers / Celtic respectively) or Moussa Dembele from Lyon. Jonathan David from Gent is a prospect too 23 goals in 40 apps and only 20 years old linked to Bayern/Arsenal/etc. We need to keep ASM and Miggy around the starting Xi as they are class and will only get better with age both need to stay !

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 25, 2020 12:14 pm

I agree with above though Mertens has signed a new deal with Napoli.

I'd say we'd try to make a marquee signing alright though without European football it would be hard to attract the better players without getting out the cheque book (obviously not going to an issue but could lead to team Morale issues)
I'll Hazard a guess