Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 am

Its sad how some of our fans have went conspiracy theory (like some man city fans) and even attacking those who talk about human rights. Football fans reflect society and in society we have tribal, insular and aggressive people. Sigh
Again though, these are Twitter "fans". Like Benny I now follow nothing other than the club and a couple of associated accounts (Bobby Robson Foundation, United with Pride etc) and sadly even that is enough to see too much NUFC360 and other assorted bollocks. I very much doubt Ken who sits next to me gives two s**** about this whole situation.

I miss Ken. :(
Yeah its not everyone. But then again is it that dis-similar to some of the awful behaviour I've seen from some of our away support? Not in my opinion.
Its a bit like the fascists who were 'protesting' in London this weekend. I saw lots of "these aren't real football fans" but it was organised by "football lads alliance" which comes from "firms". Football hooligan culture still exists and we shouldn't ignore it
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 am

ALF wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:13 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am
I’ve unfollowed everything Newcastle related on twitter as I’m sick of our fans moaning and berating anyone and everyone for a supposed anti-NUFC agenda (bollocks). And why would a US group bid £50m more than Ashley previously accepted <laugh>
I don't think there's an anti-Newcastle agenda from most, although Miguel Delaney has a serious agenda.

But I don't think the PL want anyone to gatecrash the big 6 party and there's a chance this could do that. There's no reason that PIF should fail an owners and directors test and never before has there been so much scrutiny over a takeover. I know the PL and EFL are different but when you look at the people who have been in charge of Sunderland and Charlton recently you have to question what is going on and why.
Genuine Question here. Why wouldn't the PL want more money flowing in? Why do they want to protect the big 6, I can't see the logic tbh.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 am
ALF wrote:

I don't think there's an anti-Newcastle agenda from most, although Miguel Delaney has a serious agenda.

But I don't think the PL want anyone to gatecrash the big 6 party and there's a chance this could do that. There's no reason that PIF should fail an owners and directors test and never before has there been so much scrutiny over a takeover. I know the PL and EFL are different but when you look at the people who have been in charge of Sunderland and Charlton recently you have to question what is going on and why.
Genuine Question here. Why wouldn't the PL want more money flowing in? Why do they want to protect the big 6, I can't see the logic tbh.
No idea tbh. It's like financial fair play rules though, they're there purely so the top clubs stay at the top.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 am

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 am
Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am

Again though, these are Twitter "fans". Like Benny I now follow nothing other than the club and a couple of associated accounts (Bobby Robson Foundation, United with Pride etc) and sadly even that is enough to see too much NUFC360 and other assorted bollocks. I very much doubt Ken who sits next to me gives two s**** about this whole situation.

I miss Ken. :(
Yeah its not everyone. But then again is it that dis-similar to some of the awful behaviour I've seen from some of our away support? Not in my opinion.
Its a bit like the fascists who were 'protesting' in London this weekend. I saw lots of "these aren't real football fans" but it was organised by "football lads alliance" which comes from "firms". Football hooligan culture still exists and we shouldn't ignore it
Without a doubt, I've been ashamed to be near some of our away (and home friendly/cup) support. Always feels like a bunch of kids who've been told "this is how you act at football".

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am

It's pretty much coming full circle, the hooligans over here basically "taught" the rest of the world how to be a hooligan. As it died down here it grew over there, now our newer generations are getting inspired by the firms abroad so its increasing again over here.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm

This pretty much sums up the last 3 months.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am
It's pretty much coming full circle, the hooligans over here basically "taught" the rest of the world how to be a hooligan. As it died down here it grew over there, now our newer generations are getting inspired by the firms abroad so its increasing again over here.
Yeah with the added fuel of social media notoriety.

I'm part way through '1312: Amongst the Ultras' by James Montague and West Ham comes up so much. Some of these 'fan groups' are just organised crime, pure and simple. Not at all something to aspire to.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Nobody seems to mind that Wolves have Chinese owners, a country of 1 billion people and zero human rights.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Nobody cares who owns any other club in the league, until they're richer than the rest of the league combined.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 pm
Nobody seems to mind that Wolves have Chinese owners, a country of 1 billion people and zero human rights.
Because they were in the championship at the time so nobody cared.... and because they’re Wolves <roll>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
While I'm sure Wolves owners may have some skeletons, there's a massive difference between being owned by Chinese businessmen and being owned by the rulers of the country. I'd have few qualms if some random Saudis were buying us.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:13 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
While I'm sure Wolves owners may have some skeletons, there's a massive difference between being owned by Chinese businessmen and being owned by the rulers of the country. I'd have few qualms if some random Saudis were buying us.
I agree.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm sure the recent report stated that PIF were separate to the rulers of the country.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm

The Saudi Public Investment Fund, set up to invest Saudi government money, chaired by the Crown Prince, is separate to the rulers of the country?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:13 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I’m fairly sure the Fosun group who bought Wolves were heavily “influenced” to do so by China’s president who actively wanted more Chinese involvement in premier league football. Not much difference in my opinion , two countries with very dubious human rights issues . One passed with no issues and yet ours is being scrutinised by every person under the sun. It feels biased when you look at PSG , shef Utd , citeh ect.
On a different note , This is a genuine question but why shouldn’t they be allowed to invest in football clubs ? Surely the fact that they are doing this is casting more eyes and scrutiny on the state ?.
I don’t think this is purely a monetary investment, there would be far better options than us out there.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:28 pm

I think that's probably been covered elsewhere in this thread, and otherwise there are far cleverer people than me explaining how sportswashing works. I doubt any of the sport/entertainment investments made by the PIF are there to make money, it's solely to improve their image as a cool modern thing and hide the less cool thing.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:28 pm
I think that's probably been covered elsewhere in this thread, and otherwise there are far cleverer people than me explaining how sportswashing works. I doubt any of the sport/entertainment investments made by the PIF are there to make money, it's solely to improve their image as a cool modern thing and hide the less cool thing.
Some idiot journo thought it would be a cool buzzword without actually thinking through the logic of what it means.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm

ALF wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am
I’ve unfollowed everything Newcastle related on twitter as I’m sick of our fans moaning and berating anyone and everyone for a supposed anti-NUFC agenda (bollocks). And why would a US group bid £50m more than Ashley previously accepted <laugh>

Considering "the big 6" is an invention of only a couple years ago, I struggle to believe that. It's in the league's best interests to have as many big money, high-profile clubs as possible. The more stars playing in the league, the more international eyes on it, the more money they can sell TV rights for. Which again, is why the TV piracy is a big deal. KSA has been stealing profits from the league and hurting negotiating rights for future TV contracts (these are literally multi-billion pound contracts). Should that be more important than human rights? No. But it is a direct offence against the business they're now trying to get a cut of.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:40 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm
Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Some idiot journo thought it would be a cool buzzword without actually thinking through the logic of what it means.
The logic is pretty sound. The very public plans and policy of KSA and PIF talk very explicitly about making investments in entertainment (e.g. WWE) and sports (e.g. football) to improve their national image and profile. It's not some buzzword conspiracy theory, they're very proud of that part of their global investment strategy.