18% 0-1
24% 0-2

We should aim to have 0% possession and we might actually score a few

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: Match thread - NUFC v Citeh - FA cup QF

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm

2nd half makes the 1st so much more frustrating, just not up to it, lost possession too easily, daft mistakes, didn't take chances.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Yeah, to beat City you need to play as perfectly as you’re capable of, have every player on their game, and hope they have an off day. We did none of those things.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Absolutely gutted by the prformance rather than the result. So disappointing after looking forward to the game, our biggest in years, for so long.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Honestly the only two positives are (as I've said already) that I'm getting the two match tickets I bought refunded, and the fact that that's a reminder of what playing against basically anyone in the top half looked like under Rafa and I never want to see it again.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Pathetic. Didnt even have a go

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 pm
ALF wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm
Lazaro looks exciting.
I assume this is sarcasm...?

I’ve been so disappointed with him since he joined.
Agreed, he's done nowt really. Should have pulled out the stops for Bowen, would have rounded out our attacking midfield three nicely and had our team looking a lot more of a goal threat (which is sorely needed).

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 pm

If Bruce wanted to embellish his chances of being manager after the takeover then he has just f***ed it.

Dreadful 1st half tactics- literally the worst half match on our part I have EVER WITNESSED.

In 2nd half why take of Almiron ??

Is he saving him for the league- which Is done and dusted.

That's the last chance if success for Bruce - he f***ed it and should now be replaced if we have new owners with money to spend .

Embarrassed by that performance .

This us supposed to be entertainment-
.... Id rather stick drawing pins in my eyeballs than sit through that s**** again

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 pm
If Bruce wanted to embellish his chances of being manager after the takeover then he has just f***ed it.

Dreadful 1st half tactics- literally the worst half match on our part I have EVER WITNESSED.

In 2nd half why take of Almiron ??

Is he saving him for the league- which Is done and dusted.

That's the last chance if success for Bruce - he f***ed it and should now be replaced if we have new owners with money to spend .

Embarrassed by that performance .

This us supposed to be entertainment-
.... Id rather stick drawing pins in my eyeballs than sit through that s**** again
This. Game was over and done with by the 1st half. Bruce blew his chance tbh.. this was our ''cup'' final and we came out in a ultra defensive 9-1-1 formation which stunted us and we could rarely get out of our own half. Terrible negative tactics/formation. Why did we have to wait to go 0-1 down to then change it to a more forward thinking and relatively positive 4-3-3 formation which in turn put pressure on City and we nearly scored.. but I guess that's the difference between a top quality striker and a average one, moments like that are game changers if Gayle scored we could have been 1-1 with momentum drifting our way and we could have even nicked a win instead they go up the field and score which ends the game for us. Should have kept Miggy on and brought on Muto to give him a chance.

If takeover goes through we need a expansive, free-flowing and adventurous young manager ready to take risks and play positive attacking or possession based football. We need a striker ASAP. Joelinton and Gayle just won't cut it. There not good enough strikers. Joelinton could become a decent no.10 / left-sided forward if he develops his game more to his potential. He just doesn't look like a out and out center forward. We need a clinical finisher who's fast, has intelligent movement and can dribble.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 pm

Pretty much this.

If I had mad Photoshop skills, I'd put Bruce/Pep's face on it

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:22 am

The worst part for me was that our otherwise competent players lost the ability to play football. I wasn't expecting us to have a lot of the ball, but when we did have it we became incapable of passing it. They completely bottled it last night and there were no positives that I can take from that at all. Other than Gayle's chance, I don't remember us doing anything noteworthy.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 am

I don't think anyone (other than forced defensive clearances) gave the ball away more than ASM in the first half. I know it's difficult under the circumstances, but if you're playing like that you need your better players to be spot on and we didn't have that yesterday.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 am

Hard for ASM, he did have a poor first touch but was surrounded by 3-4 city players. Pep knew Bruce's plan was:
Get ball
Give to ASM
???
Profit

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 am

If yesterdays' tactics were always the way Bruce was going to play against City then the game was over back in March when the draw was made.

At least there was hope for the three months leading up to the (mis)match but once the whistle blew that was quickly extinguised thanks to our negativity.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 am

Gulf in team footballing ability huge. Tactics and our seemingly fatigued looking players made that quite a going over. Yet, there was THE moment, six yards ffs sake fella, the six yard line <disgrace> <disgrace> <disgrace>
Clydeside & Tyneside

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am

I’m still not sure how me missed that.

Our players will have been knackered just chasing shadows for the first half.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am

At least Gayles miss gave Joelinton the weekend off from over the top criticism.

On a more serious note I think he looked really good again when he came on yesterday, seemed to work hard and tried to make positive things happen, made room for himself and others but never got the right pass, one occasion I remember was him dribbling out from the back passing a couple city players and taking all the pressure off, lays the ball off and makes a bursting run, then one of the Longstaffs just played the ball back to the defence again putting man city back on our 16yd box.

Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the league games.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am
At least Gayles miss gave Joelinton the weekend off from over the top criticism.

On a more serious note I think he looked really good again when he came on yesterday, seemed to work hard and tried to make positive things happen, made room for himself and others but never got the right pass, one occasion I remember was him dribbling out from the back passing a couple city players and taking all the pressure off, lays the ball off and makes a bursting run, then one of the Longstaffs just played the ball back to the defence again putting man city back on our 16yd box.

Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the league games.
Is criticism of Joelinton really that over the top? <scratch>. He cost £40m and has scored four goals, two of which came against Rochdale and Oxford. He really is hopeless, although he has improved slightly (only very slightly) since the season resumed.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 am
I don't think anyone (other than forced defensive clearances) gave the ball away more than ASM in the first half. I know it's difficult under the circumstances, but if you're playing like that you need your better players to be spot on and we didn't have that yesterday.
It was the 9-1-1 tactics completely to blame

Each time we got the ball we were surrounded by City players.

No player can be blamed for any of that

Purely the managers fault

On Your way Brucie

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Just in case it wasn't mentioned enough times ( I counted 6) yesterday by Messrs Shearer, Lineker, Richards, + commentary team...

.... Can I just reiterate that Kevin De Bruyne is a wonderfully wonderfully sublimely gifted footballer.

Just in case anyone wasn't aware