Whiskey Business

Re: New squad after potential takeover

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:08 am
Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 am

Why ?
Homegrown player rule? That's why Scott Carson plays for Man City and Andy Lonergan plays for Liverpool!
I think that's pushing the boundaries of truth somewhat ;)
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 am

Sensible move. As other have pointed out a homegrown player to replace Elliott as third choice. He'll probably never play for us and will be very little in terms of wages. No transfer fee involved as well.

Also it allows Woodman to go out on loan again to continue his development, unless we sell Darlow.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am
biggeordiedave wrote:

Homegrown player rule? That's why Scott Carson plays for Man City and Andy Lonergan plays for Liverpool!
Well that's true. I was having a similar conversation with my mates last night. I was reading an article that mentioned "...former England international Michael Ricketts." <laugh>. He has one cap - 45 mins of a friendly match against the Netherlands. While it's true that he is a former England international, I think it's a bit of a stretch referring to him that way, especially when you would refer to someone like Alan Shearer or David Beckham in the same way <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 am

TJR wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 am
Sensible move. As other have pointed out a homegrown player to replace Elliott as third choice. He'll probably never play for us and will be very little in terms of wages. No transfer fee involved as well.

Also it allows Woodman to go out on loan again to continue his development, unless we sell Darlow.
Isn't darlows contract up soon as well?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 am

Why ?
Woodman ?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Well that's true. I was having a similar conversation with my mates last night. I was reading an article that mentioned "...former England international Michael Ricketts." <laugh>. He has one cap - 45 mins of a friendly match against the Netherlands. While it's true that he is a former England international, I think it's a bit of a stretch referring to him that way, especially when you would refer to someone like Alan Shearer or David Beckham in the same way <laugh>.
Lee Hendrie was on that ITV show a few weeks back where Harry Redknapp took a load of ex internationals to play exhibition games round Europe. John Barnes, Des Walker, Lee "15 minutes in a friendly" Hendrie.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 am

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 am
biggeordiedave wrote:

Woodman ?
I'm assuming Darlow will probably be off in the summer.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Don't read some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories and debates about Gillespie on less...reasonable forums/blogs than this. They brought in an okay local keeper who will be content being third choice and potentially never playing. Every club needs one, and there's certainly no point in wasting a young keeper's developmental time in the role.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Think Darlow has another year on his contract, but can see BigGeordieDave says him being sold come the summer.

Is Woodman good enough to be number 2 for us next season? Will he want to be is more the question I'd have.

Woodman has done very well at Swansea and I know from contacts from there they've expressed an interest in taking him again next season, again this depends on what Woodman himself wants to do.

I think best case scenario is Darlow staying for another year and Woodman going out on loan again next season getting another year under his belt be this with Swansea in Championship though I'd like to see him tested at PL level best case would be Swansea getting promoted via playoffs as I doubt he'd get or maybe Leeds would interested I believe they enquired about him before.
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm
Don't read some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories and debates about Gillespie on less...reasonable forums/blogs than this. They brought in an okay local keeper who will be content being third choice and potentially never playing. Every club needs one, and there's certainly no point in wasting a young keeper's developmental time in the role.
Come on, you can't tell us that and not elaborate...

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm
"Conspiracy theories" has got me interested <divax>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm

When you look at the 3rd choice keepers for every club in the league, it's not a bad signing at all. Woodman needs to play next year and should be ready to be our number 1 pretty soon. Darlow is alright as back up, I wouldn't be convinced if Dubravka got an injury that kept him out a while though.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm
Think Darlow has another year on his contract, but can see BigGeordieDave says him being sold come the summer.

Is Woodman good enough to be number 2 for us next season? Will he want to be is more the question I'd have.

Woodman has done very well at Swansea and I know from contacts from there they've expressed an interest in taking him again next season, again this depends on what Woodman himself wants to do.

I think best case scenario is Darlow staying for another year and Woodman going out on loan again next season getting another year under his belt be this with Swansea in Championship though I'd like to see him tested at PL level best case would be Swansea getting promoted via playoffs as I doubt he'd get or maybe Leeds would interested I believe they enquired about him before.
I'm doubtful any team entering or already in the PL would want to go into the season with an on loan young keeper as their first choice. Keepers are too affordable to not make a bigger investment in the position. Or at least clubs will likely be too risk-adverse to take that leap with a player they're not even investing in the future with.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm
Colly wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have called them that, but it was a lot of bickering about cheap Ashley, Saudis wanting local lads, etc. Making it out to be so much more representative that the club just grabbing a safe third choice keeper to fill out the squad.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm doubtful any team entering or already in the PL would want to go into the season with an on loan young keeper as their first choice. Keepers are too affordable to not make a bigger investment in the position. Or at least clubs will likely be too risk-adverse to take that leap with a player they're not even investing in the future with.
Dean Henderson...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Dean Henderson...
I think it's a little different when he was their keeper for the previous Championship season. So sticking with what got you there and knowing what they have makes sense, also knowing that he's not going to be called back by Man U and they can basically keep him for as long as they want, likely makes that more attractive for the club.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm
ALF wrote:

Dean Henderson...
I think it's a little different when he was their keeper for the previous Championship season. So sticking with what got you there and knowing what they have makes sense, also knowing that he's not going to be called back by Man U and they can basically keep him for as long as they want, likely makes that more attractive for the club.
Based on his performances this season, I wouldn't be so sure Man U wouldn't call him back for next season. De Gea still has obvious quality, but he's dropped a level from what he once was. Not saying Henderson would slot in their straight away, but he seems a confident lad and has made noises about wanting to be number 1 at Man U. Other than that, I agree with sticking with what you've got after they got promoted. I do wonder who Sheffield will go for if they lose Henderson, especially if they get into Europe.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Last couple of days seen a new name mentioned with us, or at least new to me. Wout Weghorst. Others here may be more familiar with him, but personally I've never heard of him. Which is hardly a damning statistic haha. Nearly 28 year old Dutch striker playing for Wolfsburg. 6'4, with 16 goals in 32 league appearances this term. 17 in 34 last season. Supposedly valued at 32m. Arsenal also been linked, more heavily than us it seems. I've not seen anything of him play and don't know much about him, but that record is nothing to sniff at.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm
ALF wrote:

Dean Henderson...
Yeah that is true to be fair. But Leeds will have seen what Woodman can do this season. If they need a keeper there's no reason why they'd not go for a loanee if they think he's good enough. Not like there's much out there that isn't a gamble.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:48 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have called them that, but it was a lot of bickering about cheap Ashley, Saudis wanting local lads, etc. Making it out to be so much more representative that the club just grabbing a safe third choice keeper to fill out the squad.
<laugh>. The thing that will be throwing people is that he's 28 which means he has a good few years left. I'm assuming he's getting more out of this deal personally than just getting paid for never playing. Coaching experience or something maybe. He seems to be very highly though of by Carlisle and Motherwell fans.